EOS M Alpha shutter-bug discussion

Started by jerrykil, September 17, 2013, 07:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary2013

With no bug, I just tried plugging the USB cable in to register the picture styles to the camera I just mentioned. When that finished, I could not shut the camera off with it hanging on the Sensor Cleaning. I tried it with leaving the USB cable plugged in and then with it pulled out.  The only way was to pull the battery. I was surprised the bug was not there when I rebooted. All the the modules were gone with the warning displayed "Not shut down properly". I turn on Modules Debug, then reboot and then turn off the Modules Debug and reboot again and then all the modules will return but you need one more reboot to turn them all on. All the modules are loaded showing OK. Still no bug??  Usually that all makes the bug return for me, but not now. I don't know why, but that is what I just tried doing. I now have the picture styles loaded using the USB cable and EOS Utility.

Gary

Malakai

I tried your steps exactly three times, then variations on your steps. including low level format and using different cards. still no luck.
Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

gary2013

Update. I have just used the USB cable to transfer pic and mov files to my computer and I still do not have the bug. I do still have the Sensor Cleaning hang up with shutting the camera off and I pull the battery to get back to rebooting. I then  have to reload all the modules again like I explained here before and everything goes as usual. And I still do not have the bug after all of that. The only problem now for me is the USB hanging the shutdown and then having to reload the modules. Of course, I would not be surprised if the bug did return on my camera. Hopefully, not and hopefully it will all with be fixed for everyone.

Gary

Stefano

Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum, this is my first post.
Today I installed the ML in my brand new M with firm.2.0.2.
I thought I could have some little probability of "no shutter bug" due to the new lens I own, the 11-22 wide.
No way; after a bit of tampering with the menus, the bug showed up.
I quit testing, due to the temp warning: a red rectangle with 128 units (degrees?) .
Is it safe, or I run the risk of frying the cpu?
Thanks in advance  ;D
Stefano
Italy
Canon Eos-M,firmware. 2.0.2 lens ef-m 11-22  f:4-5,6 Windows 7 64

gary2013

Update=I managed to get the bug back today. I wanted to try and get my card back to exfat. the procedures I explained earlier to have no bug also made the card a Fat 32 from having to use the Canon camera format.

I copied ll the folders and files from the card to a temp folder on my computer. I reformatted the card on my computer to exfat and then copied all the folders and files back to the card that I just put in the that temp folder. I booted the camera and no ML, but the files were on the card. I had to do a new firmware update for ML and after the reboot the bug was back. Something in the EOSM_202.FIR file is maybe causing the bug??

Gary
Edit- I did my bug removal procedure. I outlined the steps earlier here in this thread. This procedure has worked many times now for me to get rid of the bug. The only problem I now have is that I cannot use the exfat format to record 8GB files, it will always reset back to Fat32 when I do the camera format to remove the bug.

gary2013

Quote from: Stefano on October 19, 2013, 04:24:53 PM
Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum, this is my first post.
Today I installed the ML in my brand new M with firm.2.0.2.
I thought I could have some little probability of "no shutter bug" due to the new lens I own, the 11-22 wide.
No way; after a bit of tampering with the menus, the bug showed up.
I quit testing, due to the temp warning: a red rectangle with 128 units (degrees?) .
Is it safe, or I run the risk of frying the cpu?
Thanks in advance  ;D
Stefano
Italy
Stefano, welcome to the forum. My camera is currently showing 85 degrees, but it does change often. Sometime it is 125 degrees. I also wondered if these temps are too high. It also says C for centigrade, but I have to think that is wrong and maybe needs to be looked at and fixed. I feel it should say F for Fahrenheit considering the high numbers. This thread is for the shutter bug. I should probably make a post in the main eos m thread about the temps.

