Canon 70D

Started by teo770, September 20, 2013, 03:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Quote from: TheUnkn0wn on December 07, 2013, 09:39:49 PM
My previous work was getting the 700D ML up to scratch with the rest, which I believe I achieved.

Almost there. In my opinion, there's a large difference from getting a port into a "seems to work" state and effectively maintaining it and fixing all those little quirks.

This is not to underestimate your work, but we have several ML ports that have not been maintained in the last few months, up to one year, so the code started to rot (I'm talking especially about 40D, 5Dc, 1100D, 6D, 7D, EOS M, and, to a lesser extent, 600D and 50D). In this situation, starting a new port doesn't seem the best thing to do right now in my opinion.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on December 10, 2013, 09:40:23 PM
Almost there. In my opinion, there's a large difference from getting a port into a "seems to work" state and effectively maintaining it and fixing all those little quirks.

+1 ... having tweaked some small 6d parts and ported my modules from the 60d, I was surprised how many annoying little issues pop out of nowhere, costing an unbelievable amount of time even when everything seems to be in a "nearly there" state.

In this situation, starting a new port doesn't seem the best thing to do right now in my opinion.

Imho the worst thing happening to ml would be to end up with a general code degeneration, and looking at what happens when alex takes a break doesn't look promising. A lot of "wip" ports would force even cautious people to use nightly builds, and they'll attribute the resulting problems to ml in general as a "hack" and being "dangerous".

Looking at how long the 6d takes with a fair amount of work from 1%, I also think that no 70d port is better than a wip one because it'll make it clear to potential buyers that if they want ml they currently have to go for 60d, 7d, 6d or 5d3... even if I of course would be happy to see a 70d ml for their owner's sake.

westie

Perhaps the older ports that are not being actively maintained should be archived (dumped) in favor of ports that are being maintained. Are people going out and buying older cameras (40D/50D, etc) to run ML? I would argue that adding the newer cameras is as important as maintaining older ports, if not more so. They are more powerful in resolution, noise, and likely processing power too - just to name a few areas.

In relation to convincing people to buy "60d, 7d, 6d or 5d3", the last 3 make sense, but are more expensive than the 70D - and two of them are full frame, which will put off people which a few EF-S lenses. The 60D is not likely to be available for long, if it is still being made, and the 7d mkI is due for replacement with it being expected in the first half of 2014.

Are there any statistics on how many people are using ML on which cameras? I doubt there is any reliable method of getting this, perhaps an option when downloading to indicate which cameras you plan to use it on? How does CHDK deal with the issue of maintaining the older cameras?

I personally own a 60D, which I use ML on, and a 70D. The 70D has fast become my favorite camera, albeit I don't have ML on it. Not everyone can justify keeping two cameras, one for ML and the other because it is better. I do have a technical background and understanding of what has been happening to get ML running, and think those out there are doing a fantastic job. I'd love to help out, but time is an issue for me, although I have looked at it a number of times.

I'd be willing to help upgrade TheUnkn0wn from a 700D to a 70D to get ML on it, knowing that it will take time to become stable. It would be interesting to know how much that is expected to cost. I've donated to this project in the past, and would be willing to do so again, but would like to know the money was going toward something that would be a benefit to me.

ilguercio

Just remember that a stable and decent port requires ONE developer with that camera in their hands so they can try whatever is needed to improve the port.
The first thing that needs to be done, in my opinion, is a general agreement between the developers so they all go in the same direction as far as development and objectives.
I am pretty happy with my 6D and its ML right now altough i would love to see it a bit more stable and improved.
Like many, i do not see the point in keeping some older branches active as i would rather buy a "new" camera rather than a very old one right now (50D, 500D, 550D, 40D, 5D) .
People can't expect older cameras to have all the gizmos and stuff that newer cameras have (Canon is fast in not supporting "old" products anymore) .
Again, it seems that ML was going well in one direction and the user base and developers were in a good relation whereas now my feeling is that somebody is quite pissed, some are too demanding, some are lazy and bla bla bla.
Without pointing fingers, i would love the whole project to revive once more and pleasing us for the years to come.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

a1ex

Quote from: ilguercio on December 11, 2013, 05:00:17 AM
I am pretty happy with my 6D and its ML right now

To be honest, I don't think anyone is using the 6D ML anymore (same for 50D/7D/EOSM). You are running Tragic Lantern.

