Intervalometer Ramping Module (adv_int.mo)

Started by dmilligan, September 21, 2013, 12:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

ETTR itself will actually delay the intervalometer a little bit if need be, to do it's thing (but it's pretty fast to run). See the intervalometer section of shoot_task in shoot.c. So you should already be covered.

J24

Quote from: dmilligan on October 30, 2013, 05:20:07 PM
Should be pretty easy to do, I'll look into it.
Great! Would be awesome! :)

Quote from: dmilligan on October 30, 2013, 05:20:07 PM
What kind of signal can it take? ML can send various types. Most flexible is probably PTP over USB. It's also possible send a signal on the mic in line by turning the audio amp on/off. Something like this should probably go in it's own module, --
It takes a shutter signal through a 3.5mm plug. Using the mic in sound like a good idea, since it would enable me to use an ordinary stereo audio cable. I might implement this as a separate module, as you suggested. Although, I might not need it, at least for now, if remote shutters gets implemented in your module.

taneryildirim

francesco mazzeo

How to install bulb/focus ramping on Canon 6d? I have only Intervallometer and Bulb Timer. Thank at all! Merry Christmas.

dmilligan

Quote from: francesco mazzeo on December 24, 2013, 01:16:52 PM
How to install bulb/focus ramping on Canon 6d? I have only Intervallometer and Bulb Timer. Thank at all! Merry Christmas.

Read the OP of this thread:

Quote from: dmilligan on September 21, 2013, 12:53:31 AM
To use, download the latest nightly and add this module to the ML/modules folder:
https://bitbucket.org/dmilligan/magic-lantern/downloads/adv_int.mo

See the readme for instructions on how to use:

francesco mazzeo

Thank you dmilligan.
I have already Advanced Intervalometer  (ADV) on Canon 6d. I 'm serarching for Bulb/Focus Ramping in shot tools;)
Best ADV or Bulb/focus ramping for timelaps without flickering?
Thank you again. Merry Christams to all :)

pilgrimage

Hi Dmilligan Pls say to me How Can I Use to adv with auto ettr + Post deflicker or just adv ? Which can ı use to parameter ?

thankyou.

dmilligan

Well, there would be several ways you could use the two together. AutoETTR can automatically set shutter (Tv) or ISO; adv_int can manually ramp many things. Typically what I do is to use adv_int to manually control aperture (Av), and let AETTR automatically control Tv and ISO.

Typically for a sunset, I would start with the Av pretty small (say f/16), then I would have it ramp up to wide open (f/2.8 or whatever wide open is for your lens). Use the 'global time' mode. I usually have the ramp start about 5 minutes after sunset, and end 20 minutes after sunset (so the Av is wide open by 20 mins after sunset), but you may have to play with this some depending on your camera, lens, and location/scene.

Use the AETTR with default settings, except change the slowest shutter to about 2-5 seconds less than timer interval. Typically I use 35 second interval and 30 second slowest shutter or maybe 30 second interval and 25 second slowest shutter.

If you do your deflickering in post rather than in camera, you don't have to worry about giving enough time between exposures for ML Post Deflicker to do it's thing (usually you need to give it ~5-10 seconds). I have a script for bridge that will let you deflicker in post.

If you wanted even more control you could ramp both Tv and Av manually with adv_int (this would be a lot harder to get right, and probably require some significant trial and error), and just let AETTR set the ISO. One thing you could potentially do with this though, is use a smaller interval period at first, and slow it down as it gets dark, allowing a slower shutter, basically you could keep your 'shutter angle' fixed. I haven't tried this, it would be pretty hard to get right.

I would recommend that you get fully familiar with using just AETTR for timelapse if you haven't already done so, before trying to use adv_int along with it.

pilgrimage

Thankyou Very Much My Friend.I Tried your information.

joebone

I have really enjoyed the FPS override to make time lapses.  I know its easy mode, but if theres any way to port this over to movie mode and FPS override then that would be awesome.  If it already does that then my bad for being a dummy?

also an exponential change between keyframes would be amazing.  Going from time flying by to standing still and back.

