Canon 70D

Started by teo770, September 20, 2013, 03:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

And if you help with coding, it will come quicker ;)

My post was about how to run the code in the emulator, without risking your camera. So if you know (or you are willing to learn) some C and ARM assembler, it's fairly easy to get started.

Harry37

How can I get startet?

satriani

a1ex motivates others to become coders. I like this  :D
Just share the dumper, maybe any one have a lot of free time and motivation.
Cameras: Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 650D
Lenses: 2x CanonEF-S 18-135 IS STM, Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Art
Daily builds

polo2503

Quote from: a1ex on June 27, 2014, 08:11:37 AM

My post was about how to run the code in the emulator, without risking your camera. So if you know (or you are willing to learn) some C and ARM assembler, it's fairly easy to get started.

Hi, I have some java skills but I'd sure like to learn C and ARM stuff as well. I'd also do my best to make ML work on our 70D, how can we get started on this ?

GARoss

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on June 25, 2014, 06:53:06 PM
The 3X is not a digital manipulation. Its lossless and from my observations sharp. However all my zoom lens have softer contrast and colour at their farthest reach/zoom.  When you zoom, you also get less light on the sensor.  So unless you collect more light (some how?) when you zoom, it must be softer.  The 3X zoom pic. should be softer than one taken from a prime of the equivalent focal length.

I thought a bit more about this. The 3X zoom, really turns the APS-C sensor, into a 1/3 Aps-C sensor.  So even though its sharp, the light collected is on a smaller sensor portion.  Well we all know that smaller sensors have less intense colour/contrast and handle low light worse increasing noise.  So the 3X zoom, keeps the same number of pixels but now its over a smaller sensor.  So with less sensor it has to be softer.

I never said the 70d 3x was digital. I was referring to my camcorder "...Back in the early '90s a few camcorders featured a digital 16x9 mode..." not that the 70d was digital. My 1st impression of the overall results, however IMHO, do look soft, less contrast & weak color. I believe your "...1/3 Aps-C sensor..." assessment is correct. This would explain the "soft look", etc. I will experiment with 3x a bit more.
Canon EOS 70d w/kit lens Canon EF-S 18-135mm STM, Sigma 18-35mm, Tamron SP 150-600mm, Tamron 16-300mm

Edu

Programmer here... I have experience in C/C++ and a lot of other programming languages, but I have never programmed anything for "hardware" (sorry I don't know how to express this idea in english). How do you think I may get started to be of help? I also have a 70D.

TomJ

Quote from: satriani on June 27, 2014, 03:40:05 PM
a1ex motivates others to become coders. I like this  :D
Just share the dumper, maybe any one have a lot of free time and motivation.

And it appears he's "hooked" another one..., I'll start slogging my way through as soon as I'm back to Colorado from painting houses and cleaning out dad's stuff for my stepmom...

Dark-Master

Quote from: a1ex on June 27, 2014, 08:11:37 AM

I'm running servers and I can compile some stuffs for kinds of service, but I have no idea about coding since I've been letting ones who can do the better job doing that for me. I only know some basics of getting things to work together. This would be a great start for me.

What do I need?

And I'm going to be on vacation for a week (plus photos if you want.(j/k)) :D

TomJ

Quote from: Dark-Master on June 29, 2014, 01:54:17 PM.....
And I'm going to be on vacation for a week (plus photos if you want.(j/k)) :D

H**l yes!! First and foremost, I assume we're all photogs, so who doesn't want to see vacation pics out of the 70D??? Should be mandatory when people here go on vacation. And not just the standard stuff either, these bodies are capable of brilliance. We can at least live up to that, right?  8)

ShootMeAlready

Quote from: GARoss on June 27, 2014, 11:50:57 PM
I believe your "...1/3 Aps-C sensor..." assessment is correct. This would explain the "soft look", etc. I will experiment with 3x a bit more.
The more I think about this question, the more I think I get what's going on.  I think in normal mode, the processor is basically skipping or selectively using lines. Why you ask does it skip any lines? I think with the higher receptor density on the sensor, in order to minimize noise effects the processor skips lines (hence the true source of moire /aliasing is this skipping).
This explains why smaller sensor portion handles low light worse (its not just a crop of same lines, its using adjacent lines with more noise).   More noise also explains weaker colour / contrasts. 
The processor in normal mode probably cant process all the lines as input anyways (hmmm ... always seemed RAW video limits is most hampered by the weak processor), so aliasing and moire may also be there due to processor limits as well.
Having skipped lines, probably also reduces noise on the luminance/colour receptors, so better contrast / colour.

