EOS M Alpha shutter-bug discussion

Started by jerrykil, September 17, 2013, 07:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiGgLr

Quote from: gary2013 on September 18, 2013, 04:19:00 PM
I am curious to know if anyone has a 64 gb and/or a 128 gb card and what their results are for the shutter bug.

Gary

I mentioned that I have a 64GB card here

Quote from: WiGgLr on September 17, 2013, 10:00:23 AM
I first installed ML with an old 2GB card, then used EOSCard from the site install FAQ to put ML on one of these 64GB cards:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007JTKM30/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't have the shutter bug on either card.

Hope that helps

Malakai

@WiGgLr, which *.fir file are you using? Are you updating the firmware to install ML with a lens attached or not? I cant see how the card you use could cause the shutter bug.
@1% whats the purpose of the *.fir file? i appreciate its to allow fw update in the camera settings but what does it do? Does it hook into the canon FW to allow ML to run. If so what does it change in the canon FW that may be linked to the bug? Also. When powering off the camera. Whats the last write it does to the card?
Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

gary2013

WiGgLr
yes, that helps me. makes the shutter bug more elusive. I thought I was not alone with the shutter bug, but now I feel maybe I am and it's  me and this komputerbay card. Maybe it's just 128 gb cards. I would like to hear if anyone else is using a 128 gb cards and if/ if not they have a shutter bug. That could narrow it down more.

Malakai.
I have a strong feeling ML is doing something when we shut the camera down so it has the bug when we power up later on. The camera twist probably send a new correct update so it then works.
Gary

andyroo

I think I might have figured something out about the shutter bug. For me it's also a workaround.

First, here's my camera behavior on powerup.

1. Press powerbutton
2.  four-five rapid green flashes, then 14-15 amber flashes
3. LCD comes on
4. one quick amber flash
4. Half-press shutter button and get focus, full press and nothing happens - AKA "shutter bug"
5. press powerbutton. LCD goes off and
6a. one quick amber flash,
6b. a couple seconds later, another long flash after the "Sensor cleaning" icon disappears
7. camera is off.

BUT, if I press the power button a second time between 6a and 6b - basically right after I turn it off, turn it back on again, then I get about 20 quick green flashes (or sometimes just a long pause until the LCD comes back on) and I can take a picture EVERY TIME. In other words, with the shutterbug, here's what I have to do to take a picture:

1. Press powerbutton
2.  four-five rapid green flashes, then 14-15 amber flashes
3. LCD comes on
4. one quick amber flash
5. press powerbutton
6a. one quick amber flash,
7. quickly press the powerbutton again (like 0.5 seconds or so - if there's a second amber flash it's too late)
8. about 20 quick green flashes (or sometimes just a long pause)
9. LCD comes on again
10. happily take pictures

If I powercycle normally, I used to think that I had about a 20% chance of a working shutter. But now that I've been watching the LEDs, if I wait for the long orange light at the end, so far I've powercycled a dozen times and had the shutter bug every time. Conversely, the quick off/on cycle after initial powerup has worked the last dozen twenty times too.

I installed magiclantern from these two files:

http://ml.bot-fly.com/EOSM1202.FIR
http://ml.bot-fly.com/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Sep17.EOSM202.zip

I have the 18-55 mm lens, camera fw 2.02, lens fw 2.00 (never upgraded, my camera came with 2.02). ML on a Transcend SDHC Class 10 32 GB card

Here's a question for folks with the 18-55mm lens and no shutter bug - when you initially power up, do you see the green and amber lights rapidly flashing, or only green? Are the other light sequences the same?

WiGgLr

Quote from: Malakai on September 18, 2013, 06:04:27 PM
@WiGgLr, which *.fir file are you using? Are you updating the firmware to install ML with a lens attached or not? I cant see how the card you use could cause the shutter bug.

I took the ML files from this post: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3648.msg68248#msg68248
as advised by funkysound, who also didn't have the shutter bug. Looks like there is a .fir file in there, my bad. I just checked and that is still on the 64GB card.

