Canon 70D

Started by teo770, September 20, 2013, 03:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teo770

I'm considering buying one but i wonder if it ll be complicated to port ML on the 70D ?
It uses Digic 5+, is in the 60D's lineup...

Just an early opinion ?

Thank u guys !
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

Indy

First a memory 'backup' of the 70D is needed and I do not know if it is available yet.

Indy

steveclix

I have a 70D - Can I assist with a memory backup? If so ... How?

Marsu42

Quote from: teo770 on September 20, 2013, 03:04:17 PM
I'm considering buying one but i wonder if it ll be complicated to port ML on the 70D ?

If you're not willing to use alpha-quality software, expect about 3/4 to 1 year for a stable ml port (unless a new 70d dev pops up shouldering the burden) - currently 5d3, then 6d are in the works... so if you buy a 70d for use with Magic Lantern, either wait or think again about ff :-)

realogic

I was thinking about this camera too for videomaking.

It's the first camera with Dual AF sensor (similar to Hybrid) that allow smooth continous focus on moving objects with every canon lens.

But yestarday, while I was already putting it on chart, I sadly discovered that it doesn't allow Tv or Av selection at all  :(

Hoping to get at least that feature unblocked by ML :)
5D3/6D/70D/GH4/NEX-EA50/GoPro3B+ on Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4 - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 - Sigma 35/1.4 A - Sigma 12-24 - Canon 24-105L - Lumix 14-42 - Sigma 70-200 f2.8 - Zenith 16mm - Metabones Speedbooster - Sony SELP18-200

realogic

I have to correct myself.
I got the camera today,
It support Manual exposures and aperture, but only M mode. It doesn't support Tv or Av priority modes.

Anyway, so fare we're already 2 here with the reflex. Let's start taking out a memory backup for this firmware.
May I ask where do I begin?

5D3/6D/70D/GH4/NEX-EA50/GoPro3B+ on Zeiss Planar T* 50/1.4 - Sigma 18-35 f1.8 - Sigma 35/1.4 A - Sigma 12-24 - Canon 24-105L - Lumix 14-42 - Sigma 70-200 f2.8 - Zenith 16mm - Metabones Speedbooster - Sony SELP18-200

TheUnkn0wn

If I had a 70D I'd be more than happy to help get it off the ground.

zman6900

I have a 70D and am willing to help out in anyway I am capable of. I've been a long time user of ML and would love to see it come to this camera. Any devs are welcome to contact me with instructions. My skill set it is user savvy. I have no experience with writing code but I have general knowledge of firmware read/writes, flashing/rooting phones, etc... Just trying to say that I can probably figure it out if there are clear instructions.

videewell

I just ordered a 70D and am anxious to check out its 7D-like performance and video autofocus capabilities.  I currently have a 5D Mark iii and a 60D and have been using ML for some time on both of these cameras.  If and when the developers are ready to tackle ML for the 70D, I hope they can provide audio monitoring through the A/V out port (like on the 60D).  Also, since the autofocus seems to be so fast on the 70D, another great feature would be the ability to slow down autofocus for shots where you'd want to have it look like a slow manual rack focus.

mcgillro

I only started using ML on my 600D a few months ago, and was gutted when I got my 70D that it isn't available yet.  So far I've only used it for bracketing for HDR, but just love it.  Guess I'll just have to make do with three exposures for now.

Thanks to all the developers - much appreciated for all the work on ML.

Dark-Master

I'm ready to chip-in. :)

vedia

Is anyone working on this already?  :'(

Dark-Master

I think the new image sensor will make it hard for normally functional RAW Video recording. Take EOS M as an example. :)

Maybe it's not... since they use the pixel diodes for phase detection.

globalphotobank

I also have had the 70D since it hit a select number of stores a few months now, here in NF Canada. The problem is ppl, these guys here at ML are busy, with the full frame cams and have a busy enough time with development and such that they cant keep up with updates and fimware for all the new models that pop up every 6-9 months. Patience is a virtue. I ran ML on a 60D never waited for it for my 7D and had sold it. I am on my fourth cameras in the last 3yrs. ML is GREAT! yes yet  there  will always be something better in ML but also in new development in new cameras coming out for eg. a new PANA G4, new Sony, new Olympus. Check out this link and browse through their forum
http://www.eoshd.com/comments/page/index.html

Dark-Master

Do we have to wait for the next firmware for memory backup?

