Canon 70D

Started by teo770, September 20, 2013, 03:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootMeAlready

AK you have raised a good point, one I have been wondering about.
Could one swap a 700D PCB for SD card into a 600D, and upgrade it to 40MB/s
But why stop there, why not try and swap a 50D or 7D PCB to get into a CF card? (assume one cuts into the body for the access?)

Then there is the 5DMarkII which in many physical size respects is similar to the 70D.
Could one swap its 80 MB/s PCB CF card ?
Even if the swapped in card in not fully maxed, would one get an improvement in raw video res., until max. limited by the bus or cpu?

I think if one were to buy a slew of these one could start determining do you need the whole card or can you just get a chip or just what?
We do know that Canon gimps models and reuses a lot architecture, so there is reason to expect some success in these swaps.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

DigitalVeil

Quote from: anthonykeane on January 05, 2015, 09:30:33 AM
Several cameras use the same PCB, is it possible that Canon have a standard SD Card PCB and maybe the higher Canon models just use an up-spected PCB?

anyone know of a link to the spare parts for the higher spec cameras?

Maybe a few models share the same part, but the majority of them have different parts, which likely means each camera has a unique SD PCB custom-built specifically for that model.  The only Canon camera that possesses an SD slot spec'd above 40MB/s is the 7D Mark II which probably has the 104MB/s part.

In a perfect world, you could just open up a 70D and a 7D2, move the 7D2's PCB to the 70D, maybe do a small FW hack, and it would work.  The chances that would actually work, let alone the chance that the 7D2's PCB would actually fit into a 70D, are pretty damn small.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

dmilligan

I believe it was a1ex that said it:
Good luck chasing the unicorn

gsanchez922

yeah :D new Canon 70D mk ll home made.... no body think is more than a port for SD slot and how much do you will spend and what happen if u broke the camera only to get videos raw?  for me is not a option

ShootMeAlready

I'm not into unicorn chasing, but by buying and inspecting/measuring/dissecting/identifying component elements/chips for a few fast SD PCBs one might be able to make more informed conclusions.

DV did say he liked to play with hardware ...
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

DigitalVeil

Browsing around the forum a bit yesterday, I found another thread in which writing data to USB storage instead of CF/SD storage was discussed.  A1ex commented on it and surprisingly didn't say it was impossible.  Judging from his tone of words it almost seemed like it would be that far-fetched of an idea, basically saying you could theoretically write data to both the USB device and SD card at the same time and merge the frames in post, just like combining the 5D3's CF and SD slots for 100+20MB/s.

I'll try to look into it myself, although my programming knowledge is limited and I'm still very new to ML as a whole.  If this was possible we could unlock greater RAW recording capabilities for pretty much all ML cameras.

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on January 05, 2015, 07:12:19 PM
I'm not into unicorn chasing, but by buying and inspecting/measuring/dissecting/identifying component elements/chips for a few fast SD PCBs one might be able to make more informed conclusions.

DV did say he liked to play with hardware ...

I do, but I'm not sure I'm in the financial position to risk breaking a $1K camera  :P and then I'd also need a $1.8K 7D2 to open up and tear down, unless someone can find the part sold by itself... And then what if the PCBs aren't the same physical form factor after all that?  What if the pins are different?  It's a looooong shot.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

ShootMeAlready

DV the journey of 1000miles, starts with the first step.  Here's an approach to consider.
1. What's the best upgrade chance?  Either 7DII, 50D, or 5DII. 
2. Get pics and measurements for all the three boards.  This is research by asking tech supports who sell the parts, for info. before you purchase.
3. Ask a tech support  for their opinion?  They probably have thought about this already, and may be able to point out any obvious pitfall.
4. Now if all is good, buy the one that fits into your 700D (for instance), the PCBs I found were not that expensive.  You may even want the tech support guy to do the install or write out the steps he would follow??? 
This is to minimize the risk, if you like H/w exploration you will eventually have to crack open a camera.
5. As for programming, that is probably not needed and if so that's what the ML team can handle.

Sorry Im too busy and have a shooting schedule for next few months. 
Besides I would want to upgrade a 600D, as that would be pure hacker glory to have it shoot FHD raw.  JM2C.

I think the time to explore the dual write s/w upgrade is after ML works reliably on the 70D.  Which I hope nightly drops soon occupy me. 

pierre2fun

I am wheeling to take full resolution silent pictures remotely via USB (in order to avoid wearing the shutter with lot of shots for stacking) ... this goal seems a lot easier than yours :)

Good luck
Cheers, Pierre
70D ML 111B

nikfreak

Ok I could need 1 tester for a "pre-alpha" build. best case: He / She has bought the 70D in 2014. You won't be able to remove the bootflag again. Just drop me a PM or take a look in IRC...