Gary

jerrykil

This post is mainly for the new members coming in having to deal with the shutter bug. If you are booting ML and can't fire the shutter, the single best way to get around this, from my experience, is to simply run the firmware update again and disable the ML bootflag within the camera.
If you're unfamiliar with the process, then here are the steps you need to turn off the bootflag which boots ML

• set the mode dial to the middle AKA the Still Photo mode.
  • hit Menu
  • select the  Set-up 4 tab
  • select the firmware vers.: 2.0.2 AKA Firmware update and press the Set button
  • select Camera and hit Set
  • select OK and hit Set
  • wait until you see the green "Success!" screen of the installer
  • turn the mode dial to either Intelligent Auto or Movie mode (change the mode to disable the bootdisk)
  • wait for the camera to run the DisableBootDisk instructions. You will see "DisableBootDisk" and then the camera will eventually show you "BOOTDISK flag is DISABLED"
  • reboot the camera into an ML free state. I have never experienced a bug here.

if you need ML from this point on you just enable it. Does anyone get a bug even with the bootdisk flag off?

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on October 20, 2013, 09:28:01 PM

if you need ML from this point on you just enable it. Does anyone get a bug even with the bootdisk flag off?
...   how do you enable it after turning off the bootflag? or are you saying you don't have the bug because you don't have ML loading and running? I do not know about other people, but I take pics and shoot raw video while using the camera, so not having the bug is very important.

Gary

jerrykil

gary,
If you update firmware from the installer .fir file yet again, then it will leave your camera with the bootflag on. I was just thinking about this because i got to shoot a few pictures and ran into the bug at a critical point, and i just did that so i wouldn't ahve to deal with it. i did not need ML features at the time since it was a sunny day and the bracketing feature doesn't work right at the moment. i used canon's AEB after turning off ML. it didn't take that long but it was 100% reliable afterwards. i know many of us say twist the lens on and off or do a quickreboot, but i feel like it would be best practice to simply disable the bootflag for the duration you are not using the 22mm or you don't need the features (like when you're not shooting raw).

I posted this because at the time i thougth to myself, "no one on the forums seems to have brought this up as the best way to get on with your nonML shooting if the shutter bug is inhibiting you." i don't usually go back and forth between shooting/video and i use dual_iso in low light. Also, in low light, i generally use the 22mm cuz its faster. It has never given me a shutter bug yet.

gary2013

so, we have a third way to deal with it. ;D

Malakai

IMHO you guys are over-complicating this bug.
It only occurs when ML/TL is installed or running.
When the bootflag is disabled ML/TL is not running unless you used the non-bootloading version.
If you dont have bootflag installed or have not run the non-bootloading version then you wont have the bug as you are running default canon firmware.

Here are the facts.

• Installing any version of Magic or Tragic Lantern can cause the shutter bug to occur with any EF-M lens.
  • There have been no reports that the bug effects lenses using the EF-M adapter.
  • Running with the bootflag enabled means your camera will boot Magic/Tragic Lantern first then Canon firmware and can cause the bug with EF-M lenses
  • Running with the bootflag disabled means your camera only boots from the Canon firmware. As Magic/Tragic Lantern is no longer running the bug wont exist.
  • Enabling and Disabling the bootflag is as simple as runnng the firmware updater again and changing the mode dial to enable or disable the bootflag.
  • There are two ways to clear the bug when running Magic/Tragic Lantern. Do a quick power cycle or just rotate the lens while powered to break contact between the lens and body.
  • There are some people not experiencing the bug while running Magic/Tragic Lantern with different EF-M lenses. This could be due to many factors.

edit: Spelling and missed words.

gary2013

Quote from: Malakai on October 21, 2013, 11:51:51 AM
When the bootflag is disabled ML/TL is not running unless you used the non-bootloading version.
If you dont have bootflag installed or have not run the non-bootloading version then you wont have the bug as you are running default canon firmware.

Here are the facts.

• Installing any version of Magic or Tragic Lantern can cause the shutter bug to occur with any EF-M lens.
  • There have been no reports that the bug effects lenses using the EF-M adapter.
  • Running with the bootflag enabled means your camera will boot Magic/Tragic Lantern first then Canon firmware and can cause the bug with EF-M lenses
  • Running with the bootflag disabled means your camera only boots from the Canon firmware. As Magic/Tragic Lantern is no longer running the bug wont exist.
  • Enabling and Disabling the bootflag is as simple as runnng the firmware updater again.
  • There are two ways to clear the bug when running Tragic Lantern. Do a quick power cycle or just rotate the lens while powered to break contact between the lens and body.
  • There are some people not experiencing the bug with different EF-M lenses. This could be due to many factors.
Malakai,
I am not over complicating this. I am doing what we all here are suppose to be doing and that is testing " ML with the EOS M camera". The most important "fact" is that the bug is real, it has not been solved yet and many of us have the bug.

