Canon 70D

Started by teo770, September 20, 2013, 03:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyG_71

X-STATE does have a valid point...  Maybe nanomad could send the 70D to nikfreak that the community funded for the port.  :)
Canon 70D (70D.111B). Canon: EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. Sigma: 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM, 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM A, 4.5mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye. Samyang 16mm f/2 ED AS UMC CS.

Toni_m_m

I would love to work on this after you get it to work on camera so can you please share you work. And how long you think it will take after you get 70d from someone?

Vy7ka

For christ sake, if you're fortunate enough to own a pretty decent dslr like 70D make use of it rather than pleading devs and that lone person, who doesn't have camera but still does something. These things, they take time. Give them that time. In the meantime - use your gear to the fullest, study it, use it. There are bottlenecks, yes, but can get around a lot of things. It's far easier to have a more friendly software than it is canon's, but (except for the backers of 70D) we're getting this awesome stuff for free. Learn to use your equipment, rather than asking for someone to make it more usable.
Canon 70d + 18-135mm STM f/3.5-5.6 Lens + Helios-44M-6 f/2 58mm

DigitalVeil

Quote from: Vy7ka on November 05, 2014, 10:20:14 PM
For christ sake, if you're fortunate enough to own a pretty decent dslr like 70D make use of it rather than pleading devs and that lone person, who doesn't have camera but still does something. These things, they take time. Give them that time. In the meantime - use your gear to the fullest, study it, use it. There are bottlenecks, yes, but can get around a lot of things. It's far easier to have a more friendly software than it is canon's, but (except for the backers of 70D) we're getting this awesome stuff for free. Learn to use your equipment, rather than asking for someone to make it more usable.

Whoa there cowboy.  Chill out.  I think people are just excited at the prospect of what ML could do for their 70D, and they know it's close to being finished.  If Nomad is tied up, and nikfreak is capable of finishing it... well then I see no reason to have a problem with that?  Nobody is angrily demanding this port, we're just excited by the possibilities of a 70D+ML, which is now within arm's reach but on a snag.  And obviously we are using our cameras to the fullest extent - you don't need to tell us to do that.  Nobody is going to buy a $1K camera and let it sit there uselessly until the ML port is finished.  But let's be real here - no matter how much you work to maximize your footage quality within the limits of the default Canon FW, the h264 compression at the standard ~10-12Mbps bit rate still looks yucky.  My 70D has become my secondary camera for my video shoots now because my 700D is the one with ML at the moment.  So obviously we're anxious to see ML on these devices.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

ShootMeAlready

I am probably getting ahead here, but I think the 70D will face a rather unique challenge compared to the standard ML build.
The touchscreen focus, is an integral feature for the 70D, and yet its not clear if that can be handled with ML.

My observation is that DSLR controller app (Android), basically does not work with MLV raw.  Why? because it hooks into the Canon firmware.
Canon's EOS utility does not work with MLV raw, probably because of the same reason.
So the 64$ question is will MLV raw support touchscreen AF??? And if so, are we doomed to a 3" touchscreen.  Its just that putting a 3X LCD hood + diopter will not work because you need to touch it! (foldable's are not practical for touch either).
If you use the HDMI port then you only have a monitor, but where's the touchscreen???

To really unleash the 70D AF, it seems we need MLV raw working on either a EOS utility (like) on a 15" laptop via usb or DSLR Controller app (like) on 7" tablet via usb.  ~ JM2C. 
Since the issue with the EOS utility is that its framerate is too slow, its unlikely that it will be improved unless Canon does an update of the software (meaning its not an interface issue).
However the DSLR controller, seems to be a better choice, perhaps a ML interface emulator can be run on the android, so that DSLR controller thinks its talking with canon firmware ???

The hybrid approach would be to use the 3" LCD for touch, and port the screen through HDMI to a monitor.  But this only works if the 3" LCD is not blanked while it outputs the HDMI.

There is always the clean HDMI out "ML solution" but that seems to be a rats nest, which we are encouraged to be discouraged about, which basically means not raw even if it happened.