I had nothing attached to the camera at all, no lens, no speedlite, nothing. I followed this guide from here ad assumed a lens is an accessory http://www.magiclantern.fm/install.html

QuoteStep 1. Preparing your camera

Use a fully charged Canon battery (original, not third party);
-Remove any accessories from your camera (such as battery grip or external flash);
-For first install, use a simple SD/SDHC/CF card (32 GB or smaller). 64GB cards and larger will not work for first install (but you can use them with ML, see below).
-Make sure you have a card reader.
-Double-check your Canon firmware version.
-Rotate your mode dial to Manual (M) position.
-Recommended: Restore your camera to default settings (Clear settings, see picture above). Remember this will reset all canon settings and removes custom picture styles!

Step 2. Installation

Format the card in the camera (low-level format).
Unzip all of the files from Magic Lantern zip archive to the root of your card.
Launch the Firmware Update process.
If the card LED is blinking for more than a few seconds, upgrade your Canon firmware from the links above (even if you already have the correct firmware version number!) and try again.
Once you see the green confirmation screen, restart your camera. Done.

Once I'd done that with my smaller card, I followed the instructions to put ML on my 64GB card using EOSCard linked in the same set of instructions:
QuoteInstalling Magic Lantern on other cards

If you use SD/SDHC/CF cards, you may simply repeat Step 2 on every card you would like to use Magic Lantern.
If you use SDXC cards, or if you prefer to skip the firmware update step and prepare all your cards from the PC, you may copy ML files on your card and make it bootable with a special utility: EOScard for Windows

I have put nothing else on the card at all.

1%

Quote@1% whats the purpose of the *.fir file?

Fir file is the installer (or should be).. there was like 1 build before which actually ran from the fir exploit, but it was just 1.

WiGgLr

Andy, just saw your post. I'll look tomorrow as I've just gone to bed.

Malakai

@andyroo thats the power cycle fix, you can also get the same result by just rotating your lens on the body after you turned it on. Breaks the connection with the lens and body momentarily.

I outlined it here ;)

andyroo

Quote from: Malakai on September 19, 2013, 01:49:07 AM@andyroo thats the power cycle fix, you can also get the same result by just rotating your lens on the body after you turned it on. Breaks the connection with the lens and body momentarily. I outlined it here ;)
Aw shucks. I got all excited because I thought I found something new.

That's what I get for skipping a few pages of the dev discussion. :)

jerrykil

Quote from: 1% on September 19, 2013, 01:04:05 AM
Fir file is the installer (or should be).. there was like 1 build before which actually ran from the fir exploit, but it was just 1.
http://ml.bot-fly.com/fir_files/UpDaterM.fir is that very file. its from the "no installer" zip that was put out at first. you have to run the exploit every time you boot. of course, its a bigger inconvenience but if you wanna play with it and see if it changes anything for the shutter, then i've posted it up there. you have to uninstall the ML bootflag first. I'm not sure if its stored on the card or on the camera.

turning off the bootflag involves 'firmware updating' your cam with EOSM1202.FIR or EOSM_202.fir installer fir's and then when you get the "success!!" screen, you simply turn the dial to a different mode. you will get a bootflag disabled screen. then you can replace the .fir on your card with the one here and install off of that each time you want to use ML. my bug is rarely there, but i'd be curious to see if the bug was there with this exploit.

maybe theres something to it

1%

So is it still present on the regular bin?

gary2013

Quote from: 1% on September 23, 2013, 05:43:03 PM
So is it still present on the regular bin?
my shutter bug appears to be gone because i sent my komputerbay 128gb 60 write card back for a refund and i got a new sandisk 32gb 45 write card today. I did not apply that eoascard.exe which i think was part of the problem) to this new card. So, for me, it was either it being a Komputerbay card, or 128gb size, using the eoscard.exe or some combination causing the shutter bug. BTW, something made a small partition on that komputerbay card that I was never able to delete and reformat. Possibly eoascard did it?

gary

andyroo

I installed the most recent ML build from http://ml.bot-fly.com/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Sep22.EOSM202.zip on top of magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Sep17.EOSM202, and I still have the bug.

I tried wiping the ML directory and copying new files over but got a "missing fonts" error, so re-copied the 9/17 files back, then the 9/22 files on top of those.