Marsu42

Quote from: westie on December 11, 2013, 03:27:55 AM
In relation to convincing people to buy "60d, 7d, 6d or 5d3", the last 3 make sense, but are more expensive than the 70

... that's why I was speaking of the 60d, but of course *used* cameras as there seem to be many available for very good prices since people moved up to full frame or 70d ... and I still think 60d+ML+ better lens(es) is a good combination vs. 70d+no ML+kit lens as the sensor didn't change a lot.

Quote from: a1ex on December 11, 2013, 07:21:21 AM
To be honest, I don't think anyone is using the 6D ML anymore (same for 50D/7D/EOSM). You are running Tragic Lantern.

Does ML 6D even compile? Maybe 1% should rename "ML" in his fork to "TL", I'm sure he wouldn't object, it's really hard to spot the difference otherwise even if the devs might feel it's self-explanatory.

a1ex

It compiles, but since my last merge attempt there was zero feedback, so I have no idea how much of it works or not.

ilguercio

Well, you have to admit sometimes it is hard to find the correct version to test or the exact thread in which to find information.
Yes, i am using TL right now but that's because i am not using my 6D much and TL has a few more things on it than the rest.
I am not saying that you should announce every 6D nightly as if it was breaking news but i guess i understand why some people come on the forum and are confused about what to install and who's responsible for its maintenance.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

a1ex

Quote from: ilguercio on December 11, 2013, 11:06:19 AM
and TL has a few more things on it than the rest.

Most of them are things I've disabled because I've found them buggy. I can't fight this.

ilguercio

And i am pretty sure many users got the point but as many can't do anything about it either.
It is up to you all to find a "compromise" and try to work in the same direction.
That is what is missing, i am pretty sure you don't lack the user base, especially the professional one, to get things tested quite quickly.

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

TheUnkn0wn

This is not to underestimate your work, but we have several ML ports that have not been maintained in the last few months, up to one year, so the code started to rot (I'm talking especially about 40D, 5Dc, 1100D, 6D, 7D, EOS M, and, to a lesser extent, 600D and 50D). In this situation, starting a new port doesn't seem the best thing to do right now in my opinion.

I can see your point of view because if I was to upgrade my 700D -> 70D then I guess there would be nobody to maintain the 700D and then that would be added to the list of dormant ports. Although, most of those cameras are old and people have upgraded to newer cameras (like the 70D) and from what I can see nobody seems to be keeping ML up to date with these new releases. Which in my opinion is a bad thing to do, since ML will be loosing out on a growing audience.

The 70D just needs lifting off the ground then new adopters/developers will maintain it. That's basically my story, bought my first DSLR (700D). Found out about ML and noticed the 700D wasn't at all up to scratch. So I got to work on it and got it to a usable state where I could use it on my trip to NY a week later.

"If you're not growing, you're dying."

TomJ

Quote from: a1ex on December 11, 2013, 07:21:21 AM

"Tragic Lantern" Hah!! That's Canon FW....

parasense

Quote from: Indy on September 22, 2013, 01:35:30 PM
First a memory 'backup' of the 70D is needed and I do not know if it is available yet.

Indy

Hello Indy.

Embedded Linux developer here, I've got a clue about what obtaining a memory dump entails, but no first hand experience on this device.
(just got this camera, would like to make some changes, not even necessarily use ML... just enhance the existing firmware)

In your experience is there a j-tag header exposed some where on the camera controller board?
Or how, in as few words as you can spare, has this been achieved in the past?

Thanks in advance

dmilligan

Quote from: parasense on January 01, 2014, 06:46:32 AM
Embedded Linux developer here, I've got a clue about what obtaining a memory dump entails, but no first hand experience on this device.
(just got this camera, would like to make some changes, not even necessarily use ML... just enhance the existing firmware)

In your experience is there a j-tag header exposed some where on the camera controller board?
Or how, in as few words as you can spare, has this been achieved in the past?

Lots of good info on the wikia:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Developing_info

Basically: you get a dump with a specially crafted .fir file that dumps it to the card.

RafaLibrenz

Quote from: TheUnkn0wn on December 12, 2013, 01:45:13 AM
[...] and from what I can see nobody seems to be keeping ML up to date with these new releases. Which in my opinion is a bad thing to do, since ML will be loosing out on a growing audience.