Cheers,
Gary

Malakai

I meant over-complicating in how this bug occurs. I think everyone on this thread is trying to help find a solution to this bug. I have it bad, it effects all of my ef-m lenses and its only on a much older build of TL that I can use my 22mm with TL without having the bug.
Ive been testing many solutions with a!ex the past few weeks to try and narrow down where the bug is occuring but as he said this bug is like looking for a needle in a haystack and a similar bug on another camera took nearly a year to find.

I was trying to clarify that the bug only occurs when running ML/TL. It doesnt occur when ML/TL isnt running, great information for people who are reading this thread and trying to figure out if they should run TL or not.

:)

maxotics

Thanks Jerrykil and Malakai, I posted your nice synopsis on the Shooter's guide.  I've been very busy with work lately.  Hope to get back to the camera soon.  In the beginning I was talking this camera up, then I stopped, but now I feel that yes, if you plan your camera usage around the shutter bug it isn't a big deal.  SD cards are so cheap now I'm just going to go the 2-card solution (photo or video).

jerrykil

Quote from: Malakai on October 21, 2013, 11:51:51 AM
I made the post about turning off the bootflag because I thought maybe some of the newer guys didn't know how its done and, because, in certain usage scenarios,  i would rather turn ML off once and for all rather than deal with quick power cycles and lens twisting every time i reboot the camera. Apologize if that caused confusion.

Stefano

Hi everybody,
first of all I wish to thank all the developers and contributors to this incredible project. It's fantastic!

I think I've found another way to clear the shutter bug lock-up;
I generally keep the sensor autocleaning off, but if the shutter locks due to the bug, I can simply unlock it by starting a sensor cleaning.
So far, this method worked.
Stefano

maxotics

Gary can you confirm this?  If so, I'll put in Shooter's guide.   

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on October 21, 2013, 07:24:22 PM
Gary can you confirm this?  If so, I'll put in Shooter's guide.
Max, Confirm what? I am not sure what you are asking me to confirm? Everything I have posted here are things I have done repeatedly before posting here.

Gary

Malakai

Gary, Use sensor clean to clear shutterbug, ill try this out later.

EVVK

Just thinking...Is there any room for anything that could be tried with the FIR installer? If the bootflag could be set in some other way?

a1ex

It's not the bootflag. The bug is present even with a minimal FIR that simply jumps to Canon firmware without enabling the bootflag.

jerrykil

sensor clean gets rid of the bug for me
does it reboot the camera?

Malakai

Sensor clear does the fast power cycle at the end so clears the bug. Same as turning it off and back on again, but its slower to do sensor clean.

Stefano

Hi everybody!
I'm still investigating on the shutterbug, to find a possible sequence of events ALWAYS triggering the problem.
I'd like just to add some more info here, maybe it's useful to somebody.

Shutterbug present, deleted ML folders, *.bin, *.fir.
Installed latest TL, turned on, bug present.
Removed lens, take photo, turn off, turn on, bug present.  :o
Then I tried something else;

Unflagged "bootdisk" and "eos_develop" with EosCard 1.40
Turn on, no TL running, shutterbug present.
Remove lens, take photo, turn off, turn on, shutterbug!
Removed card.
Camera works perfectly without card.

Low level card format, flagged Eos_develop and bootdisk copy TL files, turn on camera, shutterbug present.
Removed battery, battery in place, turn on camera, bug present.
Reset lens and camera settings, camera works.
Switch power, bug present.
Today it seems impossible to take a picture with TL.
Hope it helps!
Ciao to everybody
Stefano

a1ex

Quote from: Stefano on October 26, 2013, 10:12:36 AM
Unflagged "bootdisk" and "eos_develop" with EosCard 1.40
Turn on, no TL running, shutterbug present.

This one is interesting; maybe the bug is caused by card activity from bootloader code? (it might corrupt some memory or registers and the main firmware doesn't undo this).