Canon 70D

Started by teo770, September 20, 2013, 03:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigorna

@JohnnyG
That's right. If it is something that is not limited by the hardware, maybe it can be enabled by ML...

granan13

Yeah enabling wifi during video would be great, even if its only with H264, really helpful for the ones using steadycam for example, it would allow to use the touchscreen functions without having to actually touch the camera and unbalance the whole thing.
70D -- 18-135 stm -- Sigma 18-35 F1,8 -- Super takumar 50mm F1,4

DigitalVeil

I don't see why they would disable something like that if there wasn't a hardware limitation.  But I guess it's worth looking into as it would be extremely helpful for situations like that.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

draco

Yeah I assumed wifi with video took too much power or processor speed or heat but maybe at 720p it would be fine. I guess I'll hope canon only wants it on higher end models and it's a simple tweak.

Was the 100ft wifi comment an exaggeration because even with clear sight my reception isn't close to that far. Maybe there is a way to setup a repeater or something.

TechnoPilot

Honestly, if you want WiFi with video, just buy a TP-Link MR3040 and install the DSLRController firmware onto it.  It is a far more power and faster WiFi device then what is in the camera and it is far easier to use! I'm sorry but what Canon implemented for WiFi in the camera and the cludgy interface they made to set it up is sadly disappointing, especially considering they had a touchscreen to work with.  I tried the 70D's WiFi function a couple times and compared it to the TP-Link, onboard WiFi could not even give me smooth consistant framerates in liveview when in hotspot mode, the TP-Link always does even in some pretty RF saturated environments.  The only time I found the camera would give decently smooth liveview over it's own WiFi was when I made it join my home's local network and then connected to it with DSLRController.  Plus with the TP-Link it is as easy as plugging it in and turning it on independent of the mode you are in.  For video work, it is always on my camera, mounted off the side of my hotshoe next to the mic.

Now if only ML and the guys from DSLRController could make them function together, then we would be seriously cooking! But we are getting into a relm outside the discussion of this thread.
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

ShootMeAlready

JG , there are some wireless usb solutions that are not android, but that assumes you have an app on your ipad that works via usb.
The DSLR Controller app is significantly better than EOS utility.  I have yet to read of any decent ipad app that competes (in price, function or value).

TP that's one sexy lady, it peaks my gear lust.  Did you polish it up? It looks too clean (there's no drool stains, paw prints, or claw marks). 

TP I though TP-link is just a router, so how/where do install an android app on it?  Is that the special wifi version of DSLR controller app? Dont you need a cpu & storage to run it?
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Canniballissimo

Tell me please, at what resolution 70d can shoot RAW-video for a long time? For example, 5 minutes. And can anyone make an approximate test quality at this resolution and FullHD on H264?

DigitalVeil

Quote from: Canniballissimo on January 14, 2015, 06:33:15 PM
Tell me please, at what resolution 70d can shoot RAW-video for a long time? For example, 5 minutes. And can anyone make an approximate test quality at this resolution and FullHD on H264?

16:9 no-stretching: 1280x720
16:9 1.4x stretch: 1536x864
2.39:1 no-stretching: 1536x642
2.39:1 1.4x stretch: unsure, will update

All of these are assuming 24fps and an SD card that never dips below 40MB/s, not even for a moment (many SD cards, despite being advertised to write way beyond 40MB/s, will experience random drops that could stop your recording or result in frame skipping).  By 1.4x stretch I mean recording a squashed image and stretching it vertically by 40% to get the listed resolution.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

Canniballissimo

DigitalVeil, it's amazing! I waiting for firmware release very much!

TechnoPilot

@ShootMeAlready - That is just what the glorious Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 Art looks like out of the box, I honestly can't say enough about how this is the perfect all around zoom lens for the 70D that is available right now for both photography and video.  I have compared what I can get out of it directly with shots taken by a friend of mine who is running a 5D mkII and dropped more then I paid for my body and this lens on the new Canon 24-70mm f2.8 USM II and the Sigma 18-35mm Art matches his setup for not only sharpness with actually the same preceived megapixels, but also for actual depth of field and low light performance, yet focuses better and has a less vignetting and even a little less chromatic aberration.  I was blown away at how well this not only matched up to his setup, but actually out performed it.  The only thing I could do with is a little more reach then 35mm so it actually equated to 70mm, since the 35mm only gives you an effective 56mm.  Honestly though I don't really care, I'm in gear lust of my own setup with this, here is another shot of it below for fun! :)

Now as for the TP-Link, it uses a specially configured flavor of the open source router firmware OpenWRT available here http://dslrcontroller.com/guide-wifi_mr3040.php . Just ensure you use the correct revision for the MR3040 that you purchase as they had two revisions if I recall correctly.

Anyways I wanted to answer your questions, but we should keep the discussion here to the ML port to the 70D.  Please feel free to message me privately if you or anyone else has any questions.
Cameras: Canon 70D - 70D.111B (Beta 2B)
Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II
Video Gear: Shure Lenshopper VP83F, Rode Filmmaker Kit, DSLR Controller w/ TPLink MR3040

nikfreak

Anyone experience in setting up Google Forms so we can publicly start with testing? I liked this:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KiXGOHynUkqyAo5D3bgWB4RWs_I9Im7zkJ4T041jjEQ/viewform?formkey=dFRxbGZlUHYyOHB6SDZWZFVpUlVRTUE6MA&pli=1#gid=0

I am unsure if Google will let us paste images in forms. Anyone know something better cause i have no experience with surveys and/or free available testing forms. I think it would be good to collect everything in a place...

I want you to be able to report bugs like this with pics (if possible) and in text seen in the first link above:
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3697.msg36515#msg36515
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3697.msg33471#msg33471

So anybody able to take some time and help to provide such solution? Me and some others will do last tests in private and once a testing form (at least a google form / spreadsheet) is available then we will go public alpha  :D

I
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

johnha

I found this article for creating a form with Dropbox forms and allowing uploading of files:

http://chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/create-forms-with-file-uploads-using-dropbox-forms/32009

anDyIII

As far as I know you can now upload photos into google forms. This could be a way.
Since I'm the admin of the Magic Lantern Italy user group of Facebook I could collect info and feedback (with photos and screenshots) in italian and then send all to you translated.
Let me know what you are planning to do.
P.s. I would be glad to try testing ML on 70D asap to start inform italian users about possible bugs and prepare an installation tutorial before the public alpha will be released.
5D Mark III
www.facebook.com/groups/magiclanternitalia/
www.andreacasanova.eu

nikfreak

I don't wanna make this too much offtopic so if you know some easy to use solution then just contribute by providing it. Let's do Google Forms and place links for pics in it if someone wants to show a buggy screen....
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

pierre2fun

Google forms looks OK
Cheers, Pierre
70D ML 111B

anDyIII

5D Mark III
www.facebook.com/groups/magiclanternitalia/
www.andreacasanova.eu

beloks

Hello dear team ML. I am from Russia and I do not have such a large range of optics, it is the lenses and Soviet (USSR) if you need help, happy to test the lenses of manual ML 70D.

But now the main thing, are interested in a more flexible change settings / server / application (!), Published in same instagram but not limited to a meager set of applications:

Andy600

Congratulations @nikfreak and much kudos to @a1ex!
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Audionut

nikfreak has ported ML to the 70D:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14309.0

Please continue off-topic banter in some other thread.