Cagliari - 5D2 - Italy - RAW

Started by mjagielski, September 18, 2013, 09:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjagielski

Hello!

I just finished my new ML_RAW Video - Hope you like it!

Check the description for all technical info and a free LR5 preset!

Regards, MJ

Rewind

What is the reason for rising up the black point so high?

sleepinghouse

hey MJ,
I dig it, great colors.
QuoteCheck the description for all technical info and a free LR5 preset!
what is the LR5 preset all about?
5d mkii  ||  canon 50 f/1.4  ||  hexanon 40 f/1.8  ||  tokina 20-35 f/2.8  ||  zenitar 16 f/2.8  ||

mjagielski

Quote from: sleepinghouse on September 19, 2013, 08:57:32 AM
what is the LR5 preset all about?

Hi! Thanks!!! This preset is for Lightroom with the settings I made for the grading with it.

mjagielski

Quote from: Rewind on September 18, 2013, 10:01:24 PM
What is the reason for rising up the black point so high?
What do you mean with saying "so high"? Do not forget, that Vimeo is converting the video again after uploading a h264 file.

Rewind

Quote from: mjagielski on September 19, 2013, 05:38:02 PM
What do you mean with saying "so high"? Do not forget, that Vimeo is converting the video again after uploading a h264 file.
Basically, there is no black in your video. It is leveled up quite a lot. It is grey. So you wasting the dynamic range. What is the purpose of doing that?

This is how the movies looks like:

And this is how your sample looks like:

So what's the purpuse (artistic or technical) for such a flat grading?

mjagielski

BUT this picture of yours is with additional lighting. Mine it available light only. I did not want to have an only black moving object in the video. Plus like I said - Vimeo and h264 is NOT ProRes and/or the final image. But I totally get your point and will have a good look on this topic!!

In the description I wrote that I wanted to see how much I can lighten the black without having a huge quality loss - this is what I came up with.

Andy600

I like the grade a lot. I prefer a little lift in the blackpoint myself rather than crushing the blacks but it completely depends on the piece and personal preference. Oblivion, being Sci-fi and dramatic, benefits from a low blackpoint and higher contrast. It adds immediacy and puchiness but that might make Mathäus's video look a little 'too video' if you get what I mean. His grade has a slightly dreamy, retro quality.

Nice work Mathäus :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

deletedAcc.0021

I like it.  Great shots, good feel.  Artistic, not a punchy video feel.

Good job dude!

sleepinghouse

You're welcome.
I haven't ever used Lightroom before but I am new to post production techniques aside from premiere.
QuoteHi! Thanks!!! This preset is for Lightroom with the settings I made for the grading with it.
Thanks, I will check it out.
And for what it's worth, I like the grade as well, it makes it look like an early morning or sunset.
5d mkii  ||  canon 50 f/1.4  ||  hexanon 40 f/1.8  ||  tokina 20-35 f/2.8  ||  zenitar 16 f/2.8  ||

vnguyen972

I like the grading too... dreamy... fits the video! sometimes, low contrast look just works, purely artistic reason!
You got skill my friend!
Love my EOS7D!