I have a 70D in my hands right now. Please do tell if anything is needed. I, as an enthusiast, not a developer, will be more than pleased to help. :)

SJo1

I just got 70D too and keen to help if needed. Not a developer either, but if someone could point  me to right direction.
I will go through fw section to see what it might take...
Sami

TomJ

Have had one for testing for a bit, but can't let go of the T4i with ML until ML comes out for the 70D. T4i with ML is more of a camera than the 70D factory.

Marsu42

Quote from: SJo1 on November 05, 2013, 07:31:27 AMNot a developer either, but if someone could point  me to right direction.

That's your problem right there: This level of experience won't do any good, though you can hack ml a bit for a working camera like I do.

After the first fw update (or other memory backup), to add ML to a new camera you have to have in-depth knowledge of ML and reverse engineering for the first step, then for the second step of finding the Canon fw addresses a lot of ML experience and time on your hands to do this "legwork".

Seeing how busy the experienced people here are with 5d3, 6d, 7d, eosm, ... imho don't expect ML for the 70d anytime soon unless a new experienced dev appears out of thin air. You have been warned...

franknitty69

i just sent my t5i back after 2 weeks to get the 70d. it was a tough decision knowing that ml isn't available for the 70d, but i got a price that was too good to pass up on.

i have development experience. i'm fluent in .net, c++, objective c. i'm learning java (for android development) as well.

i've already downloaded the dev environment so i'm ready to get cracking on this 70d port as soon as we get some fw from canon.
Canon 70D (70D.111B)

Pelican

Quote from: franknitty69 on November 19, 2013, 04:51:25 AM
i just sent my t5i back after 2 weeks to get the 70d. it was a tough decision knowing that ml isn't available for the 70d, but i got a price that was too good to pass up on.

i have development experience. i'm fluent in .net, c++, objective c. i'm learning java (for android development) as well.

i've already downloaded the dev environment so i'm ready to get cracking on this 70d port as soon as we get some fw from canon.
Theoretically it's not necessary to wait until the first fw upgrade released by Canon.
I don't remember which camera was but there was a camera dumped without Canon fw upgrade.
The program searched the IO routines in the ROM then used them to dump the ROM.
Unfortunately I've never seen the source code of this...
...and I can not sign a fw upgrade file properly for 70D but you should ask Indy who is the master of these things.
Also there is another option to dump the ROM by LED blinking... (you have to find the LED address first, and it has the same signing problem)
With the ROM dump, you can start to port ML to 70D.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

kgill113

Well I can't wait for the fw update! I love this camera. The Dual Pixel AF has up the quality of my steadicam and crane shots. no need to buy an expensive follow focus system.

TomJ

Quote from: kgill113 on November 20, 2013, 01:41:38 AM
Well I can't wait for the fw update! I love this camera. The Dual Pixel AF has up the quality of my steadicam and crane shots. no need to buy an expensive follow focus system.

Same boat here, so much more cam than the T4i and 60D, but still feels crippled without ML...

RafaLibrenz

Quote from: TomJ on November 21, 2013, 08:39:24 PM
Same boat here, so much more cam than the T4i and 60D, but still feels crippled without ML...

Same here. My 70D has arrived today.

It's awesome. :D
But... no Magic Lantern. :(
70D + 18-135 STM

TheUnkn0wn

I'm wondering if I should sell my 700D and work on the 70D IF you guys could make up the difference between the 700D-70D price range. That's unless some kind soul donated one to me.

I currently don't have enough to buy one myself. But I am willing to work on it.

My previous work was getting the 700D ML up to scratch with the rest, which I believe I achieved.

RafaLibrenz

Quote from: TheUnkn0wn on December 07, 2013, 09:39:49 PM
I'm wondering if I should sell my 700D and work on the 70D IF you guys could make up the difference between the 700D-70D price range.

I liked the idea.

Anyone else?
70D + 18-135 STM