EOS M Alpha shutter-bug discussion

Started by jerrykil, September 17, 2013, 07:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary2013

:-( The shutter bug has returned to my camera. After I said the new 32gb card was free from the bug, it now shows up again and I did nothing to make it happen. My camera worked fine earlier today and over the last few days since I got the new card. Very strange. A time release bug? 

Gary

maxotics

I was thinking this morning that maybe the camera is doing something while reading the ML into memory.  In old-school parlance, they're both calling the same "interupt".   Maybe the connection between your big card, and your new card (which may be filled and slower) is triggering that problem. 

If 1% thinks this at all possible maybe he can put a 5 second delay before ML loads?  Or something like that.

gary2013

my new card has never been filled much at all. just a dozen pics and a few raws and a few mov files of very short length only for some testing.

gary

andyroo

Quote from: funkysound on September 24, 2013, 02:58:23 PMI wrote a few times that I don´t have the shutter bug with using the compiled old version from Rootwang.
...I had to uninstal bootflag, then to format the card, install the old version again, instal bootflag ... and it works again - no shutter bug!
There has to be an important differnce between these versions. I think it may be interesting that I had to unistal the bootflag and to format the card to make the old version work again.

@funkysound: I tried to duplicate your findings, installing the Rootwang build from http://www.sendspace.com/file/37061u after removing the bootflag and reformatting my card (low level format in-camera). I still get the shutterbug with that build.

Does everyone with the bug have 2.02 on the camera and 2.00 on the lens? Does anyone (with or without the bug) have different firmware on the 18-55 mm lens?

Andy

maxotics

Quote from: gary2013 on September 26, 2013, 01:36:49 AM
my new card has never been filled much at all. just a dozen pics and a few raws and a few mov files of very short length only for some testing.
gary

Maybe it doesn't take much?

andyroo

Quote from: a1ex on September 24, 2013, 07:55:53 PM
Can you confirm the findings from post #43?

@a1ex: I replaced the autoexec in Rootwang's build with your "minimum build" and still had the shutterbug (installed and bootflagged with the full autoexec though first, and saw the shutterbug - would that make a difference?)

I can reliably remove the shutterbug if I disable bootflag from the fw update menu (install new fw, switch to auto settings on the top dial). I always low-level format the card in-camera.

Andy

Malakai

I uploaded a video covering the shutter bug that occurs when using either Magic or Tragic Lantern and an EF-M lens with electronic IS.

Mute the youtube music if you want. It was a silent movie :D
Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

maxotics

Awesome Malakai!  Thanks for taking the time to create that!  Seeing is believing!

Malakai

No worries, only took ten minutes to throw together.
Gives folks a better idea on how to install ML/TL and how the bug is effecting it.

1%

Malakai

Yes, autofocus works, just no shutter activation.

WiGgLr

I still have the rootwang version installed without the bug

Malakai

@wigglr which .fir are you using to bootload? can you share it please.

Malakai

Just tested the botfly 26th Sept release on two different SD cards and I still have shutter bug.

jerrykil

Guys, a1ex asked us to try the 'blank' auto exec.bin to see if it produces the same shutter bug. i have exams and my bug does not always occur, so can you guys download this:
http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/EOS-M/minimal/autoexec.bin
and replace it on your card, then test the shutter, with all else held constant...

reminder: a1ex runs the show

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on September 27, 2013, 04:28:18 PM
Guys, a1ex asked us to try the 'blank' auto exec.bin to see if it produces the same shutter bug. i have exams and my bug does not always occur, so can you guys download this:
http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/EOS-M/minimal/autoexec.bin
and replace it on your card, then test the shutter, with all else held constant...

reminder: a1ex runs the show

I just did as you asked with the autoexec and I did not have a shutterbug with it. I did notice there was no red flash led by the power button like we usually get when we have ML and shut off the camera. I still feel the bug has something to do with the power off routine. When there is a bug, it is there at power on and the twist and fast power cycle corrects it.

gary

funkysound

I´m very glad that I never really had a problem which I couldn´t solve with this f... shutter bug that goes on every bodys nerves - hope it will not come to me one day like it happened to some people as I did read here.
Just wanted to mention that I highly respect all the efford which you all put into making this beautiful little cam work!
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

WiGgLr

Quote from: Malakai on September 27, 2013, 01:27:04 PM
@wigglr which .fir are you using to bootload? can you share it please.

This one http://wigglr.co.uk/EOSM1202.FIR.FIR

I didn't use MacOS files, dunno if that matters

gary2013

i have no shutter bug with ver sept 29.

maxotics

I just ordered an EOS-M with the 18-55 IS lens.  But I'm hoping you guys fix it before it gets here :)  Otherwise, maybe a fresh set of eyes.

jerrykil

woudl you guys pitch in 20$ to get 1% an IS lens? i would

WiGgLr

maxotics

I just PMd 1%, I got my camera in half an hour ago.  I offered to send him the lens and you guys can pay me if that's good for him. (I already have the 22mm lens)