EOS M Alpha shutter-bug discussion

Started by jerrykil, September 17, 2013, 07:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerrykil

yeah, totally, let us know if gets back to you

jerrykil

Quote from: gary2013 on September 27, 2013, 06:24:36 PM
I just did as you asked with the autoexec and I did not have a shutterbug with it. I did notice there was no red flash led by the power button like we usually get when we have ML and shut off the camera. I still feel the bug has something to do with the power off routine. When there is a bug, it is there at power on and the twist and fast power cycle corrects it.

gary
Quote from: andyroo on September 26, 2013, 02:04:56 AM
@a1ex: I replaced the autoexec in Rootwang's build with your "minimum build" and still had the shutterbug (installed and bootflagged with the full autoexec though first, and saw the shutterbug - would that make a difference?)

I can reliably remove the shutterbug if I disable bootflag from the fw update menu (install new fw, switch to auto settings on the top dial). I always low-level format the card in-camera.

Andy

So far we have contradicting reports of the minimal autoexec.bin effect on shutterbug. i'm gunna throw it on my camera today and see if i get it. problem is, i don't always get the shutter bug. can more of us give it a try?

link: http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/EOS-M/minimal/autoexec.bin

1%

If the empty bin is shutter bug free then I'm game. We already tried fir and different boot methods so it should be solveable if its not from that and something in ML like a property or setting.

maxotics

I formatted card in PC, formatted in camera, EOScard utilitied it, put on the latest ML, but REPLACED the autoexec.bin with Alex's.  I then started taking many photos, videos, etc.  No shutter bug.

I then put the lens on my other EOS-M body with a 9/26 build, or something like that.  No shutter bug.  Took RAW, took H.264, took photos.  turned camera off and on, many times, switched the dials, etc.  No shutter bug.

Put lens back on new body, took more photos video, no shutter bug.

Outside my house, turned camera on, aimed at motorcycle, had red square, tried to take photo. SHUTTER BUG.  It was low light.  I also noticed that changing the shutter/aperture didn't change meter.  I think there is a good chance the camera wasn't exposed/focus locked correctly on that first shot--that wouldn't fire.  This is camera that has NEVER loaded ML.  Only Alex's autoexec.bin.

Neighbor came over and we got into 15 minute conversation.  After he left I turned camera on, problem gone.  I took photos.  NO SHUTTER BUG.

So the only thing I can see that may have caused it was the camera not being set to the proper exposure/focus for shooting and then freezing. 

Hopefully this means something to 1%.

1%

Ok, now we're getting somewhere... maybe mess with expo override and AF settings some more.

jerrykil

shutter doesn't fire with AF on unless there is a focus lock. maxotics, you said you had red brackets? that means you didn't get a focus and thus the shutter didn't fire. shutter bug is when you have green brackets but no fire. same thing with MF, it just doesn't go...

maxotics

Hi jerrykil, I understand that.  Normally, after you try to take a photo after the red brackets you can try again, change some settings, and it will work.  It didn't.  It was frozen.  I aimed at the sky, at a building very well lit.  I couldn't get the shutter button to work.  When I turned it on again, I aim at the last thing I had tried when it wasn't working and it worked.  Make sense now?

maxotics

BTW, have been trying to re-produce problem.  It is possible that jerrykil is onto something and I was rushing it.  So I wouldn't look into it too far, 1%, until I can reproduce again.

jerrykil

Quote from: maxotics on October 03, 2013, 12:44:26 AM
BTW, have been trying to re-produce problem.  It is possible that jerrykil is onto something and I was rushing it.  So I wouldn't look into it too far, 1%, until I can reproduce again.
so far we've had one report of a shutter bug with the minimal .bin and one report with no shutter bug. its hard for me to say because I could go days wihtout a shutterbug. maxotics, i wouldn't be surprised if it comes back.

edit: starting to think it has to do with the phase of the moon at this point

maxotics

I'm cautiously optimistic that the bug is gone, or will only be once in a while minor inconvenience.  I really hammered on the camera and couldn't get it.   Will try some more tomorrow.  Thanks for busting my balls so I tried to reproduce :)  You just cannot ASSUME anything de-bugging tech.

Malakai

@maxotics
Can you put a video up showing your process. From installation to showing the tragic lantern menu after powering camera on then taking shots without the bug please. I want to recreate your steps exactly as you have done them to copy you to see if i can eliminate the bug using your process.

