Firmware update stuck at 17 (Not ML related)

Started by Pelican, September 19, 2013, 03:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelican

Hi,

I've just tried to update an 1DX firmware because it stopped focusing and I cannot fix it and it used 1.1.1 fw.
I started the 1.2.4 (the latest) fw upgrade but it stopped at 17% (it stays more than 30 minutes there).

Any idea what can I do?
Anyone experienced a stuck fw update?
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Pelican

Update:
The battery died during the night and the process bar didn't move from 17%.
With the new battery the camera started in the middle of the firmware update process, so I started again and now it went to 37% in a minute or two then stuck there.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3

Stedda

I had this happen on a 7D but after using a different battery everything worked fine...
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Pelican

Thanks.
I tried with another battery pack this morning (fully charged) and got just a little bit further.
The good thing is that the camera starts with the firmware update procedure (not bricked completely) so I can try many times.
Of course there is no 'Cancel' option only 'OK' but it reads the card and if a fw update file is there it reads and runs it.
I tried 3 different  brands and sizes of cards, and different fw versions but never went further than 37% (actually always go to 37% with this battery pack).

The original problem was that the camera suddenly stopped autofocusing.
Tried with different lenses none of them focusing and when a lens inserted the camera still shows 00 fstop for a few seconds and then goes to the previously setted fstop value (as normal)
Cleaned the contacts of the lens - camera connection but it didn't help either.

eoshq

Pelican, A little bit late but I may have a solution for you. Unregister all batteries from your 1DX, clear all settings and custom functions, detach the lens. Take the main battery out. Now, reboot the camera with no lens attached, a freshly charged Canon battery and run the firmware update.

There was a firmware update for the 40mm STM lens in the summer of 2012 that would get stuck at a certain point on the 5D Mark III. Believe it or not, this was caused by having batteries registered in the camera. What this had to do with a lens firmware I do not know, but this bug was confirmed and fixed by Canon in the 1.2.1 firmware for the 5D3. I would say that the 5D3 and 1DX share much of their firmware code, so that is why I suggest you try it without registered batteries. This is why I will never attempt another camera or lens firmware update with batteries registered, and why I believe it is safer to update camera firmware with no lens attached.

Pelican

Quote from: eoshq on November 02, 2013, 08:33:40 AM
Pelican, A little bit late but I may have a solution for you. Unregister all batteries from your 1DX, clear all settings and custom functions, detach the lens. Take the main battery out. Now, reboot the camera with no lens attached, a freshly charged Canon battery and run the firmware update.
Thank you but what you suggest is impossible. If I can boot the camera to do anything like unregister batteries then the problem is not exists at all.
And the battery was not registered and there was no lens attached.
Anyway, the camera went to the Canon service and they fixed it in two days.