Price drop on EOS-M left and right, should I get it now?

Started by elijahalcantara, September 18, 2013, 05:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elijahalcantara

eos-m got my attention after Canon finally fixed the slow focusing issue and now that dual-iso is available I think I see some users here posting something about eos-m + dual-iso, but I'm not sure how well or if it really works(?) , can anyone please confirm and maybe post some samples?

There should be a new eos-m upcoming in a few weeks maybe, canon rumors are already hinting about it plus discontinued statuses in online shops. But I wonder how much improvement is there added to it? the way Canon has been releasing bodies recently, I'm not expecting much ...

If I wait for the new one it'll be more expensive, plus I will have to wait for ml compatibility again and dual-iso may or may not work at all. If I buy now at least I know ML will work for it (for dual-iso maybe a grey area) and it'll be cheap ... what do you think?

Canon 5d mkiii, Canon 60d, 28mm 1.8, 40mm 2.8 stm, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85m 1.8 . My photography portfolio: http://elijahalcantara.com

Jordy Vandeput

I've always been using ML since the day it was born on my 5D2. Somethimes, for work, I have to use other DSLR's like the 5D3 without ML (because it's not my camera). Now, eventho the 5D3 is a better camera with more possibilities, I just don't like to work on it. I'd rather use my 600D with ML.

So keep that in mind. If you're used to using ML, then you will probably miss it pretty bad if you have a camera that won't run it yet.

For me, the user experience is more important then the hardware of a better camera that canon doesn't even fully use.

That is just my oppinion.
DSLR evangelist and Tuts+ instructor

maxotics

Micro four thirds went through a fad somewhat (much of it deserved), which took sales away from the EOS-M, which, though it has a larger sensor, has a limited lens selection.  Focusing is challenging for ALL mirrorless cameras.

I have 2 EOS-Ms.  I bought my last one for $350 with kit lens. 

PROS
SMALL!  Fits easily in any bag, even a jacket pocket with pancake.
Mic input!
True focus lock in video
With adapter works with all EF lenses.
Very nice H.264
RAW Video (killer to me!)  Like a BMPCC, though 720p, a quarter of the price (and does great photos!)
ML, already good, keeps improving on this camera!  1% is also very responsive to bugs, issues, etc.

CONS
Only 1.  If Canon discontinues line. 

I've had a lot of cameras.  These are the best deal I've ever seen.  There are no improvements to this camera I can think of that would make much of a difference to me (I'm talking about things that have been done on other cameras, no fantasy improvements).

Looked at your portfolio.  VERY NICE.  You can also use c-mount lenses.  Here's a couple of shots I took with my EOS-M and the $30 Fujian.  Naturally, camera was easy to take to restaurant and didn't freak anyone out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxotics/9754099553/in/set-72157635527242324

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxotics/9754022455/in/set-72157635527242324

Here is EOS-M with Canon 580 flash in Program mode

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxotics/10254781606/

A bunch of photos in that set using that camera (others Nikon D600 for natural light shots)

5D3shooter

I'm thinking about getting one too.  Still making my mind up

Malcolm Debono

I'm seriously considering getting the body and EF to M adapter. One seller on ebay is selling body only for around 240eur inc. shipping within Europe, so you can get both for around 330eur. Makes for a good backup camera considering you can mount all EF / EF-S lenses, and might even be great for timelapses.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

elijahalcantara

I didn't think my post got any replies, but I got the eos-M anyway :) thanks for the inputs :) ,

I would've gone to a fujifilm x100 but local warranties prevented me from getting it. I just couldn't pass up on the great local deals here so I got the 22mm + adapter bundle, and paid pretty much as close as buying a high-end point and shoot like the panasonic lx series.. the 22mm was fantastic :)

Hopefully Canon continues supporting the eosm, they've released a new lens for it recently so that's reassuring. What's odd is that I was expecting eosm2 to be announced sometime this year but nothing yet =/ It's not much of an issue I guess, I got a 3 year warranty so the camera should last with my ef lenses.

Been testing it with dual-iso and ettr lately, it's a bit tricky working with a touch screen but I guess I'll get used to it eventually. So far so good, I'm liking this a lot
Canon 5d mkiii, Canon 60d, 28mm 1.8, 40mm 2.8 stm, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85m 1.8 . My photography portfolio: http://elijahalcantara.com

maxotics

@elijahalcantara one wants to be careful not to push a camera onto someone.  Otherwise I would have said, "BUY THAT CAMERA!" :)  Now that you have, I believe you will go through the same wow experiences.  As for Canon, they haven't announced their new stuff yet.  It should happen in the next two weeks.

5D3shooter

Last saturday I was at a photography/telescope expo and Canon was there.  I asked the rep what he thought of the EOS-M and his response was, "I'd rather not comment on that camera."  They had most of their lineup on display, but no EOS-M.  Seems like it was a dud  :(  He was really pushing and recommending the G16, I could've got it for a great price at the expo but I passed.  I just ordered the 70-200 2.8 II which I've wanted for a long time, so the pocket cam purchase will have to wait for now.