Yes. It's my case. I no longer have a 650D. Just one 70D. And I'm no longer using Magic Lantern.
70D + 18-135 STM

TomJ

Quote from: RafaLibrenz on January 06, 2014, 09:00:01 PM
Yes. It's my case. I no longer have a 650D. Just one 70D. And I'm no longer using Magic Lantern.

Yep. Same here Amigo, same here. With this body and sensor, there is such GREAT potential for Magic Lantern too!

kazeone

This is more then likely going to be my next camera Body that I buy so I cant wait to see ML make its way to this camera. :)

satriani

Hey guys,
anyone here have AF issue with 70D? :-)
Cameras: Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 650D
Lenses: 2x CanonEF-S 18-135 IS STM, Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Art
Daily builds

TomJ

Quote from: satriani on January 18, 2014, 06:33:53 PM
Hey guys,
anyone here have AF issue with 70D? :-)

Not so far, but still pull manual most of the time. Tested with a glidecam on a mall one day and the AF rocks compared to the T4i...

Are you having an issue with it? If so, what?

satriani

No, I don't have 70D yet. But I see many owners complain about AF in the viewfinder. Not in LV mode!
Cameras: Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 650D
Lenses: 2x CanonEF-S 18-135 IS STM, Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Art
Daily builds

TomJ

Quote from: satriani on January 19, 2014, 12:02:34 PM
No, I don't have 70D yet. But I see many owners complain about AF in the viewfinder. Not in LV mode!

Oh, well, not sure I've ever even used AF for stills, actually? Wait, shot the CX Nationals this year (last weekend, actually) and used the 70D in AF for the action stuff. Yeah, sometimes it hunts if there's not enough light, but that's AF for you.

RedHerring

I think he is referring to the front or back focusing and general viewfinder autofocus failure that some Germans are seeing from this body. Word is that it only involves the center AF point and large apertures, but that makes no sense since the camera auto focuses at max aperture always. Not sure what's happening.

I am not seeing it on my 70D, but it's the American version.

I love my 70D it kicks ass in so many ways, but I kept my 700D for magic lantern.

TomJ

Quote from: RedHerring on January 20, 2014, 01:36:29 AM
I think he is referring to the front or back focusing and general viewfinder autofocus failure that some Germans are seeing from this body. Word is that it only involves the center AF point and large apertures, but that makes no sense since the camera auto focuses at max aperture always. Not sure what's happening.

I am not seeing it on my 70D, but it's the American version.

I love my 70D it kicks ass in so many ways, but I kept my 700D for magic lantern.

Ahhh..., got it. Had that (mostly back focusing issues with non-Canon lenses) with the 60D, T3i, T4i, etc., even 7D, but at least that had MFA. I tested accuracy (as I do with all body/lens combo's now) the day I got this body. No front or back with the Canon 70-200 or the Sigma 18-35. Spot on. 70D allegedly has MFA though I've never needed it.

Not sure why a German version would be different? Should be off the same line? Feel for the folks dealing with it though, went through a lot of that with the T3i bodies...

TomJ

The more I'm using the 70, the more I like, but damn..., got used to a few things that ML had for the T4i that are lacking here..

One is intervalometer function. Totally didn't think about that and went to do some time-lapse in the snow and cold... Duh. Haven't had an actual intervalometer for years now. Had it in ML for the T3, then T4i (alpha build, but even the pre-alpha I installed in the T4i worked perfect for me).

So..., damn..., do I miss ML now that I "upgraded" to the 70D...

Dark-Master

Quote from: TomJ on February 06, 2014, 06:13:27 AM
The more I'm using the 70, the more I like, but damn..., got used to a few things that ML had for the T4i that are lacking here..

One is intervalometer function. Totally didn't think about that and went to do some time-lapse in the snow and cold... Duh. Haven't had an actual intervalometer for years now. Had it in ML for the T3, then T4i (alpha build, but even the pre-alpha I installed in the T4i worked perfect for me).

So..., damn..., do I miss ML now that I "upgraded" to the 70D...

I'm not sure if there's one or not. But I saw a guy at my local camera store. He used 5D II with a Chinese battery grip from eBay that has intervalometer with LCD screen + buttons just for $30~40. I'm finding one for my 70D right now, as ML isn't available for this beauty, the 70D.

But I'm not so sure that it can hold up to such weather... I think it will do just fine for me in where I'm living.