EOS M Alpha shutter-bug discussion

Started by jerrykil, September 17, 2013, 07:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary2013

Quote from: Stefano on October 26, 2013, 10:12:36 AM
Hi everybody!
I'm still investigating on the shutterbug, to find a possible sequence of events ALWAYS triggering the problem.
I'd like just to add some more info here, maybe it's useful to somebody.

Shutterbug present, deleted ML folders, *.bin, *.fir. .....

Stefano
How did you remove the ML folders and files? You have toi do a Canon full system clean  and then you have to use the Canon menu Format. First you will see at that step it says to remove ML, tap the screen once. After the format, reboot and then the bug will be gone and you have no ML running. You can't remove the ML folders and files by using your computer delete function.

Gary

gary2013

Quote from: a1ex on October 26, 2013, 10:19:11 AM
This one is interesting; maybe the bug is caused by card activity from bootloader code? (it might corrupt some memory or registers and the main firmware doesn't undo this).
If you recall, I had sort of the same problem I reported here maybe a a month or more ago. I had that 128 GB Komputerbay card where I uses Eoscard.exe. Every time I cleared ML off the card and reformatted it, the bug was still on my camera. I eventually had to return the card to Amazon and I now I do not have the bug. I also asked a few times here and never got any answers about why I kept seeing a small partition on the card that would not allow me to delete that partition and format the whole card. Something made that partition when I used Eoscard and ML on it.

Gary

Stefano

"You can't remove the ML folders and files by using your computer delete function"

Even if I low level format the card from Windows?
Wow sticky!
Stefano
Canon Eos-M,firmware. 2.0.2 lens ef-m 11-22  f:4-5,6 Windows 7 64

gary2013

Quote from: Stefano on October 26, 2013, 05:18:22 PM
"You can't remove the ML folders and files by using your computer delete function"

Even if I low level format the card from Windows?
Wow sticky!
Stefano
just follow the steps I have outlined on here before. I learned from the advice of other people on here and I think it is also listed in the user guide on how to do things with ML.
I don't know what you mean by "wow sticky"

Stefano

Sorry for my English   :-[

I meant that ML, once installed, is sticky like a glue, you can't get rid of it easily.
Ciao
Stefano

EVVK

Quote from: Malakai on October 21, 2013, 11:51:51 AM
It only occurs when ML/TL is installed or running.

FALSE
I've was about to miss one of lifes most important moments at the hospital due the shutter bug. My card was totally overwriten with DD /RAW.  I thought I was ready to go with plain Canon firmware but no.. Shutter bug apperead! Luckily it was just to re-seat the lens but still missed few seconds of one important moment.

I did not have any ML files left on the memory card nor the special partitiontables . The memorycard was 100% clean and totally re-partitioned with new filesystem.

The only way I was able to get rid of shutter bug was to flash Canons firmware and do a reset of of all camera settings like I wrote here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8347.msg82215#msg82215

The question is is it enough to just disable the bootflag or to do a reset of the settings? If it's the bootflag or some other leftover from previous use of  ML.

jerrykil

EVVK,
the bootflag is on the camera itself and not stored on the card . Did you have the bootflag off at the time?

ps. there is also a couple flags on the card set by EOSCard or whatever utility u may use but those are wiped by low level format. you did a low level format so the only thing htat should have been left is the camera bootflag set up by the installer aka .fir file

EVVK

Yes, the bootflag was left Enabled on the camera when this occured.

And yes, we could it low-level format, (as the camera does). I'm not so used to that term cause when talking about low-level formating on harddrives that is on a totally other level which allows settings sector sizes and stuff, the true term in my ears is even lower. ;) This is just about erasing the whole memorycard, partitions and filesystems. (including the flags that for example EOSCard sets)

jerrykil

Quote from: Stefano on October 26, 2013, 10:12:36 AM
Unflagged "bootdisk" and "eos_develop" with EosCard 1.40
Turn on, no TL running, shutterbug present.
Remove lens, take photo, turn off, turn on, shutterbug!
Removed card.
Camera works perfectly without card.
If you look at a1ex's reply to that, it seems that bootloader being the culprit is the current hypothesis. in my opinion ur experience further confirms this. lets see what the devs think...

Malakai

I dont think its anything to do with EosCard.
I only used EosCard once on a 512mb SD card that I used to test TL on my EOS M on FW 1.0.6. After that it was all done in camera. I never used EosCard at all when fw 2.0.2 came out and still have the shutter bug. Even on brand new cards.
Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

gary2013

Malakai, I am just curious if you still have the shutter bug? I have not had it now for almost two weeks.

Malakai

Quote from: gary2013 on November 03, 2013, 10:19:06 PM
Malakai, I am just curious if you still have the shutter bug? I have not had it now for almost two weeks.

I havent tried a recent build but still have an older build with the bug. Ive been using the 22mm for a while so didnt need the 18-55mm but its still in my camera bag just in case. I will have a go with a new build in a bit, see how I get on.

Malakai

Ok, i have some great news. Just tried the nov 01 build on a brand new sandisk 8gb card and have no shutter bug with the 18-55mm. However! I still get the shutter bug with the 32gb card I have in my camera with this build.
The only difference between the cards. The 32gb card did have eoscard run on it ages ago to allow tl to run on the older fw.

