Anyone knows how to remove mirror in EOS cameras?

Started by Nachelsoul, October 02, 2013, 12:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nachelsoul

I would like to remove the mirror in the 50D to be able to use cinema PL lenses for Raw shooting. I know that is possible. Is there someone who has attemp to do that with success. Thanks.

painya

Would Mirror lock up work? http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/Projects/Mirrorless/canon550mirrorless.html This is a pretty big step I'm sure you know that. If you have 4,000$ floating around you might consider buying an adapter, but that doesn't seem like as viable of an option as removing your mirror.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

ItsMeLenny

Look at the thumb print left on that mirror! Nasty!!

If one is going to modify a 550D to have no mirror, they should go all the way and insert an extra microphone (the inbuilt mic is actually able to take a stereo input).

Then remove the flash along with the capacitor used to charge it.

painya

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on October 03, 2013, 07:25:10 AM
Look at the thumb print left on that mirror! Nasty!!

If one is going to modify a 550D to have no mirror, they should go all the way and insert an extra microphone (the inbuilt mic is actually able to take a stereo input).

Then remove the flash along with the capacitor used to charge it.
What would be the purpose of removing the flash?
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

Audionut

If you think the mirror is unnecessary, the flash probably is too.  *shrugs shoulders*

Nachelsoul

Quote from: painya on October 03, 2013, 04:41:49 AM
Would Mirror lock up work? http://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/Projects/Mirrorless/canon550mirrorless.html This is a pretty big step I'm sure you know that. If you have 4,000$ floating around you might consider buying an adapter, but that doesn't seem like as viable of an option as removing your mirror.
great tutorial, got to do some measures and ready to remove it. Thanks to all

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: Audionut on October 03, 2013, 08:35:00 AM
If you think the mirror is unnecessary, the flash probably is too.  *shrugs shoulders*

Exactly.

No need for a flash on a video camera.

wolf

@painya

great tutorial. after 200.000 I'll try :-)

Removing the flash may save energy.

maxotics

If I hear of cheap bright wide angle lenses that I could put into my 50D and shoot crop mode I'd be seriously tempted into doing this too!   (The current distance from lens to sensor means that EOS lenses must put telephoto optics into wide-angle lens increasing size/cost)

Then I'd want to remove the prism too!  Then I'd have a "Crippled Canon Pocket Cinema Camera" ;)