EOS M Alpha shutter-bug discussion

Started by jerrykil, September 17, 2013, 07:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefano

The 11-22 looks almost identical to the 18-55.

Have a look HERE

You can keep it extended if you prefer, like I do, to have the camera always ready.

Stefano
Canon Eos-M,firmware. 2.0.2 lens ef-m 11-22  f:4-5,6 Windows 7 64

maxotics

I have the 18-55.  I think you mean zoomed out/in?  That would be interesting.

1%

QuoteDoes the bootflag running under firmware update do the exact same change/flag to SD cards as eoscard?

I says it does, but only on install.

How many with the shutter bug never used usb?

Stefano

Zooming in - out changes nothing in my experience. The 11-22 has a positional electric switch, in facts if you turn the camera on with the lens retracted, no focusing is possible, and a message appears telling that you must extend the lens  to take pics.

I low level formatted a sd card, then I checked the sd with eos card; no bootable and developers flags.
Then I installed TL.
When I checked it with eoscard, bootable and developers were flagged.

I've never used usb with TL installed, but the bug is present, always, if I turn on the camera with the lens "out".

Hope it helps
STefano

WiGgLr

Quote from: 1% on November 07, 2013, 05:20:06 PM
I says it does, but only on install.

How many with the shutter bug never used usb?

I haven't experienced the shutter bug, but have used USB to take photos off the camera. I have experienced issues with that though, where the camera doesn't go into storage mode, locks and needs to have a battery pull. Interestingly, rebooting my Windows computer and reattaching the USB cable gets rid of the lock up and then the USB storage mode correctly.

Malakai

I have been thinking about this bug. Why some have it and some dont. I am swayed to think its something to do with the SD card. Looking at the variables. The camera body is virtually the same between users, so we should see the same results across all EOS M bodies. The same applies for the lenses. However the version of TL we use can be different per user. However most of us test for the bug using the same version. Some folk having the bug and some not having the bug. The one big variable is the SD cards we are using. Ill put money on it that if we all did a poll most of us would be using different cards.

Now, in the light of the fact that I have had this bug from day one and no version of TL or ML has managed to stop it happening. I used a brand new 8gb sandisk card straight from the packet and blam. Bug is non existent. I would say that after all the testing the bug lies with something to do with the SD card. If you experience the bug with either the 18-55 or the 11-22 try a different SD card with the same build. See if the bug goes away.

on a side note i just spotted thi from here about the 11-22mm

QuoteWith its existing firmware the EOS M can't recognise when the lens is in its retracted position, and will allow the shutter to release. Canon recommends updating the firmware to the co-announced Version 2.0.0 for full compatibility, which as a bonus promises faster autofocus with all lenses.

I know it has nothing to do with the bug but its an interesting fact that they had to fix something related to shutter release.
Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

maxotics

I had that theory a while ago! ;)  My "speculation" is that you won't have the shutter bug if you

1. Use the 95MBS Sandisk card
2. DO NOT use USB
3. If you go into photo mode, remember to TURN OFF your 24FPS, or whatever, video mode setting.

I was hoping someone might have an answer the guy's question about time-lapse shooting in the main thread.  I haven't done it in a while, but I agree with him, would be an awesome camera to get back into it with!

1%

The ETTR + intervalometer might be broken globally. I tried it on 7D and it didn't work either. I noticed another problem with it too, if dual ISO is on it gets bright and dark over and over on EOSM.

Stefano

@Maxotics

"2. DO NOT use USB"

I've never used USB with TL installed.
(But I'm going to try..)

"3. If you go into photo mode, remember to TURN OFF your 24FPS, or whatever, video mode setting."

I've never used 24FPS, as we use PAL in Europe which is 25fps. The only thing I changed was fps ovverride to record time lapses, great function, but then I always set it to off; in my experience a "clean" setup, after a fresh install, doesn't stop the bug from occurring.

I tried three different memory cards, one sd and three micro sd with adapter. Bug showed up in the same way.
I've just finished testing  with another SD, never used before.
PC format of the card>Canon format> download and copy latest TL>On camera flag to make bootable>extended lens>turn on> BUG present.

What is really interesting imho, is the repeatability of the bug with the lens position of the 11-22 at startup.

Lens extended>turn on>bug ON (100%), retract> extend> bug OFF.
Lens retracted>turn on> extend> bug OFF.

Lens extended>remove SD>turn on>bug OFF(100%)

When I bought the M it had the old firmware, but the 11-22 worked perfectly, even if they updated the firmware also to increase the 11-22 compatibility. I didn't have any issue, apart from the slower AF.

Investigation continues.
Ciao to everybody
Stefano

maxotics

Hi Stefano, what speed is your best SD card?  Thanks!

Also, it's not about 24fps, specifically, it's about having the FPS override set to anything but 30fps in photo mode.

BTW, have you shot any raw video with that lens.  At 1280x720 crop mode it would be effective 44mm (approx) and should look really nice.  They don't sell that lens here in the U.S.  :-[

Stefano

My fastest card is a Class 10 branded Mustang.

