General question for those who shoot H264 and raw in the field

Started by Shield, September 19, 2013, 09:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shield

Trying to figure out the easiest way for me to do this - here's what I want:
1.  To be able to shoot raw to any of my CF cards (no problem) and record audio externally (no problem).
2.  In a split second shoot standard H264 movies with Canon's built-in audio but use Magic Lantern's focus peaking and zebras.

The problem is this - if I disable "FPS override" and "raw video" the audio still isn't working right on the newer ML builds that have raw video as an option.  I sound like a chipmunk when I speak during the video.

So what I'm thinking is this - load the 2.3 "Alpha" (NON-RAW) version of ML on a separate card if I want to shoot H264 video, have focus peaking/zebras from ML, and use the built-in audio recording from the camera. 

Does that sound reasonable?  Or is there something else I can disable in the newer ML builds that make on-board audio recording work?  I've unloaded all modules.

Sorry just trying to make life easier away from the computer...:)

Shawn

a1ex

Try turning off the beeps. Also try not to take the battery out while FPS override is on (normal shutdown is fine, but on abnormal shutdown ML can't restore the original setting).

No audio meters => enable sound from Canon menu.
Audio meters not moving => go to PLAY and back.

Shield

I appreciate it Alex.  Actually I'm just going to carry multiple cards.

I will set the camera up to shoot the best H264 (sharpness 0, contrast -2) on standard and use it with my external monitor, and save those settings to "C1" on the camera.  Will boot to alpha 1.3 ML.

C2 will be exact same settings but with 720p60 H264.

Raw will be booted from a different SD card, camera will be flipped to "M" mode and that way I don't have to try to remember each time if I have this or that working with raw.

Will try your suggestions though - just kind of brainstorming right now.

1%

On 5D3/6D beeps break audio I fixed it over here to not beep when recording. Dunno if I accounted for the sync beep, I think I did.

a1ex

The thing is... beeping in movie mode (standby) will still mute the next recording.