New Komputerbay 64gig 1050X

Started by Midphase, September 17, 2013, 09:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midphase

Anyone around here tested this puppy yet?

http://www.amazon.com/KOMPUTERBAY-Professional-COMPACT-FLASH-Extreme/dp/B00DQ8WOW0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1379402800&sr=8-3&keywords=komputerbay+1050x

Price is only $10 cheaper than the 128gig card, so I'm not sure it makes any sense to buy it....unless the write speed is substantially better than the 64gig one.

Anyone?

mannfilm

A couple days ago, I read here, somewhere, that the 1050X were benching out in the same range as the 1000X. Komputer Bay cards has always had a very wide range, greater then 5%, so who knows? Even if real, is a 5% increase worth such a premium?  I cannot think of any situation were 5% would matter.

Midphase

Well, that 5% would matter if it allows you to shoot at 1920X1080 at 24p or not.

Up until now the 1000X cards have been a bit of a gamble, with some of them performing quite well, and some not so much.

I am mostly wondering if the new 1050X all perform at least as well as the best 1000X, if that's the case then it seems like the price premium (about $50 more) might be worth the peace of mind.

sleepinghouse

5d mkii  ||  canon 50 f/1.4  ||  hexanon 40 f/1.8  ||  tokina 20-35 f/2.8  ||  zenitar 16 f/2.8  ||

Midphase

I think it comes down to supply and demand, my guess is that Komputerbay pays about the same price for a 64gig chip than they do for an 128gig one so the price difference is relatively minor.

I'm one of the lucky people (knock on wood) that got two very fast 64gig 1000X Komputerbay cards a few months ago. I really need more cards, but weirdly enough I prefer 64gig over 128 since it forces me to not rely too heavily on a single card should something go horribly wrong.

sleepinghouse

QuoteI think it comes down to supply and demand, my guess is that Komputerbay pays about the same price for a 64gig chip than they do for an 128gig one so the price difference is relatively minor.

Supply and demand, yeah I guess that makes sense. It is really lucky for us.
I didn't want to throw down that much at one time so I bought the 32gb 1000x 150mbps for $70. I won't be shooting raw HD for a while, and I already have a 600X 32gb so I wanted to have a designated stills, and designated video card for my mkii.

I understand having 2 64gb, I would hate to do everything on one card and have it fail.
I am going to wait until the price drops on the 1000X's to get a 64gb.
5d mkii  ||  canon 50 f/1.4  ||  hexanon 40 f/1.8  ||  tokina 20-35 f/2.8  ||  zenitar 16 f/2.8  ||

HugoFilipe

Has anyone tested this card?
Is it faster than the 64gb 1000x? I'm looking for ultimate performance at crop.

Looking forward for your replies!

edwmotion

Quote from: HugoFilipe on December 05, 2013, 01:49:45 AM
Is it faster than the 64gb 1000x? I'm looking for ultimate performance at crop.

Looking forward for your replies!

+1

togg

Quote from: HugoFilipe on December 05, 2013, 01:49:45 AM
Is it faster than the 64gb 1000x?
I'm interested in this as well!

tifose

I have this Card not sure how to run the test if anyone can tell me i wll post score

dolina

Does the 64GB 1050x cards do the following?

1) Consistently surpass 67MB/s write  on your EOS body & card reader transfers?
2) Consistently surpass 105MB/s read on your EOS body & card reader transfers?
3) Have you returned any Komputerbay card?
4) When receiving the returns did they break also?
5) Any chance it can surpass 90MB/s read/writes on your EOS body & card reader transfers? 90MB/s read/writes are what my Photofast 533x Plus cards can do.

I need to ask this as my order will land within the US and will be hand carried to the Philippines by a buddy.

Your feedback is most valuable as I have noticed that ML users have a significantly higher end requirement than I do so if it is up to standards for all ML users then it is more than useful to me. My primary use would be stills at the high-speed continuous drive mode of 6-12fps.

I will be using the card on a stock 7D, 5D2, 5D3, 1D4 and 1DX with a Lexar® Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader attached to Macs with 10.9.x and 10.8.x

====

Alternatively have you guys tried 64GB RiData 1000x CompactFlash cards?

Midphase

Quote from: dolina on January 14, 2014, 05:34:03 AM
Does the 64GB 1050x cards do the following?

1) Consistently surpass 67MB/s write  on your EOS body & card reader transfers?
2) Consistently surpass 105MB/s read on your EOS body & card reader transfers?
3) Have you returned any Komputerbay card?
4) When receiving the returns did they break also?
5) Any chance it can surpass 90MB/s read/writes on your EOS body & card reader transfers?

I will be using the card on a stock 7D, 5D2, 5D3, 1D4 and 1DX with a Lexar® Professional USB 3.0 Dual-Slot Reader attached to Macs with 10.9.x and 10.8.x

This is from using the KB 1000X 64Gb cards (which I now have 6 of):

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. No
5. Yes, I routinely record at 1920X1290 on my 5D3 which requires 99Mb/Sec and it just works.

I would also urge you NOT to use a Lexar reader, I heard KB cards have issues with that reader. Instead consider purchasing a Kingston reader which works 100% with KB.

dolina

Many thanks! I use Lexar USB 3 car reader. :(

Quote from: Midphase on January 14, 2014, 09:11:13 AM
This is from using the KB 1000X 64Gb cards (which I now have 6 of):

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. No
5. Yes, I routinely record at 1920X1290 on my 5D3 which requires 99Mb/Sec and it just works.

I would also urge you NOT to use a Lexar reader, I heard KB cards have issues with that reader. Instead consider purchasing a Kingston reader which works 100% with KB.

romainmenke

Quote from: Midphase on September 20, 2013, 09:13:31 AM
I think it comes down to supply and demand, my guess is that Komputerbay pays about the same price for a 64gig chip than they do for an 128gig one so the price difference is relatively minor.

I'm one of the lucky people (knock on wood) that got two very fast 64gig 1000X Komputerbay cards a few months ago. I really need more cards, but weirdly enough I prefer 64gig over 128 since it forces me to not rely too heavily on a single card should something go horribly wrong.

It is likely that the chips of the 1000x 64gb, 1000x 128gb and 1050x 64gb are exactely the same.
At the current nm proces there are many flaws on the chip and when they do quality control they check how much of the surface is usable.
Then they upload the right firmware deciding size and speed.
http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3554

Same thing happens with cpu's. There is no difference between an intel 2.0ghz and a 2.4ghz.
The 2.4 just met a higher quality standard and is therefore capable of handling the 2.4ghz load.

So the 1050x cards are probably just 1000x cards which have showed to run at 1050x during quality control.
Maybe the manufacturing proces improved and their yield of 1050x cards increased.
But because not every chip gets checked (only a sample of each batch) you might get a very good 1000x or a bad 1050x.

If it were up to me I would wait until a new generation of chips come out.
Unless if you have cash to burn now and need to be a bit more sure you get enough speed, but like I said there is no way to know.

Would be interesting to know if maybe the controller changed, but because it is only a 5% bumb it is more likely an improvement of the yield.
(you also see intel doing this, between refreshes they often release chips with a minor bumb of 0.1ghz, this is also because of improved yields)