[DONE] 6D: Tie SET to setting center af point

Started by Marsu42, September 25, 2013, 09:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

Focus pattern unfortunately don't work on the 6D, the whole ml section has been removed. There is one regression though, which has a large practical impact for action shooting:

Problem: With my 60D & ml, I could quickly set the af to the center point by pressing SET (= *one* click = fast), with the 6D I need to press af select and then SET (= *two* clicks = slow). Yes, this might make the difference between getting the shot you want or not.

Suggestion: Simply re-enable the part of af patterns that ties SET to quickly setting the center af point... shouldn't be too problematic if the 6D af prop is already reverse engineered or the same as 5d2?

1%

It would have to be done custom, you can re-center by writing to the af prop but no mixing points... I have to try to reverse af patterns from 7D as I miss them.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on September 25, 2013, 09:53:01 PMI have to try to reverse af patterns from 7D as I miss them.

Someone on the ml forum (I though it was you) wrote that the af patterns don't work on 6d because the camera ignores writing to the prop? If not, +1000 for af patterns (and also swtiching af patterns based on orientation like Canon does with the 1 pt) - given the bad pattern detection of the 6D outer points, enabling 3 instead of 1 outer point would be great!

Though switching from any point to center like in this feature request wouldn't need af patterns since it's a Canon-supported operation, or is the 6D af prop like the 5d2 prop and reverse engineered enough to do this as a first step?

1%

6D is like 5DIII for patterns, it has dual orientations. It ignores you writing it a xored invalid value, you can switch between auto/center tho.

7D has a pattern system like 5DIII in the canon menus, cross referencing those properties would lead to AF patterns as long as the props aren't missing or inert.

Marsu42

Ok, I've done it myself and created a pull request for the main ml repo - imho this is the proper way to do it, from there it should make its way to the TL repo of 1% eventually: https://bitbucket.org/Marsu42/ml-pull1/commits/2daffdce2c0354bdb94924069f047a59bd3309dc

1%

Make a pull req please? Doesn't look like it would break anything.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on October 02, 2013, 03:57:39 AM
Make a pull req please? Doesn't look like it would break anything.

I made a pull to the main ml repo, and from there it should filter down to your fork. But if you really ask for it, I can create a direct pull this time to TL: https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/pull-request/2/focus-stacking-focus-pattern-fix-for-6d/diff

1%

I have to try and see what the focus stacking thing did. I can see it for silent pics in movie mode... does it help with that?

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on October 02, 2013, 06:27:18 AM
I have to try and see what the focus stacking thing did.

Muhahaha, I've got it - I had liveview disabled in the Canon menu, so it didn't go into lv from START/STOP and also "rate on lv button" didn't work :-)))) ... sorry, I've just unpacked this camera, and put ml on it before actually looking through the Canon menus :-p ...

... you can revert this specific commit:https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/commits/5094d5c6db9d0ac4f08f8389e5c215b185259f7d

The upside of my mistake: We now all know that the "lv button" START/STOP is inert to ml on 6D if lv is disabled in the Canon menu, my 60D does protect/rate in photo play mode either way with lv enabled or disabled.

a1ex

Nice find. This seems camera-specific: on 5D2, the LV button still sends events if LV is disabled in Canon menu (so the "protect" shortcut works there).

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on October 02, 2013, 09:50:33 AM
Nice find. This seems camera-specific: on 5D2, the LV button still sends events if LV is disabled in Canon menu (so the "protect" shortcut works there).

Maybe you can create a #define for it so code can use it, like LV_BTN_PHOTO_MODE_ALWAYS ?

a1ex

Yep, I propose CONFIG_LV_BUTTON_REQUIRES_LV_ENABLED in internals.h, and show a warning in menu if you are going to use that button in photo mode (LV shortcut, maybe ghost image too?).

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on October 02, 2013, 09:57:11 AM
Yep, I propose CONFIG_LV_BUTTON_REQUIRES_LV_ENABLED in internals.h

That phrase doesn't catch the case the camera is in movie mode -> play mode, in this case on 6D the lv button "START/STOP" works just fine. It should be CONFIG_LV_BUTTON_REQUIRES_LV_ENABLED_IN_PHOTO_MODE :-p ... I really cannot think of a much shorter version that says what it should say. Or you take up on the negative proposal I did:

CONFIG_LV_BUTTON_EVENT_ALWAYS // lv *button* also works in photo mode if lv *mode* is disabled

But I'm really getting to much into specifics here :-o, it's really nice hacking ml but I've so many other real life things to do, so I'm signing off for the time being.

a1ex

In movie mode, LV is enabled by definition, no?

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on October 02, 2013, 11:12:56 AM
In movie mode, LV is enabled by definition, no?

Well yes, you can see it this way, so go ahead and take your CONFIG_LV_BUTTON_REQUIRES_LV_ENABLED :-)

1%

I duno, its working fine in deadview.... From cold boot, LV never opened.
Do I need to make a vid?

Protect image is not, in general I think.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on October 02, 2013, 07:12:07 PM
I duno, its working fine in deadview.... From cold boot, LV never opened. Do I need to make a vid?

Ugh? I don't understand what you're saying at all :-o

1%

Its generating the events... so this config would be wrong.

I can rate + now protect in play mode.. but not QR mode after a pic is taken.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on October 02, 2013, 09:06:04 PM
I can rate + now protect in play mode.. but not QR mode after a pic is taken.

Yes, you're correct, it doesn't work in QR either on the 6D or 60D. I never rate in qr, that's why I didn't see it. But I don't think we'll get rate working in QR because Q doesn't show up the Canon play menu, but the shooting options.

But a more important matter: rate via +/- is broken because it screws up navigation when zoomed in :-( ... can you tell me how to detect if play mode is @100% or zoomed in so I can enable or disable this function?

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/245/rating-use-up-down-for-dont-merge-please/diff

1%

Huh? Its working while zoomed in, it just unzooms the pic.

Audionut

Can you determine the AF point used in viewfinder?

Marsu42

Quote from: Audionut on October 03, 2013, 03:02:00 AM
Can you determine the AF point used in viewfinder?

This port to the 6d works exactly as focus pattern shortcuts on other cameras, just that the 6d doesn't do multi-point patterns (yet) ... I've addted the patterns themselves to af_patterns.h, just in case someone has a bright idea on how to enable them :-)

When you switch af points, they light up red and the af is activated on this point (this seems to be required, or can have it as an option? Canon somehow manages to switch the points w/o af'ing).