That's the trade off, less moire / aliasing with a softer picture (more noise) or better contrast/colour (less noise) with aliasing /moire.  Neither is perfect solution, knowledge is power ... It seems a low moire / aliasing shot should be done with ISO 100.     Add whatever lighting / ND filtering to stay at ISO 100 to get the least noise and best picture.  That's my humble suggestion - Gaross try a 3X zoom clip at ISO 100 with proper exposure on a decent prime lens and see if it removes the aliasing /moire and the softness?     

BTW it seems if the camera processor was 3X more powerful, then regular mode should use every line, and then it should be the same as 3X zoom mode.  And to improve noise even more you need a 3X bigger sensor, so the adjacent lines are further apart.   
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

TomJ

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on June 30, 2014, 04:29:49 PM

BTW it seems if the camera processor was 3X more powerful, then regular mode should use every line, and then it should be the same as 3X zoom mode.  And to improve noise even more you need a 3X bigger sensor, so the adjacent lines are further apart.

That would be a different (and MUCH more expensive) camera, unfortunately. Wish we could hack the hardware like a lappy or desktop....

GARoss

3x does what it says it does... but at the expense of video quality. I did a few test over the weekend & got a lot of moire while recording video of a nearby home's vinyl siding in standard 24P & 30P. I had the zoom set to approx 50 - 60mm for the standard test, then set it @ 18mm @ 3x. The frames matched fairly close. True, moire was reduced but at the expense of video quality. I prefer moire over poor PQ. It's an interesting feature but not one I'd likely use.  :o
Canon EOS 70d w/kit lens Canon EF-S 18-135mm STM, Sigma 18-35mm, Tamron SP 150-600mm, Tamron 16-300mm

ShootMeAlready

I did some of my own 3X tests.  I first shot 50mm f2.8, in low light, and found great colour, no CA, but aliasing and moire observed on some clips.
I went out another night, used my Canon 85mm f1.8, ISO 100-400.  I tried the 3X zoom, shooting taxis & streetcars in low light. 
I found the CA purple fringing was horrible on the car and taxi headlights for 3X. The 3X amplifys the CA!  Apparently this is pretty common, even wikipedia states CA occurs with lens wide open in high contrast.  I have shot a lot of neon lights at night using f2.8 on my Tokina, so I know the fix.  Again it comes down to knowing your gear, and how to tweak it to get the best shot.
1. Aliasing / moire use 3X zoom, at ISO 100.  Bump the contrast & saturation & vibrance up in post. I always shoot video with lowest contrast and slight desaturation then add back in post.  However There is no easy post production fix for aliasing /moire once its in the footage.
2. High contrast avoid CA by using f2.8 or higher.  Bump up the exposure +1 or so in post.  Post production After effects "Change to Colour" removes it.
JM2C

T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

GARoss

Apparently, 3x is for special needs. As your tests indicate, much preparation is needed in order to get a clean shot. It's results are very conditional - some good, some bad. I guess if you practice enough you can adjust quickly & obtain good footage; especially where moire conditions will be high.

maitimaus

Another Question about video shooting with the 70D: What picture style are you using? Or don't you use picture styles?

ShootMeAlready

Quote from: maitimaus on July 03, 2014, 02:28:27 PM
Another Question about video shooting with the 70D: What picture style are you using? Or don't you use picture styles?
Big topic you ask (ok Ill stop the Yoda speak).  My HDDSLR guru says to use a custom picture.  Contrast = 0. Slight desaturation (-2 or so).  Sharpness = 0.
This is for MOV shooting which is ETTL (expose to the left).  MOV is like jpeg in that, once you have a blown highlight detail is gone and can not be recovered in post.
This is true for any colour histogram.  So you want a margin of error, hence expose to left of zero.  Add contrast and colour/saturation with the software (not the camera).
Heres a link to my guru:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPIOPc71REY
If you subscribe to the channel and watch all the video, you too can talk with a cool German accent and be a fount of wisdom. I think of him as my DSLR video mechanic.

