Canon 70D

Started by teo770, September 20, 2013, 03:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edu

Hey, thanks for posting all this stuff... I have been a while searching and doing my own investigation with cameras. I have been using the 70D for almost half a year, took almost 10K pictures and maybe 40 or 50 hours of video.

Now I'm thinking if it may be or not a good idea to sell the 70D and get the 7D with a hi-speed memory and a VAF filter to film raw... I don't know if it would be a good desicion. What do you think I should consider to stay with the 70D?

Thanks !

TomJ

Quote from: Edu on August 21, 2014, 07:48:05 PM
... I don't know if it would be a good desicion. What do you think I should consider to stay with the 70D?

Thanks !

Depends on what your output is used for. We had a 7D and went to the T3i (cheap and had ML at the time), then T4i (for AF and ML capability + articulating screen for use where you do NOT want to put it up to your face).

If all you care about is RAW, then perhaps the 7D. But you'll take a LONG step back in AF capability for video. ML will be out soon for the 70D and you have ltd RAW output.

Felipe

I think the T4i 700D are more advanced cameras than 7D in fact , 5 years jounger + ML , The only reason I haven't buy the 70D is because ML is not available yet.
Today I'll only buy the 7D if Sports photography will be my target.
650D-700D

mocenigo

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on August 12, 2014, 08:03:38 PM
I have tested on the T3i/600D, in mov, raw, and dual iso raw.  It is not working on the 70D yet, but the SD controller write speeds are similar to the 650D, so one can expect 40-45 mb/s.

Oh, I was asking about stills, not video :-) But still quite interesting.

Roberto

ShootMeAlready

Quote from: Edu on August 21, 2014, 07:48:05 PM
Hey, thanks for posting all this stuff... I have been a while searching and doing my own investigation with cameras. I have been using the 70D for almost half a year, took almost 10K pictures and maybe 40 or 50 hours of video.

Now I'm thinking if it may be or not a good idea to sell the 70D and get the 7D with a hi-speed memory and a VAF filter to film raw... I don't know if it would be a good desicion. What do you think I should consider to stay with the 70D?

Thanks !
Its hard to know what is perfect for you as these decisions revolve around budget.  If you like DSLR and not BMCC ($3K)to shoot raw then the champ is the 5D MIII ($3.3k), it has the biggest sensor shoots raw that is motion picture quality, but its glass (3 f/2.8 zooms, and 4 primes) run around $8K.  Then the second question is do you want to pull focus? If that's your thing then a 70D is not a help.  The setup that some like is the 5DMIII to shoot raw, and the 70D for its continuous auto focus.  So for a raw shooter the 70D is a B cam, used for certain shots (ETTL and color graded to match).  I think there is no decent replacement in video for the 70D, unless you like to pull focus manaully. Now if the 5D is to rich for your blood, then the best aps-c glass raw resolution is the 7D (used about $750) it has some banding issues which limits your ISO (meaning very low light is more challenging, but some claim the post software can fix it?).  Now if that's too steep there is the 50D ($500 used) its a great picture but no audio so that its own issue.  As for VAF you will need that for all canon DSLRs except perhaps the 5DMIII, and the T3i/600d and the 70D (which have 3X zoom mode which removes aliasing).  So look at budget and focus pulling ability before you decide on the 70D.  As for 70D raw, well that may not be for a year (its not for sure).   
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

Edu

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on August 22, 2014, 04:06:40 PM
Its hard to know what is perfect for you as these decisions revolve around budget.  If you like DSLR and not BMCC ($3K)to shoot raw then the champ is the 5D MIII ($3.3k), it has the biggest sensor shoots raw that is motion picture quality, but its glass (3 f/2.8 zooms, and 4 primes) run around $8K.  Then the second question is do want to pull focus? If that's your thing then a 70D is not a help.  The setup that some like is the 5DMIII to shoot raw, and the 70D for its continuous auto focus.  So for a raw shooter the 70D is a B cam, used for certain shots (ETTTL and color graded to match).  So I think there is no decent replacement in video for the 70D, unless you like to pull focus manaully. Now if the 5D is to rich for your blood, then the best aps-c glass raw is the 7D (used about $750) it has some banding issues which limits your ISO (meaning very low light is more challenging, but some claim the post software can fix it?).  Now if that's too steep there is the 50D ($500 used) its a great picture but no audio so that its own issue.  As for VAF you will need that for all canon DSLRs except perhaps the 5DMIII, and the T3i/600d and the 70D (which have 3X zoom mode which removes aliasing).  So look at budget and focus pulling ability before you decide on the 70D.  As for 70D raw, well that may not be for a year (its not for sure).   

