Which raw camera would you get?

Started by Malex, September 19, 2013, 09:05:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malex

Hi hi, I'm just wondering which Raw or not raw camera would you get to start as an independant Filmmaker? I'm talking about cameras under 4000€.
There are the Black Magic Cameras (2.5K version, Pocket version and 4K version)
There is the Digital Bolex (not out yet)
There is the new Kineraw MINI
And of course there is the 5DM3 thanx to ML
There are also a lot of Sony, Canon, Panasonic, etc. which are not RAW but are still called Pro cameras in the same range of price.

So the question really is which one would you get if you had 4000€ to spend, and why?
Then same question but with around 2500€ ?

dmilligan

What about lenses? Do you already have some high quality glass? Do you plan on renting lenses? That may significantly influence your decision, as these various cameras have different mounts, and with some of them you might be able to use lenses you already own. Or they might give you greater latitude in the future to upgrade your camera to something new that is still compatible with your lens collection.

If I had a total budget of $4000 and had no other equipment, I would probably try to spend around $3000 on some high quality prime lenses and $1000 on the camera. IMO lenses are more important and will have a greater impact on the final result than the camera (as long as the cam is somewhat decent) for the most part.

I say this as a photographer who only dabbles in video, but I think this may actually be more true for video/cinematography.

Don't forget the thousands you will need to spend on other stuff too like rigs, audio/mics, monitor, lights, dolly, jib, etc. but I'm sure you've already thought of that and have a separate budget for that stuff ;)

Malex

I have 3 decents lenses 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm and L lens 24-105mm, I agree lenses are important, but the lenses I want are too expensive so I plan on renting them.
I have a T2i and I just received my 5D3 (I actually thaugh I wasn't gonna get it!)

Maybe I should go ask this question in a video camera forum, since this forum is mainly Canon owners like me who love their DSLR + ML.