Ta
Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

jerrykil

malakai, we are testing minimal .bin which circumvents the ML loading processs, thus its just stock canon firmware and no ML. this is for the sake of debugging! try it too, see ifyou still get the bug with the minimal .bin

Malakai

I had been working with a1ex testing a few custom autoexec.bins and magic lantern a few weeks ago, even down to one that all it does is start the stock firmware but still had the shutter bug with it. He then let you guys test it out to see what results came from it I guess. I asked for a video so I could follow your routine exactly and see if I can echo what you are getting.

jerrykil

malakai, i don't get a shutter bug with the minimal .bin, but that has to be taken with a grain of salt because my shutterbug comes and goes. are you saying that you still have a shutter bug with the minimal .bin? do you have a shutterbug with the bootflag off, also?

Malakai

I get the shutter bug using both magic lantern and tragic lantern using all the autoexec.bin files you have been testing. Including the minimal one where all it does is start the canon FW. If i disable bootflag (remove ML/TL) the bug goes with it.

1%

If its on the minimal bin, it really sucks.

EVVK

Yes, but I got the shutter bug without any files at all on the memory card. Totally formated and repartitioned the card. So I wonder If it's something else bootflags or something that has been poking in wrong addresses in earlier versions.

What I haven't tried yet is to re-flash the official canon firmware once again.

gary2013

Quote from: EVVK on October 04, 2013, 08:15:00 PM
Yes, but I got the shutter bug without any files at all on the memory card. Totally formated and repartitioned the card. So I wonder If it's something else bootflags or something that has been poking in wrong addresses in earlier versions.

What I haven't tried yet is to re-flash the official canon firmware once again.
that is what happened to me. I did try re flashing the Canon firmware 2 and no luck. the only thing I did not do was the bootflag. and I think the eoscard may have had something to do with hidden files I could not find an delete. i got a new 32gb card and all the shutter bug problems went away for me.

gary

EVVK

I went in in the upgrade mode and Disabled Bootflag with ML FIR files. Booted and did a low-level/slow format on the camera. Put the official firmware update there and flashed firmware. Seems to work alright now, but it probably needs deeper testing to verify that the bug is totally gone.

Next step would probably be to completly restore all camera settings to factory I guess. But it seems to be working for me at the moment.

EVVK

No shutter bug after even more testing...

However I shot something with the 11-22mm lens I get some weird color distortion, randomly about 2/10 times it shows green or pinkish in LiveView between bursts in M-mode, I don't think it should be there, it is more like something that could appear with ML.

The images that were saved were OK, only appeared in LiveView for split seconds...

EDIT: Restored(?) "all camera settings" or whatever it's called, have Swedish language here so the actual words could differ. (Did NOT restore C.Fn) , and after this I do NOT get any weird colors in LiveView anymore. So everything seems to be back normal, like it came from the factory. :)

jerrykil

so i've been doing this minimal bin for a week and i have no shutter-bug.
heres a crab:
http://www.bot-fly.com/crabbie_guy.jpg

jerrykil

Quote from: EVVK on October 04, 2013, 08:47:39 PM
No shutter bug after even more testing...
is this with ML? i'm confused

EVVK

No, the point was to get rid of the shutter bug and restore the whole camera like it came from factory.

Anyway, made the memory card bootable once again, and only put that autoexec.bin in the root, still works like it should. But how can I tell if it really executed that file?

Malakai

Quote from: jerrykil on October 06, 2013, 09:11:35 AM
so i've been doing this minimal bin for a week and i have no shutter-bug.
heres a crab:
http://www.bot-fly.com/crabbie_guy.jpg

I don't get this. Are the folks who claim they don't have the shutter bug with the 18-55mm EF-M actually bootloading and running ML/TL on the camera? The bug shouldn't be there if the bootflag has been removed as the camera is loading straight into the OFW. The custom FW just hooks in and allows autoexec.bin to run.

Quote from: EVVK on October 06, 2013, 12:42:45 PM
No, the point was to get rid of the shutter bug and restore the whole camera like it came from factory.

Anyway, made the memory card bootable once again, and only put that autoexec.bin in the root, still works like it should. But how can I tell if it really executed that file?

The point of this thread is to discuss and possibly find the cause of the shutter bug while ML/TL is installed and running. The bug comes with ML/TL and by removing it you remove the bug.

EVVK

Quote from: Malakai on October 06, 2013, 02:17:55 PM
The point of this thread is to discuss and possibly find the cause of the shutter bug while ML/TL is installed and running. The bug comes with ML/TL and by removing it you remove the bug.
If you just re-read everything, I had the bug with a clean memory card, it's a left over from ML. The pure Canon firmware doesn't produce the shutter bug so it's related to ML, I just had to back off everything back to stock to get it all clean of the issues that were from use of ML, why complain, I'm just trying to feed information here! Which could determine hints of which wrong addresses are altered by ML.