Btw, Maxotics, I've just tried the M with the USB, basically I tried every function. Just like before.
If I turn the camera on with the lens out BUG present.

If I keep FPS override to OFF is ok, or am I to set it to a determined value?

Ciao from Italy

Stefano  :)

maxotics

You really want UHS 1, writing at least 40MBS (that's 40 megaBYTES), for RAW video at any rate. 

Yes, you just want FPS override OFF.  Otherwise the screen goes crazy in my experience.

It's confusing because many cards say 40mbs, which is BITS, and are really =40/8, or 5 MBS. 

None of this is to say you're not right about the lens!  Few have it unfortunately.

Stefano

The 11-22 it's not currently sold in the US, pity because it's razor sharp 

A class 10 is as fast as the type you're talking about, only the bus is different.

maxotics

Quote from: Stefano on November 08, 2013, 05:23:51 PM
It's not currently sold in the US, pity because it's razor sharp

What's REALLY nice about it, for RAW video, is it has image stabilization.  And in crop mode you risk very little moire or aliasing issues.

Stefano

Try this:

BUG present, turn dial to movie mode, start recording.
Now, without stopping recording, turn the dial to photo mode. Now you should be able to take pics.  :o
Stefano

1%

QuoteYes, you just want FPS override OFF

You'll only be able to do crop mode that way. If it screws up hit play and it should reset itself.

gary2013

Quote from: Malakai on November 08, 2013, 03:33:07 PM
I have been thinking about this bug. Why some have it and some dont. I am swayed to think its something to do with the SD card. Looking at the variables. The camera body is virtually the same between users, so we should see the same results across all EOS M bodies. The same applies for the lenses. However the version of TL we use can be different per user. However most of us test for the bug using the same version. Some folk having the bug and some not having the bug. The one big variable is the SD cards we are using. Ill put money on it that if we all did a poll most of us would be using different cards.
There are more variables. The people using it and the way they do things when installing ML and using the camera. Also, many variables as to what settings they have in "all" menus, Canon and ML. You never know when something else can have an effect. Like the USB problems I reported and 1% confirmed is somehow related.

Gary

gary2013

Quote from: Stefano on November 08, 2013, 05:23:51 PM
The 11-22 it's not currently sold in the US, pity because it's razor sharp 

A class 10 is as fast as the type you're talking about, only the bus is different.
In the USA, we do have some ability to buy it from retailers in Canada and some Asian people have it for sale on Ebay.

Gary

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on November 08, 2013, 05:19:18 PM
You really want UHS 1, writing at least 40MBS (that's 40 megaBYTES), for RAW video at any rate. 

Yes, you just want FPS override OFF.  Otherwise the screen goes crazy in my experience.

It's confusing because many cards say 40mbs, which is BITS, and are really =40/8, or 5 MBS. 

None of this is to say you're not right about the lens!  Few have it unfortunately.
I have not had any screen craziness using FPS override settings.

Gary

gary2013

Quote from: WiGgLr on November 08, 2013, 10:22:06 AM
I haven't experienced the shutter bug, but have used USB to take photos off the camera. I have experienced issues with that though, where the camera doesn't go into storage mode, locks and needs to have a battery pull. Interestingly, rebooting my Windows computer and reattaching the USB cable gets rid of the lock up and then the USB storage mode correctly.
When you use USB, do you pull the plug out of the camera and still use the camera? Even it you leave it plugged in, when you try to shut the camera off, does it then hang on the Sensor Cleaning display and never shut off until you pull the battery? That is what happens to me all the time.

Gary

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on November 07, 2013, 04:25:45 PM
The 22mm extends and retracts, though no shutter bug.  The 18-55 doesn't extend/retract (that I can see).  My question is, doesn't the camera automatically retract the lens when you turn it off.  How can you turn the camera on with it extended?
Max. how do you extend and retract the 22mm? It is a fixed lens. I think he means to say zoomed in and out.

Gary

maxotics

Quote from: gary2013 on November 08, 2013, 09:35:48 PM
Max. how do you extend and retract the 22mm? It is a fixed lens. I think he means to say zoomed in and out.

Gary

The 22mm actually extends out a few millimeters when you turn the camera on, and retracts when you turn it off.  I noticed this when I put on the .20 adapter (to get a lower focal length for crop mode).  If you look at the center part of the lens when you turn the camera on/off you'll see it too!  The 18-55mm does not do this.

1%

QuoteI have not had any screen craziness using FPS override settings.

It can misconfigure if it doesn't detect you've switched modes, when you press play it resets and checks what mode its in again.

WiGgLr

Quote from: gary2013 on November 08, 2013, 09:29:52 PM
When you use USB, do you pull the plug out of the camera and still use the camera? Even it you leave it plugged in, when you try to shut the camera off, does it then hang on the Sensor Cleaning display and never shut off until you pull the battery? That is what happens to me all the time.

Gary

Yup, exactly that. A proper reboot of my PC made the issue go away though, at least the last time I tried it. (using windows 8.1 command  "shutdown /r /t 0" to perform a full kernel restart rather than the hybrid hibernation reboot they added in win8)