Thanks! I understand the point. I'm using manual focus lenses, ver old ones and I'm not really interested in automated focusing. With ML Raw the 7D can do better resolution videos than the 70D would with its around 40Mb/s... so, the last point would be the image qualty, noise and how both cameras work in low light situation, wich I think they do almost the same as I far as I have seen on youtube videos...

I'll must get a 7D from a friend or rent one and just check it out myself I think...

nikasio14

I have a 70D and would like to help you out :D

what can i do?
I have a 700D in Backup to work around and i have CPS on the go if smth. goes wrong.

Is any kind of a alpha build av yet?

yours niklas

sydneybreeze.com

Quote from: Sydneybreeze
Quote from: Nanomad
Quote from: nanomad on April 08, 2014, 09:17:48 AM

I offered to do it myself or at least to act as an escrow if someone else wants to do it. Si far no one has replied to my request to send me a PM if willing to contribute. I do restate my offer though.

I have just pm'd nanomad that I stand by my offer to contribute 1/3 of the cost of a 70D body. I invite you guys to join!

I understand there can be no guarantees, but that's life. If you want this to happen, sharing in a minor portion of the cost is the least you can do. Most of the resources will come from nanomad anyways, via his time and opportunity cost to take on this project.

Greetings to all of you. I helped kick off the donation and came through with a third of the cost.

You know that I know there were no guarantees as to the outcome of the port.

Some info now and then I would appreciate though.

Cheers
Philipp

TomJ

Philipp,

As a contributor who put his money where his mouth is and helped us all, first, thank you for what you did. It (hopefully) furthered the development of ML for the 70D immensely.

Second, that is reasonable to want to hear something about development, where things stand, what the road blocks are, etc.

ihabfahmy

I am also offering to contribute financially to the 70D port....

Is there a PayPal account we can make donations to?

outerheaven

I know it's a long shot.. but I just purchased the 70D but the one thing that I found annoying was that it can't record 1080p at 60fps yet surely this camera is more than powerful enough to support it right?

Could 1080p 60fps support be added in a future official firmware update or possibly added with ML?

Stedda

Quote from: outerheaven on September 03, 2014, 06:20:43 PM
I know it's a long shot.. but I just purchased the 70D but the one thing that I found annoying was that it can't record 1080p at 60fps yet surely this camera is more than powerful enough to support it right?

Could 1080p 60fps support be added in a future official firmware update or possibly added with ML?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/faq.html#q40
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

acoustika

Just ordered my first semi-pro cam ever.... The Canon EOS70d

The choice stood between the 70D or the Lumix GH4.. My main use for the camera is to record my band while playing gigs. I already have the tascam dr60 mobile recorder and awesome mics to go with it.

I would really have liked the 4k video on the Lumix, but after searching a bit and wavering between them it came down to difference in price, filesizes for the 4k and wanting to have a camera which also will take good stills (which I'm sure the Lumix also does) But the better AF, bigger sensor and lower price on the 70D made me go with that one....

Now, the one and only thing I really need (which goes for them both) is to go beyond the 30 min recording time (Because of the lame EU law) since I sometimes will set it up and start record and then I go on stage and play, and we play for like 50-60 minutes which mean I wont get the whole thing recording... Again, lame EU law...

so a ML with the recording time limit removed for the EOS 70D would be insanely much appreciated... :-)

Skjd

Anche io sto decidendo l'acquisto fra la Canon 70D e la Lumix GH4  :) ... e per questo che sto anche aspettando il Magic Lanter per la 70D...

gneuf

Yo!

This is little suicidal for an arm firmware person who already has 2 projects ongoing, but...today I had to buy a 60D for my other job to insure ML support, but I want WiFi support in smaller-sensor-ville...so, point me to the dev section to set up a dev environment...I'll pick up a 70D over the weekend.

I'd spend the evening researching this but I have an early call, and I need to cut to the chase.

Thanks all!  Now where did I put that old disassembler I wrote...

GARoss

Sljd wrote,
"Anche io sto decidendo l'acquisto fra la Canon 70D e la Lumix GH4  :) ... e per questo che sto anche aspettando il Magic Lanter per la 70D..."

Canon 70d has faster autofocus for video and is better all around for photo. But, considering all the video attributes of the GH4, I'd give it serious consideration over the 70d. The video quality comparisons I've seen of the GH4 make it more inline with Canon 5d Mk III. Add the fact that the GH4 can do 4k now & who knows if the 70d will ever be able to, may be the deciding factor. Good luck!