CORRECTION:  It appears HDMI outputs, will never work, as the LCD will always be blank ...  It appears the clean HDMI outs is something ML cant make happen ...
So another approach that will work (somewhat) is to hack the LCD loupe, basically cut out the bottom bellow the 3X magnfier, so you can fit your finger in.  Then you will have 3X magnified screen, and be able to poke around.
This is a hack of a different kind.

Another approach, which may prove simpler (dont know if folks have hacked wifi controls ???) is hack the RC-6 wireless controller or the DLR remote (i.e. interface wrapper), so that when it triggers a still shot, in MLV RAW the video record turns on/off.  Either one if used with DLR Remote program means a 7" Android tablet can be used with touchscreen AF.  However since we have not seen MLV raw video stream over wifi, the question of data stream throughput / overload has to be looked at. 
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

vagabondvisions

ShootMeAlready

Vagabond

Ive looked into this quite a bit previous on this thread.  What folks and I observed was that in crop mode on a 70D, when there is no line skipping, there is more noise.
The increased noise provides for a softer picture.  So although the video you linked, recommends sharpening in post (which is good), its still a softer image which is less to work with.
With full frames, crop is better because they have less noise to start with because of the sensor design.   If they end up with aps-c quality noise, its still good !!! Also FF benefit in a wider FOV when cropped as they don't have the 1.6X.
I bought a 70D VAF, because I like to shoot video that includes streets, hydro wires, street car tracks, bricks, blinds, wooden fences, etc. that cause moire/aliasing.  I do think 3X on aps-c is good for moon shots or other high contrast/vivid colour shots with softer edges (sunsets/rise good).  However 3X on street/car lights or any sharp high contrast/vivid colour edges create CA (the dreaded purple fringe, fixable in post but a pain). 
I think its kind of the same issue with MFT as with aps-c crop, harsh/softer colour tone (hard to get great skin tones), low light poor, and weaker shallow DOF.       
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

nikfreak

I made my 70D repository available for public on bitbucket.
Remember: This is for QEMU and boots up in QEMU but the device tree (70D) should be fine to be used (copy & paste) with unified when you adjust the makefile. Sent a request for an installer fir weeks ago to a1ex but didn't get one.

I won't be held responsible for what you guys do with this. I doubt that some of you writing me PMs know what they do cause I got some strange questions but anyways I am just sharing what I did upon requests. I still recommend y'all to wait for nanomad but wish you luck with this if you still try it out. I cannot blindly do it. Btw in the meantime I had to sell my 6D so I am gone for now until Santa Claus puts a new cam under my tree.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

DigitalVeil

Quote from: nikfreak on November 12, 2014, 08:54:21 AM
I made my 70D repository available for public on bitbucket.
Remember: This is for QEMU and boots up in QEMU but the device tree (70D) should be fine to be used (copy & paste) with unified when you adjust the makefile. Sent a request for an installer fir weeks ago to a1ex but didn't get one.

I won't be held responsible for what you guys do with this. I doubt that some of you writing me PMs know what they do cause I got some strange questions but anyways I am just sharing what I did upon requests. I still recommend y'all to wait for nanomad but wish you luck with this if you still try it out. I cannot blindly do it. Btw in the meantime I had to sell my 6D so I am gone for now until Santa Claus puts a new cam under my tree.

Thanks for sharing it!  If someone makes an installation fir I might actually dare to try it.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

DeafEyeJedi

I'll give it a try with a 70D from work that I can use... Let me know when's a good time to do it!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

vagabondvisions

ShootMeAlready,

I film those types of things too and still haven't yet found a need for a $300 piece of glass which locks up my mirror and corrects for something no one who views my footage either notices or cares about.

vagabondvisions

If anyone produces a viable fir candidate, let me know.  I'll attempt install on my 70D baby.

hackyslash

I also have a 70D that I'm more than willing to test/run it on.  :)

Edu

I can also test stuff on my 70D if needed

TomJ

QuoteI film those types of things too and still haven't yet found a need for a $300 piece of glass which locks up my mirror and corrects for something no one who views my footage either notices or cares about.

Same sentiment here.