If we ever get 70D with ML, then this is thrown out the window, because shooting movie in RAW means ETTR (expose to the right).  One would probably adjust the pic style to flat/neutral then shoot ETTR (1/3 stop or so) to max. the captured colour/contrast bandwidth.  This means more detail to work with.
JM2C     

Dark-Master

Quote from: TomJ on June 30, 2014, 03:05:36 AM
H**l yes!! First and foremost, I assume we're all photogs, so who doesn't want to see vacation pics out of the 70D??? Should be mandatory when people here go on vacation. And not just the standard stuff either, these bodies are capable of brilliance. We can at least live up to that, right?  8)

Sadly, it's too heavy. My 70D is like car's equipment now. It stays within a car and doesn't go anywhere(well, it did once in this vacation, and it went back to the bag within 10 minutes due to its weight/my effort). So I decided and took shots with the S5 since the quality is quite OK for life logging and it goes underwater. I only use DSLR when needed...lately...

S5
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/1270273_836353879737509_4951482778557923323_o.jpg

And yes, the 70D body itself is great. I barely have use manual focus in video. It's worth an upgrade from my previous 60D.

Excuse my shooting and editing. I have no idea about color correcting. haha (The video is in Thai)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu6s9dkDWPQ

This camera is already something without ML. With ML, it would be something greater. Many ML features in 60D and EOS M had helped me in many situations. I just wish EOS M II had the same sensor as 70D's or at least the same liveview auto-focus capability. So I can always bring one plus 22mm f/2 with myself for any vacation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9p82zgqb7ridhbl/2013-10-25%2019.43.39.jpg

TKez

I have a 70d and I wan't ML on it real bad.

I know a little c++ but my only experience with ASM was on Amiga 500!
But I'll throw some hours in if it speeds the process.

Someone PM me and give me a task.

Can QEMU be run on a mac?
Me and windows parted years ago and I cringe at the thought of it :)

Dns

Quote from: TequilaKez on July 08, 2014, 02:46:01 AM
I have a 70d and I wan't ML on it real bad.

I know a little c++ but my only experience with ASM was on Amiga 500!
But I'll throw some hours in if it speeds the process.

Someone PM me and give me a task.

Can QEMU be run on a mac?
Me and windows parted years ago and I cringe at the thought of it :)

It would be nice and helpful for the developer. Send a PM to a1ex please, he can help you.
Canon 70D | Canon 100mm 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 Vc | Canon 50mm 1.8 and The Magic Lantern :)

ShootMeAlready

I was wondering about the max. write speed of the 70D.  I need some faster SDHC cards, as I am learning to shoot Dual ISO RAW on my T3i/600D. 
And as such I would like to ensure I get a write speed suitable for the 70D in raw Dual ISO.  As far as I can find the fastest SDHC is something like 95MB/s read and 90MB/s write.  I am wondering if there is any good campare point for the 70D to an existing ML Dual ISO running camera with Digic 5 processor and 7fps shooting?

Answers: Ok read earlier threads looks like 45MB/s write, which suggests 720p raw max. res. 
The SDXC is faster bus, perhaps runs faster than SDHC of same write speed.
6d is closest cpu and write speed comparison for 70D. Nice chart
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5
Now the faster cards would help with -
Dual ISO raw provides 14 ev, which may yield better results than 720p raw.
Slower FPS video, with Twixter interpolation in AE, allows highest raw resolutions at 24fps. But I am not clear how well Twixter interpolates missing frames when theres motion??? hmm. 

TomJ

Off Topic:

Anyone else having issues with the 70D dropping frames in vid??

X-STATE

developers, any news? you promised to keep us informed on the development of the port :)
Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112

TomJ

Quote from: X-STATE on July 18, 2014, 09:27:17 AM
developers, any news? you promised to keep us informed on the development of the port :)

Reminds me..., I said I'd join the fray and do what I can with dev when I got back. I'm back. Hope I can actually contribute something...

avertgrad

so it could be that we get some information about progresses in the next few days?  :D *wouldbesoooogreat*
thanks to all the developers who try to make ml fit to the 70D :)

regards avertgrad

X-STATE

Strange ignore the part of developers. Probably too busy porting ML. :))
Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112