600D: pink silent pictures

Started by escho, September 22, 2013, 11:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

escho

600D, Photo-mode M, no crop, silent pictures simple, Quality raw
TL2.0 compiled 22.9.2013

If I take some single silent pictures, I get a lot of pink pictures.
If I take silent pictures, pressing the shutter release continuously, I get no pink pictures and all is fine.

Why this different behavior?

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

escho

Additional Info, just tested:

Shooting in burst mode: no pink pictures, all is ok.
Shooting in simple mode:  distorted pink pictures.

I do not understand, why there are so many distorted pink pictures in simple mode.  And just this simple-mode is needed for focus-stacking...

Edgar

a1ex

Does it help if you enable the raw histogram, for example? If you do that, LiveView will stay in raw mode.

After enabling raw mode, silent pic code probably needs waiting until the next LV frame, as ETTR already does: auto_ettr_wait_lv_frames should probably be moved in the core and used here too.

escho

The raw histogram was enabled when shooting

Edgar

Doyle4

Try disabling the RAW video module.

iv noticed too many modules sometimes can cause pink frames.

Update: On silent shutter simple mode, pink frames , intervalometer no pink frames. Global draw on, raw histogram on, raw video module disabled and enabled.

Update 2: if you press shutter button then wait a second or so and take another no pink frames, if you press straight after taking a pic, pink frames.

escho

I´m sorry, but I cannot avoid these pink pics. With intervalometer, I get some pink pics too. With TL2.0 it is better than with ML (just compiled ML from the latest sources).  Now I´m waiting for 1% updating the sources of his TL2.0 repo to shoot some more tests.

Edgar

Doyle4

with the very latest today i found that button bashing the shutter button i got pink frames BUT i did forget to put the lens on to M/focus so i think i tricked it out... as for intervalometer i got none.

escho

Hi Doyle, thanks for help

Here a new try with ML compiled from sources 20min ago.

Intervalometer on, 100 shoots, 1frame/s

MF: 4 of 100 frames are pink
AF: 5 of 100 frames are pink

Intervalometer off, Fokusstack on for 100 steps

6 of 100 frames are pink

Intervalometer on, shoot like crazy, 100 shoots

MF: 5 of 100 frames are pink

silent.mo was the only module loaded, camera set to RAW and M

I guess, I cannot use my 600D for focusstacking with silent pictures  :'(

Edgar

a1ex

Can you post some of them? Pink has a lot of meanings, especially in the context of Canon raw images ;)

wolf

looks like there is the same behavior on a 550D. Also the rate ~ 6/100

edit:
tried it in and photo and movie and without global draw. The camera was also triggered remotely without the intervalometer. 

1%

wolf

Quote from: 1% on October 02, 2013, 04:07:18 AM
All cameras with shitty vsync.
Do you think there is no way for stable silent pics with these cams?

a1ex

The first thing needed is a consistent way to reproduce them.

Doyle4

on 600D you are guaranteed to reproduce, for me i get none using Intervalometer though..

my test on all nightlys for pink frames is, Load the silent module, set to simple, button bash for a few photos, then i take a photo every second (these two always produce pinks for me) i move onto Intervalometer, every 4seconds, 2second delay, but like i say i dont get them in Intervalometer for some reason like others.

Doyle4

@wolf,

Was the camera moving in the scene where pink frames occurred? iv noticed most of my pink frames occur when the image on the cameras screen is moving.. when camera is still and screen image is still no pink frames.

wolf

Yes the cam was rotating 20 degree while shooting 100 frames, but if you shot clouds the image is also changing while the camera stands still. 

I have no clue how to force pink frames.

wolf

Just tested with intervalometer. 100% OK for 200 pics. 

wolf

Would it be possible to trigger silent pics like the intervalometer does it set to "Stop after 1 shot" ; "Take 1 shot"?

1%

QuoteI have no clue how to force pink frames.

Turn on MZ or do something else cpu intensive. I can't reproduce on like 7D or 6D but on 600D its fairly easy.

wolf

The camera triggered remotely or with half shutter causes pink frames, with the intervalometer triggered "silent pic" is working fine.

I took a look in the source code (silent.c) and found this.

static unsigned int
silent_pic_take(unsigned int interactive) // for remote release, set interactive=0
{
    if (!silent_pic_enabled) return CBR_RET_CONTINUE;
    if (!lv) force_liveview();
    silent_pic_take_raw(interactive);
    return CBR_RET_STOP;
}

Should I set a "0" there?

"// for remote release" - that's what I like do :-)

Doyle4

ill try with my lcd flipped other way tomorrow but to be honest i cant see that changing anything really could it?

Doyle4

@wolf

Iv tested with pressing the back focus button next to af points and that produces pink frames still.

wolf

Quoteill try with my lcd flipped other way tomorrow but to be honest i cant see that changing anything really could it?
:-)

I did try to understand, where is the difference between taking a single pic with half-shutter and taking it with intervalometer.

The code is too complex for me to understand, but the only difference I found is that the intervalometer does runs a 
lens_wait_readytotakepic(64);
function before shooting, but due to the complexity of the code I'm not really sure.

wolf

I tried to put this function inside silent.c
lens_wait_readytotakepic(64);
int raw_flag = 1;
raw_lv_request();

Doesn't change anything :-(

escho

I switched back to TL2.0 for testing.

Using TragicLantern with focustacking and silent picture, I got much more pink frames (20%), than with magiclantern.

but

If I disable global draw: No more pink frames.

Edgar