Update: Let's say I need 5 testers. If you already got some dev knowledge and have no problems with compiling ML then don't hesitate to PM me so we can run a few test days before making anything public.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Furbster

Quote from: nikfreak on January 06, 2015, 05:22:25 PM
Ok I could need 1 tester for a "pre-alpha" build. best case: He / She has bought the 70D in 2014. You won't be able to remove the bootflag again. Just drop me a PM or take a look in IRC...
Pm send

DigitalVeil

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on January 05, 2015, 09:22:32 PM
DV the journey of 1000miles, starts with the first step.  Here's an approach to consider.
1. What's the best upgrade chance?  Either 7DII, 50D, or 5DII. 
2. Get pics and measurements for all the three boards.  This is research by asking tech supports who sell the parts, for info. before you purchase.
3. Ask a tech support  for their opinion?  They probably have thought about this already, and may be able to point out any obvious pitfall.
4. Now if all is good, buy the one that fits into your 700D (for instance), the PCBs I found were not that expensive.  You may even want the tech support guy to do the install or write out the steps he would follow??? 
This is to minimize the risk, if you like H/w exploration you will eventually have to crack open a camera.
5. As for programming, that is probably not needed and if so that's what the ML team can handle.

Sorry Im too busy and have a shooting schedule for next few months. 
Besides I would want to upgrade a 600D, as that would be pure hacker glory to have it shoot FHD raw.  JM2C.

I think the time to explore the dual write s/w upgrade is after ML works reliably on the 70D.  Which I hope nightly drops soon occupy me. 

We'll see.  If I spend my time figuring out how to upgrade the SD slot and (only if it's possible) writing up a detailed tutorial, I'm only helping myself and a few other brave souls willing to perform surgery on a $1000 camera.  If I spend that same time trying to figure out how to write files from the camera out the USB port, and I'm successful, I'd help a whole lot more people.  I don't have much time for either one for at least the next month, and when I do have time, I'd sooner investigate the USB idea.

pierre2fun

pm send  - I  am a newbee for compiling ML but will test if needed
Cheers, Pierre
70D ML 111B

Torios

Dear friends! Owners of cameras from Russia too wait for development of insertions for Canon 70d! Don't give up this development. Many Thanks!!!!

lojzik

Quote from: nikfreak on January 06, 2015, 05:22:25 PM
... He / She has bought the 70D in 2014...
Why in 2014? Is there some difference between 70D from 2013, 2014, 2015?
70D.112

walter_schulz

Quote from: lojzik on January 07, 2015, 06:33:05 AMWhy in 2014? Is there some difference between 70D from 2013, 2014, 2015?

Yes, different 1.1.1 firmware revisions.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8419.msg136521#msg136521

DeafEyeJedi

Great work @nikfreak -- PM me if need a beta tester on the 70D otherwise I'll be happy waiting until its release.

and yes there are different ICU's in each 70D regardless of which year it was made. Mine was from early 2014 I believe (or late 2013 but will double check) which didn't work during the small "Hello World" testing several days ago.

The newest ICU release date is about 25th September 2013.

But there's also one from July 2013 installed on some cameras.

Patience is virtue!

;)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

lpfan

joslak

I'm available for testing if you still need testers.

AntoineLavenant

Been following silently this forum for a while now.
Thanks a lot for your work nikfreak ! I'm sending you a pm if you still need testers.  :)

lpfan

Hi.
i've just tried to firm my camera.
Looks like it is success  :) and firmware has been successfully installed. But i can't open ml menu via 'menu'  button.
There is only one this screen with any ML info.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/152dbl0ko2kjvol/2015-01-07%2017.27.47.jpg?dl=0

X-STATE

you have to press the trash button  8)
Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112

lpfan

Ok. It works for me  :) 8)

Toni_m_m

So what does boot flag mean? does it mean i can't anymore use 70D without magic lantern or what?

walter_schulz

What.
A cam with bootflag set will look for a bootable card.
If a bootable card is found the cam will load Magic Lantern. If the files are there.
Formatting a card using a cardreader and PC/Mac will produce non-bootable cards.
If no bootable card is found the cam will just start. With a slight delay. And this delay will happen leaving powersafe, too. We're talking about 1-2 seconds here.

Toni_m_m