DigitalVeil

So many people ready and willing to test, hopefully we get a fir soon!  :D

DeafEyeJedi

Patience is virtue... ;)

Edu

Indeed it's a virtue... I'm about to sell my 70D to geta 5D2 (or maybe 50D)

DeafEyeJedi

Be sure to do your research well before making a final decision...

TomJ

QuoteIndeed it's a virtue... I'm about to sell my 70D to geta 5D2 (or maybe 50D)

Many of us here, who've owned the 70D since its debut and have run ML on previous bodies find ourselves being pretty damn virtuous and in your same position.

My advice would be for people NOT to buy the 70D in hopes of using ML on it. Will be obsoleted by the next thing out before ML is working. Just not enough dev's and too many FW's out there, so ML dev's have to pick a battle and go with what's chosen. Sadly, it's not the 70D.

Edu

That's a good advice Tom... I wish I considered that last year, but it's ok!

By the way, how do you think the 70D compares to the 5D2 in low light?

ShootMeAlready

A main advantage of the 70D is the touchscreen AF, with smooth continuous focus.  Yet for ML RAW shooting that's a problem, how do you set/check focus?
Using a HDMI out screen, means blanked LCD, and loss of touchscreen.
Using USB apps (laptop or Tablet/android), yes touchscreen AF is kept but the problem presently is no software supports MLV RAW.
You are left with shooting MLV raw off a 3" LCD, which means ML 5X-10X zoom is all you have.
The only solution I come back to get a bigger than 3" screen for focus set/check, is a hacked loupe, 3X magnification with cut out bottom so you can poke around with your finger.
The other MLV RAW limit on a 70D is the 720P res imposed by the SD controller speed.  For those who crave higher res RAW with great IQ, look to a camera with a fast CF controller (5D2 or 5D3 cinematic giants).

70D has great IQ, excellent quality for say indie film. I never bought this camera thinking ML support as the make or brake for it. 
Using EOS remote or DSLR controller app on a 7"+ touchscreen, Marvel pic styles, and decent grading it can produce great  footage right now, that's why to buy this camera. 
The 70D could be a RAW fast smooth continuous AF champ, that's were this tool wins big over the rest.

DigitalVeil

Quote from: TomJ on November 23, 2014, 07:32:22 PM
Many of us here, who've owned the 70D since its debut and have run ML on previous bodies find ourselves being pretty damn virtuous and in your same position.

My advice would be for people NOT to buy the 70D in hopes of using ML on it. Will be obsoleted by the next thing out before ML is working. Just not enough dev's and too many FW's out there, so ML dev's have to pick a battle and go with what's chosen. Sadly, it's not the 70D.

Tom, you could say that about ANY camera.  Not many people upgrade their camera every single time the next iteration comes out.  It's not like ML will be immediately available for the 80D or 800D either, and just because those cameras might not get a ML port until the next generation is around the corner doesn't mean they'll suddenly be obsolete when they get ML.  Most of us 70D owners probably bought one intending to keep it for a good long while, and since we do have a 70D ML port working in QEMU already, I think there's a good chance we will see it in practice while the 70D is still relevant.

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on November 25, 2014, 03:59:41 PM
The main advantage of the 70D is the touchscreen AF, with smooth continuous focus.  Yet for ML RAW shooting that's a problem, how do you set/check focus?
Using a HDMI out screen, means blanked LCD, and loss of touchscreen.
Using USB apps (laptop or Tablet/android), yes touchscreen AF is kept but the problem presently is no software supports MLV RAW.
You are left with shooting MLV raw off a 3" LCD, which means ML 5X-10X zoom is all you have.

I'm not following what you are saying here.  Yeah you're stuck with the 3" LCD if you wanna keep touchscreen AF while shooting RAW, but besides a larger view, what else do you gain using an HDMI output screen?

ShootMeAlready

DigitalVeil

A larger touchscreen just means more fidelity in AF set and checking.  Do want to keep plugging in a monitor just to focus check your last shot? Plug-in then take it out to shoot your next raw clip.   A 3" LCD is fine for run & gun, but even then Ive seen some 7" tablets in the hotshoe which are even better for run & gun. 

nikfreak

For those following the advise to switch to another camera: send me a PM if you wanna wish to donate your 70D.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]