BTW I also got to try out the Fuji X100S...THAT THING IS SWEEEET!!!!

SDX

Apparently I haven't been the only one with this thought. It is currently darn cheap.

I would like to have a camera that fits into my pocket every now and then. But mostly I would use it as a second camera when being out shooting timelapse or long exposures.
I often do startrails or alike, and waiting is a pain when not having a second camera to play around with.

Can anybody with a EOS-M say something about it's image performance in general? I don't trust DXoMark.

Malcolm Debono: Do you have a link to the mentioned bundle? It sounds rather interesting.

PS: also, it looks like we can look forward to a metabones speedbooster for the M?!

maxotics

Quote from: SDX on October 21, 2013, 04:54:30 PM
Can anybody with a EOS-M say something about it's image performance in general? I don't trust DXoMark.

My subjective feeling is sensors haven't really changed much in the past 5 years.  Most of the work is in in-camera processing.  If you shoot RAW, then I doubt there is much difference between any Canon (or Nikon or Sony) APS-C camera.  To me, the EOS-M is the littlest metal body they could build around the sensor.  If you own Canon lenses then this camera, to me, is a COMPLETE no-brainer.  With ML, the camera opens up to do just about anything.  I've owned a G5, G6, G10, G11, G13, 5D, 50D, T1i, etc. For Sony Nex 5-N, 7.  In Panasonic GF3, G5.  And this camera has a mic input! 

Anyway, to answer your question, I see no problem with this camera's image quality.  What other camera comes close in size to what this camera can do?  Even the SL1 is large to me (and is plastic). 

The only real risk to this camera, if you use Canon glass, is if you went to Nikon or Sony.

SDX

Thanks, for your inputs! I'll definitively keep an close eye on it.
As it look by now, canon won't push anything new onto the market for christmas, so lets see how the price develops. Can't imagine it go much lower though.

akumiszcza

Quote from: maxotics on October 21, 2013, 07:19:38 PM
I've owned a G5, G6, G10, G11, G13, 5D, 50D, T1i, etc. For Sony Nex 5-N, 7.  In Panasonic GF3, G5.

Are you some kind of camera beta-tester? Especially Canon G13 is intriguing.

a1ex

Quote from: SDX on October 21, 2013, 04:54:30 PM
I don't trust DXoMark.

I've found it pretty good for dynamic range (ML does some noise analysis on the fly, and the results are close).

Malcolm Debono

Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

SDX

Malcolm Debono: thx, the same deal also exists for other colors. And for 5€ more you can get a deal with two batteries instead of one (which should be a smart thing when the batteries are non-original).

a1ex: okay, the DR is one of the things one can't test unless one has perfect conditions and both cameras at its hands. But nothing replaces a constructive, personal opinion, IMHO.

EDIT: link http://www.ebay.de/itm/181137825979 (DE)

a1ex

Quote from: SDX on October 21, 2013, 10:10:46 PM
a1ex: okay, the DR is one of the things one can't test unless one has perfect conditions and both cameras at its hands.

All you have to do is to take a picture with some slightly overexposed areas and look at the raw histogram ;)

This is because any raw image includes an optical black area where you can measure the noise, and the full well capacity is obvious from overexposed areas. That's all you need for DR.

maxotics

Quote from: akumiszcza on October 21, 2013, 09:25:48 PM
Are you some kind of camera beta-tester? Especially Canon G13 is intriguing.

I like to embarrass myself at least once a day ;)  Which is unfortunate, because I better wait until tomorrow to post anything more.  There are SO many factors to image quality.  For example, heat adds noise to a sensor.  You could put the EOS-M in ice and that would probably reduce your noise--though I haven't tried it.  (I'm counting this post as one embarrassment).  I find that proper exposure is VERY difficult.  Whatever a score some sensor might get, a person who really knows his camera and can get perfect exposure will beat the other camera where that person hasn't learned the equipment.  You say this yourself, which I completely agree with! 

There is no mirror to add shake to the camera.  The mirror also creates slight light aberrations in the cavity.  All good things about the EOS-M.

I don't agree that Canon won't release stuff before Christmas.  We'll see.

5D3shooter

Quote from: maxotics on October 21, 2013, 10:25:22 PM
I don't agree that Canon won't release stuff before Christmas.  We'll see.

I agree with maxotics.  I'd wait and see if they release a viewfinder version.  This camera would be a homerun with a viewfinder IMO.

Chungdha

I am waiting till Metabones build a speedbooster for this, if there be a speedbooster then it be awesome as that changes the APSC on this to a full frame.

elijahalcantara

I am hoping for the speedbooster as well, maybe the guys at metabones are waiting for Canon's commitment to the eos-m before they build one

RedHerring

I am really interested in this camera, but is there a ML for the 2.0.2 firmware for this camera?

RedHerring

Aww man, now I gotta buy one.  :)

Thanks for the quick reply!