60D broken (not by ML, but related to ML)

Started by riechard, September 17, 2013, 02:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riechard

When I insert any SD-card my camera displays: "Geen kaart" (No disk). Tethered shooting works fine.
Although it is not caused by ML, I am a little troubled.

I use ML. When no card is inserted (although there is one inserted) I expected the camera not to boot, because the camera will try to boot from a card, right?

I returned it to Canon.

When they repair the SD-card slot and insert a test (non-ML) card, will the native camera boot fail?

Doyle4

Canon cameras boot without a card, the closest thing to what you are saying is "take pictures without card".

riechard

Let me clarify:

My camera doesn't recognize cards anymore: the SD-card slot is broken.
To my surprise the camera boots without a card, surprised because I have set the ML boot-flag.

My question:
When Canon fixes the SD-card slot and inserts a non-ML card in the slot, Will the camera boot at all?
(cause that will confuse them)

Datadogie

As long as the card is not boot enabled when the camera is switched on it will boot as normal. People only have trouble when they delete all the folders in the card instead of formating.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

dmilligan

Canon will probably realize you have the bootflag set, I imagine that canon has hardware diagnostics that they can run on cameras that can tell them all sorts of things, including this. This bootflag may actually exist explicitly for this purpose or something similar (like canon engineers debugging firmware, who knows).

riechard

painya

I'm not sure if this is an issue, but when you format on your computer are your settings FAT or exFAT? I know FAT should always work with canon cameras, and select models work with exFAT.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.