EOS M Alpha shutter-bug discussion

Started by jerrykil, September 17, 2013, 07:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxotics

Quote from: jerrykil on October 14, 2013, 09:15:38 PM
Maxotics,
are you in liveview or standard canon view? camera may not take the picture because it needs more light to focus. i may not understan entirely...

I believe live-view.  When it's in manual focus mode, or DM is activated, it takes photos no matter how badly I set shutter or aperture.   What you should see is the screen getting corrupted and then the shutter bug by following the steps above.  I want 1% and us all to have a fool-proof way of getting the shutter bug. 

Thanks again Jerrykill.  You're right, it's a matter of the screen.  I can get it back by going to a good exposure.  The search continues...

1%

QuoteDM logging somehow stops bug

So taking over dryosdebugmsg stops the bug or no?

maxotics

Quote from: 1% on October 14, 2013, 10:08:24 PM
So taking over dryosdebugmsg stops the bug or no?

Sorry 1%, don't know what that quite means.  When I follow the steps above the screen goes crazy when the exposure if far off.  If I enable DM the craziness stops.  And stays stopped even when I turn/save DM.  But screen bug comes back again if I cycle camera on/off.

1%

DM log takes over dryos debugmsg which prints all those nice log messages... if this kills the shutter bug it means some message is missed or printed when the bug occurs.

maxotics

I still don't understand quite.  This isn't the shutter bug, in that I can keep taking images.  It might be related.  This is, I guess, a live-view bug. 

1%

maxotics

Quote from: 1% on October 14, 2013, 10:31:17 PM
FPS override?

How did you see in the future ;)  Yes, when I disable FPS ( was at 23.9) the problem goes away!

1%

On digic V with the flip flop FPS it can screw up and add the wrong values for the mode. The fix is to press play and make it re do everything...

ie. it will place values from crop into regular lv or 10x and then the screen will be purple/screwy.

maxotics

Yes, fix it in a way,  Pressing play and back get you to a good screen, but if you half-press while the exposure is set badly the corrupted screen comes back.  I can work around it.

Hopefully this stuff is helpful.  I'll keep searching for a way to reliably get show-stopping shutter bug.

1%

When AFing the camera goes to 60FPS so that is also a problem.

jerrykil

Quote from: maxotics on October 14, 2013, 09:18:11 PM
Thanks again Jerrykill.  You're right, it's a matter of the screen.  I can get it back by going to a good exposure.  The search continues...
stick to manual focus, since with the shutterbug it won't fire in manual focus, either

maxotics

If this was the bug I was experiencing at the Bar Mitzvah I could have easily worked around it, per 1% instructions.  So I'm back to not being absolutely sure I've experienced the elusive shutter bug.

1%

I think the best thing is to try in MF.. I too forget FPS override, its unnecessary in photo mode just taking pics.

I'm guessing since I don't have the lenses that the shutter bug is when you don't AF but hold down the shutter and nothing happens. SW2 is missed and you can click away with no results.

jerrykil

with the shutter bug you can AF or not, you will not get a fire until you reboot. If you have AF on, it will find focus just fine, it will even display green brackets, but thats as far as it'll go. if u try the touch shutter, it'll freeze the camera at the green bracket

gary2013

Alex and 1%,
You asked for ways to replicate the bug and I think I have found a way. I also figured out how to get rid of the bug. I mentioned here the other day I did not have the bug again. I added the modules one by one and I eventually had all the modules loaded and I still did not have the bug. Even after typical use of the camera recording raw and taking pics using the EFM 18-55mm lens.

I got the bug again last night when I used the USB cable to transfer files and load picture styles. When I unplug the USB, the camera would not shut off as I have mentioned here before. I have replicated that using the USB will always add the bug. 

I got rid of the bug by using Canon Clear All Settings and then Canon format, but, keep the ML files on the card option and do not use the low level format. After the format, reboot the camera and then the bug goes away. All the ML stuff was still loaded and working. I have replicated this procedure as well.

I am using the latest Oct 15th version. The bad thing is I then lose the exfat format I had on the card. The Canon format always returns it to Fat32.

Gary

1%

So if you don't use the USB cable its ok?

The USB is hard to fix, it won't shut down even if you don't use malloc memory. It just pops the camera back on in a weird can't do dm log/use a bunch of stuff state. Its a different mode, when the camera comes on with that yellow/flashing light you can still use USB. If it starts the bug I'd just not use it and dump the camera by pulling the card.

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on October 16, 2013, 05:18:34 PM
So if you don't use the USB cable its ok?

The USB is hard to fix, it won't shut down even if you don't use malloc memory. It just pops the camera back on in a weird can't do dm log/use a bunch of stuff state. Its a different mode, when the camera comes on with that yellow/flashing light you can still use USB. If it starts the bug I'd just not use it and dump the camera by pulling the card.
Yes, I have not used the USB and it is still bug free. We have to use the USB sometimes like to get the picture profiles on the camera. When I do the Canon format, it deletes my user styles. I do need the Cinestyle profile, but I can hold off for now while helping to test.

Gary

Malakai

Quote from: gary2013 on October 16, 2013, 03:08:49 PM
Alex and 1%,
You asked for ways to replicate the bug and I think I have found a way. I also figured out how to get rid of the bug. I mentioned here the other day I did not have the bug again. I added the modules one by one and I eventually had all the modules loaded and I still did not have the bug. Even after typical use of the camera recording raw and taking pics using the EFM 18-55mm lens.

I got the bug again last night when I used the USB cable to transfer files and load picture styles. When I unplug the USB, the camera would not shut off as I have mentioned here before. I have replicated that using the USB will always add the bug. 

I got rid of the bug by using Canon Clear All Settings and then Canon format, but, keep the ML files on the card option and do not use the low level format. After the format, reboot the camera and then the bug goes away. All the ML stuff was still loaded and working. I have replicated this procedure as well.

I am using the latest Oct 15th version. The bad thing is I then lose the exfat format I had on the card. The Canon format always returns it to Fat32.

Gary

This clears the shutter bug?
Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

1%

Shit, that is a catch 22. I like marvell's and it sucks now you have to chose.

Malakai

The steps gary outlined didnt clear the bug for me.
Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

maxotics

I never use USB, maybe part reason I haven't had bug yet?

1%

Probably relevant part is to clear canon settings. So I'd take the card out and then do that and see if the bug is gone.

Only q? bug lens on or bug lens off?

maxotics

My experience too, about clear settings.

gary2013

Quote from: Malakai on October 17, 2013, 12:08:35 AM
The steps gary outlined didnt clear the bug for me.
I was afraid of that thinking everyone might have different things going on. :-(  How many times did you try Malakai. maybe give it one more try and make sure you do the steps exactly. Clear "All" camera settings in Canon menus. Then Canon Format-keep ML files and do not use the low level format. just reboot and try to take a pic. This bug is crazy. I tried it and it worked for me 3 times. I did this all with the ML Oct 15th version already installed with the bug.

Gary

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on October 16, 2013, 09:13:10 PM
Shit, that is a catch 22. I like marvell's and it sucks now you have to chose.
I have been trying Cinestyle, Marvel and Flaat 11. I keep coming back to Cinestryle.

Gary