How can I format and remove all flags etc from the 32gb card that had eoscard run on it? This way I can check if its eoscard thats causing the problem.

Whoop. Possibly a step closer!

gary2013

Malakai, I apologize if you know any of these things already.
Put the camera in Picture Manual mode. Then do a ML firmware flash (make sure you have the latest fir file on the card) and at the end with the green text screen at the bottom it says how to remove the bootflag. Just change the camera mode from Picture to Movie. That removes the boot flag. Then do a normal full (not quick) format in your computer to make sure everything is gone and new. Don't do an EOScard. Then back in the camera with the new card, do a Canon Clear Settings and then a Canon format. Then go back to the computer and add the latest ML files/folders. Then back to the camera and in the Picture Manual mode do a firmware install. Reboot and you should be back to everything now and not have the bug. If you do have the bug, then try my way of another Canon format and "leave ML files on the card". Reboot.

I still think eoscard caused some problems for me with my first 128gb card. Just a guess.

HTH,
Gary

Malakai

No luck Gary. Now Ive had a good play with a new SD and a used SD could it be something to do with the EOS_DEVELOP and BOOTDISK flags on the SD cards. I have no bug with a brand new card and the bug with an older card, even after formatting etc.

gary2013

my first card i used eoscard and i never could get rid of the bug and some partition that was created. I luckily returned it within 30 days at Amazon. I have no problem now with my new 32gb sandisk 45mb/s write. you might have to also not use the problem card unless someone comes up with a way to clean it and use it again. At least you're getting some good results now.  :)

Gary

jerrykil

Quote from: Malakai on November 04, 2013, 05:09:09 PM
Ok, i have some great news. Just tried the nov 01 build on a brand new sandisk 8gb card and have no shutter bug with the 18-55mm. However! I still get the shutter bug with the 32gb card I have in my camera with this build.
The only difference between the cards. The 32gb card did have eoscard run on it ages ago to allow tl to run on the older fw.

How can I format and remove all flags etc from the 32gb card that had eoscard run on it? This way I can check if its eoscard thats causing the problem.

Whoop. Possibly a step closer!
low level format gets rid of the flags, if you wanna check there is a 'dd' command. are you on linux?

Stefano

Hi everybody,

so, if the eoscard job really does something strange, apart from the developer and the bootable settings, is it still possible to run TL without even touching the eoscard utility?

If the answer is "yes", it seems to me that we can't keep the firmware flagged anymore on the camera, with the ability to swap memory cards with or without TL, because the camera will be looking for the autoexce.bin in both cases. (So, if it doesn't find it, the tight loop will be triggered)
Am I right, or I'm missing something?  :o

Thanks in advance
Stefano
Italy

WiGgLr

I think you can get away without EOSCard if you have a disk <= 32GB. However, people have seen the bug in that scenario, and I who have been using 64GB cards have never experienced the bug (I'm running and old version of ML still now though)

Stefano

I just formatted a 4Gb card, that had been flagged by Eoscard. I re-checked it with eos card: no flags.
I installed the latest TL, and flagged the camera firmware.

TL loads correctly but... No way to take a picture. The shutter bug is always present. Now I want to check it with a card that has never seen the eos card before.
Stefano

Stefano

After a further investigation, I was able to get rid of the shutterbug, only by removing the lens. After that I didn't have any shutter bug, but the camera with the nov. 5 release keeps hanging when I switch to movie mode.
Stefano

Malakai

@1%

Does the bootflag running under firmware update do the exact same change/flag to SD cards as eoscard?

It appears the shutter bug may have something to do with the SD card.

gary2013

Quote from: Stefano on November 06, 2013, 09:39:44 AM
Hi everybody,

so, if the eoscard job really does something strange, apart from the developer and the bootable settings, is it still possible to run TL without even touching the eoscard utility?

If the answer is "yes", it seems to me that we can't keep the firmware flagged anymore on the camera, with the ability to swap memory cards with or without TL, because the camera will be looking for the autoexce.bin in both cases. (So, if it doesn't find it, the tight loop will be triggered)
Am I right, or I'm missing something?  :o

Thanks in advance
Stefano
Italy
I have a new 32 gb card without using eoscard and i now do not have the bug. I used to have a 128gb card with eoscard used on it and i had a lot of problems with the bug. But, it could be from some other reason with having many variables.

Gary

Stefano

Hi guys,

I've found a reliable way to trigger the shutter bug. For me it's working 100% of the times.
I own the 11-22 wideangle.
This lens has a retracted and an extended position, this one is mandatory to take pictures.

If I turn the M on with the lens in the extended position, there's always the shutter bug; then I have three options to get rid of the problem :
1 retract and extend the lens, with the camera turned on.
2 force a sensor cleaning. (As I wrote in a previous post)
3 detach and reattach the lens. (Well known).

It doesn't sound strange to retract the lens, as it probably resets its power, but it's strange (to me) that everytime I turn on the camera  with the lens extended the bug is there, even if before the camera worked perfectly.
Stefano

maxotics

The 22mm extends and retracts, though no shutter bug.  The 18-55 doesn't extend/retract (that I can see).  My question is, doesn't the camera automatically retract the lens when you turn it off.  How can you turn the camera on with it extended?