Canon 70D è dotata di autofocus più veloce per il video ed è meglio tutto intorno per la foto. Ma, considerando tutti gli attributi video della GH4, darei seria considerazione sulla 70D. I paragoni di qualità di video che ho visto del GH4 rendono più in linea con la Canon 5D Mk III. Aggiungete il fatto che il GH4 può fare 4k ora e chissà se la 70d sarà mai in grado di, può essere il fattore decisivo. Buona fortuna!
Canon EOS 70d w/kit lens Canon EF-S 18-135mm STM, Sigma 18-35mm, Tamron SP 150-600mm, Tamron 16-300mm

falkor

Quote from: gneuf on September 05, 2014, 04:49:42 AM
Yo!

This is little suicidal for an arm firmware person who already has 2 projects ongoing, but...today I had to buy a 60D for my other job to insure ML support, but I want WiFi support in smaller-sensor-ville...so, point me to the dev section to set up a dev environment...I'll pick up a 70D over the weekend.

I'd spend the evening researching this but I have an early call, and I need to cut to the chase.

Thanks all!  Now where did I put that old disassembler I wrote...

gneuf
from having the 60d and going to the 70d is awesome.
such a better camera all around.
I too try to offer support for ML (and specifically the 70d) but don't seem to be able to (easily) locate the page(s) or how to help out.

is there a (simple) place or location where there is a list of people to contact and work with towards helping ML (even if its the man pages)?

dmilligan

gneuf

Got it - thanks.  Off to prep a machine...

fever003

X-STATE

Body: Canon EOS 70D Lenses: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC HSM Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM
70D.112

satriani

Don't cry. Come better to Photokina  ;)
Small hint: Canon don't tolerate ML anymore and try to prevent things like this. But as you know there are no impossible tasks, you just need a little longer :P
Cameras: Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 650D
Lenses: 2x CanonEF-S 18-135 IS STM, Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Art
Daily builds

TomJ

Well, sad to see that this is holding up dev, but I have the same things going on in my life and it suddenly made me realize that the dev's also have lives, ups, downs, good, bad, not just sitting with a camera, cable and computer day after day, night after night.

Had a chance to buy a 7DII, but after seeing that they STILL haven't gotten around to an articulating screen (that I've found I can't live without these days), I'm sticking with the 70D. Maybe not be as tough, but it has what I need for the jobs I do. The 7DII, well, it doesn't. So to me, the "pro" camera is the one that gives me saleable output. The 70D does that, the 7DII would not (at least for a lot of the kind of shooting I do). So for me, the 70D IS the "pro" camera. Still.

ShootMeAlready

Have to agree life sometimes gets in the way ... life is what happens to you while you are busy making plans ... John Lennon.
The 7DII has some awesome features for birders & sports shooters.  For still shooters the 65 focus pts, and 10 pps is excellent. Aps-c with the 1.6X for birders and sports shooters helps. But if you want it to shoot video it comes up short.

According to an emmy award winning director of photography the number one thing is focus, and the 70D trounces all others as its the next best to having a Hollywood focus puller.
Well without the touch-screen, youve lost your focus puller (unless you are really handy with dials when shooting video).!!!  This does not replace my 70D period (it loses right there).  The 70D articulating screen, is very good when not using a tripod, overhead shooting, and angled in sunlight still permitting touch screen follow focus.  Putting a 3X hood on the 7D makes sense it will help manual focus and sunlight shoots but that setup is not as versatile as an articulating touch screen.
It seems the 7DII's use of AF is really about tracking for still shooting subjects before you click.

The same emmy award winner picked low light performance as number #2 importance.  The 7DII sensor has not been put through its paces but I would be very surprised if it rivaled the 5DMII/III which the same director picked as HDSLR standard low light performer.

For video the 7DII uncompressed HDMI 4:4:2 8 bit FHD from the usb port is rather sweet as you could stream live to a lap-top (for a studio/tripod setting that's nice - get 8 of these and you can live monitor/stream a hockey game).  Although everyone wants to monitor audio, I did not read about XLR input so its not going to be used for quality audio recording just monitoring.  The slo-mo 60P FHD is another video advantage.  Its certainly useful for video but it does not replace the 70D's fast continuous AF on moving subjects for video.

I keep reading up on the GH4, the camera of 2014 so far, but it seems from the blogs and clips, no one can get decent cinematic skin tones, its challenged in low light & in artistic bokeh, and I keep bitching about the harsh/washed out colour tones I see in all clips due to MFT sensor size.  However for run & gun documentary style its light weight and a interesting choice (if you can suck up its colours).  Its 4K video, 60 FHD fps, are all interesting and certainly useful when needed.   

Also why did Canon not solve with the 7D the aliasing/moire crap?  Canon really does not get it, they aught to be releasing 4K raw video shooters in aps-c with the 70D AF touch screen (JM2C) perhaps this will be the 80D, a dream for indie film. 

Here is the emmy award winning dir of photo link:  https://vimeo.com/101177346
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"