Anyways,  awesome module.  a thousand thanks. I continue to be amazed by all that you guys are pulling out of these cameras.

dmilligan

That sounds really difficult but potentially doable, not possible with this module though, and probably also beyond my skill level. You'd have to mess with all the engio timers on the fly, I'm not sure if I even fully understand how they work, or if that's even possible.

joebone

Quote from: dmilligan on February 06, 2014, 01:57:06 PM
That sounds really difficult but potentially doable, not possible with this module though, and probably also beyond my skill level. You'd have to mess with all the engio timers on the fly, I'm not sure if I even fully understand how they work, or if that's even possible.

k thanks for the quick feedback, awesome mod all the same, thanks

Freemountain

Do I get it right that autoramping is not yet available for the 6D? I read through the entire thread but answer weren't clear to me;)

dmilligan

I'm not really sure what you're talking about, I've never heard of "autoramping". Perhaps you are asking if AutoETTR is working on the 6D? I have no idea, and this thread isn't really the appropriate place to ask. Currently the 6D is considered "unsupported" as there is no developer with a 6D who is maintaining that port. There is a guy who is working on his own fork, but he doesn't contribute anything back to ML.

As far as this module is concerned, it should work fine on any camera supported by ML, there's nothing platform (camera) specific and only it uses very basic ML core functions.

marcos bcn

Modules menu : adv_ int said: old API.
And in red at the bottom said wrong version (v4.0, expected v5.o)
How to install it please.
Thank you

dmilligan

New version coming very soon, I'll update this thread with new instructions/screenshots/examples when it's ready.

carbo

Quote from: dmilligan on February 10, 2014, 12:06:12 AM
I'm not really sure what you're talking about, I've never heard of "autoramping". Perhaps you are asking if AutoETTR is working on the 6D? I have no idea, and this thread isn't really the appropriate place to ask. Currently the 6D is considered "unsupported" as there is no developer with a 6D who is maintaining that port. There is a guy who is working on his own fork, but he doesn't contribute anything back to ML.

As far as this module is concerned, it should work fine on any camera supported by ML, there's nothing platform (camera) specific and only it uses very basic ML core functions.

Hi there I think he may be referring to  Bulb/Focus Ramping as described in the manual here http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#bulb_focus_ramping .

It doesn't seem to be available on the 6D?

dmilligan

Bulb ramping was removed in favor of AutoETTR, it's not available on any camera ATM. Focus ramping may eventually be removed and replaced with this module once it gets merged (since the focus ramping capabilities in this module are more advanced)

dmilligan

PaulJBis

Hello. I've been trying out this module this afternoon, and I have some doubts that I couldn't find the answer for. Sorry if this was answered somewhere else and it escaped me:

1) I take it that you can't delete keyframes right now. Am I wrong?
2) When creating a keyframe, why can't you set the shutter to less than 1/24?
3) Speaking of which, what's the difference between the shutter setting and the bulb duration one? I created several keyframes varying aperture and bulb duration, but the latter didn't change.

I should mention that I'm not using AutoETTR yet, since I want to get a feel for this module on its own first.

dmilligan

1) Sort of, you can only delete all the keyframes, but not individual ones, maybe I'll add a way to do this.
2) I just copied the shutter stuff from the ML expo menu as a convenience to let you change the shutter w/o having to leave the menu, if you want to use a shutter longer than 1/24, set it from the Canon menu. A fix for this would require a change to ML core not this module (try setting the shutter from the ML expo menu, you'll notice the same behavior).
3) Shutter is when you're not Bulb mode (M, Av, Tv, etc), bulb timer is for when you're in Bulb mode (B). There should be menu warnings when you are in a different mode, are there not?

EDIT: just checked #3 and the warnings aren't right for bulb timer, I'll see if I can fix it

PaulJBis

Thanks for your answer. Another thing: I've noticed that, if you add keyframes in the "wrong" chronological order (adding first the last ones, etc.), they still get executed, but they don't get cleared from the list afterwards. Is that the correct behavior? Is there any limitation when it comes to the order in which keyframes have to be introduced?

dmilligan

I'm not really sure how that could happen, new keyframes are inserted into the list in order so there should be no difference in what order you create them in. Secondly, the data structure I'm using for the keyframes is a linked list. To 'clear' it all I do is create a new head (and deallocate any memory I was using). Worst case scenario is a small memory leak if I don't deallocate everything properly (basically I'm creating a totally new list when you hit clear there's no way for anything to stick around).

noealz

It was mentioned previously before but is there anyway to reinclude the holy grail auto ramp exposure? I understand that others find the new ettr easier but others like myself are quite fond of the LRTimelapse software which requires one stop increments

dmilligan

Quote from: noealz on March 19, 2014, 12:58:16 PM
quite fond of the LRTimelapse software which requires one stop increments
You should try my script for Bridge it's free and works great with AutoETTR (no sort of 1 stop requirements). You could also use darktable (also free and open source) if you don't have Bridge, the deflicker was recently ported to that program.

I don't think any developers are going to bring the old way back. (IMHO, ettr is superior, easier and less buggy anyway)