5dm3 RAW, which firmware 1.13 vs 1.21 are we supposed to use?

Started by mannfilm, September 19, 2013, 07:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannfilm

Searched. Some say de-install 1.21 and go to older 1.13. Others having no problem with 1.21. Install guides do not mention this issue at all. Can someone explain what is going on as of today, 09/18/13?

Midphase

Can you point to someone who is having no problem running ML on firmware 1.2.1?

mannfilm

here's one,

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7591.msg65613#msg65613

theres a whole bunch more, under different search criteria. In several places,  people are begging for links to find 1.1.3 so they can deinstall 1.21,, and several have posted links to sites were you can get 1.1.3. I'd guess everyone who has posted a download link for 1.1.3 has also had problems with 1.21. Note, I've only seen people talking about this for 5dm3, and no other cameras. Also, I'm running 1.21 with no problems, but have only been playing around with RAW - I have a real (paying) job coming up and am nervous.

Midphase

I am confused, the post you linked to shows someone having tons of problems with 1.2.1, can you point to someone who has NO problems running ML on 1.2.1?

FYI, ML does not run with firmware 1.2.1, it requires 1.1.3 and it uses a special variant of that firmware which has to be installed to enable the bootflag.

Please take the time to read all of the step by step instructions to install ML raw, and familiarize yourself with all of the pros and cons of doing so.

If you're not willing to read the many pages of documentation, or unable to search for the relevant information...you might want to re-think your desire to use ML.

P.S.

I think using a hack which is not even in Alpha stage on a paying job is...how can I put this nicely...unwise.

mannfilm

Hey Midphase...

"you might want to re-think your desire to use ML...." I've been running ML since early 2011 on a variety of cameras, and shooting RAW since May.

My simple question was if 1.2.1 worked, maybe you should learn to read English.

"Please take the time to read all of the step by step instructions...." My question specifically said " Install guides do not mention this issue at all. "

The official sticky
"How to record: -- 30/24/25 fps RAW VIDEO ON 5D3 "
does NOT mention firmware.

The official sticky
"How to Record: -- 60/50 fps RAW Video for 5D3"
Does NOT mention firmware

The official sticky
"Current raw video capabilities - All ML cameras"
does NOT mention firmware

Okay buddy, how about you show me the official sticky statement that 1.2.1 does not work. Heh?

edited language //Audionut

hjfilmspeed

Um when you go to nightly builds download page it says under platform 5d3 113. I highly recommend that you not stray from this direction unless you are a ML developer.
Also I found this:

Updated build for 5D3 as of August 21st. Note this only supports 5D3 with 1.1.3 firmware.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7QlH_BH2m32Nm9hVHZpVlpCWU0&usp=sharing

Current as of last commit:  938047c
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/938047ccdfb0fd7ae1bcc6e8cdedba1d2b12cd5f

RenatoPhoto

@ mannfilm
No such language allowed in this forum.  Read the forum rules.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

hjfilmspeed

@Mannfilm @midphase

For the record I was not trying insult you or snark you in any way. I was just stating that its for the safety of your camera that you dont try to use 1.2.1 firmware. I apologize if i came off that way. The best thing we can do is just test the alpha builds to help ML arrive at a stable build. Lets all just relax and enjoy the RAW!

phil7

HI

does anybody have any idea when ML will work on the latest firmware 1.2.1? I want to use an external monitor on eos 5d  mkIII and the image is cropped on hdmi out. I also found that 1.2.1 firmware has some benefit on focusing over 1.1.3. Still I want to use ML meanwhile.

Midphase

I don't think anyone is working on it as of yet. I think it's pretty low on the priorities list right now so unless someone is working on it secretly and being very hush hush about it, I don't think you can expect ML to work with 1.2.1 any time soon.