I am a little confused about Gary's shutterbug problem being associated with a particular card, but after reading his post I decided to try another card just for the heck of it, so I broke out a Kingston SDHC Class 10 16GB card, low-level formatted in-camera, copied the 9/17 files (minus the .FIR), then the 9/22 files.

Shutterbug is still present.

gary2013

andy,
try a new card without any ML and see if the bug is still there. Try a new format in the canon menu and make sure you use a finger tap to delete all the ML files, reboot and see if the bug is still there. Make sure you try everything, like clearing all the settings in the canon menu first. format  on the computer first, then the in camera canon format then back to the computer and add the ML stuff.
BTW, welcome to the club. this will drive you crazy. :-)

gary

Malakai

The shutter bug only occurs with ML. Not having ML on a card means the shutter bug wont happen as ML isnt running. ive tried it on everything from a 512mb card up to a 32gb card with the shutterbug occuring on every test that has ML running. That includes both the older non booting versions and the bootloading versions.

This leads me to believe the issue is happening when ML hooks into the OFW something to do with the electronic IS starting before ML as this bug doesnt happen with the 22mm ef-m. Only the two ef-m lenses with IS.
The bug is eliminated when the lens breaks contact with the camera. Either by the hard process of turning the lens or the soft process when the power cycle trick is used. by the look of things the power down routine from the camera is:

1. power button press
2. kill power to IS and close lens iris
3. run sensor clean
4. stop sensor clean
5. save final write to ML
6. full power off.

As we interupt the camera between stage 3 and 5, ML is still running on the camera and the camera has to re-establish a connection to the electronic IS and therefore allows the camera to shoot. The same thing occurs when you rotate the lens. The camera has to re-establish a connection to the IS while ML is running.

Perhaps there is a way to get the electronic IS to start after ML has started at power up?

Hope that made sense lol

gary2013

Quote from: Malakai on September 24, 2013, 01:21:39 AM
The shutter bug only occurs with ML. Not having ML on a card means the shutter bug wont happen as ML isnt running.
oddly enough, that was not true in my case. I deleted "all" the ML files and reformatted my 128gb card many times and the shutter bug remained on my camera.  After many days of trying everything on earth and talking with many people on here and elsewhere, it appeared that it was not going away as long as I kept using that 128gb card even with no ML files installed on it. So, I sent it back for a refund and bought a 32gb sandisk and I now do not have the shutter bug. Go figure. There had to be something on that card that I could not see or get rid of. As I mentioned before, there was a small partition on that card that I never could get rid of. It would not allow me to delete of reformat that small partition. It may have been something like 16mb in size. I can't recall. I think eoscard made that partition. That is just a guess on my part. When I started here, I was told to use eoascard since the card was larger than 32 gb.

Gary

Malakai

a1ex

With this minimal autoexec (which does nothing but jumping to Canon firmware), the shutter bug is still present according to Malakai.

"B       0xFF0C0000\n"

maxotics

I don't have this bug but feel it crucial to the success of ML in the EOS-M camera and probably future Canon cameras.  Everyone who is working on this problem.  Thank you.  One day I'll get one of those lenses and it will work because of you--I hope :)  I have my own problems (focus pixels) but want to tell you I'm with you in spirit.  You're doing important work!

funkysound

I wrote a few times that I don´t have the shutter bug with using the compiled old version from Rootwang.
Now I just installed the newest version from http://ml.bot-fly.com/ ... and here we are with the bug!
So I tried to use the old version again ... but the shutter bug still stayed whatever I did.

I had to uninstal bootflag, then to format the card, install the old version again, instal bootflag ... and it works again - no shutter bug!
There has to be an important differnce between these versions. I think it may be interesting that I had to unistal the bootflag and to format the card to make the old version work again.

I hope this helpes.
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

a1ex

Can you confirm the findings from post #43?

funkysound

Quote from: a1ex on September 24, 2013, 07:55:53 PM
Can you confirm the findings from post #43?

Hope I did understand right what you mean =
I installed the latest ML version but changed to the "minmal" autoexec.bin you posted.
I got strange pictures on the screen when I installed. After restarting there was no ML.

But ... then I changed back to "normal" autoexec.bin and installed again ... again strange pictures ... and after a restart ML was back again and I have NO shutter bug with the latest version from http://ml.bot-fly.com/

For me it´s getting too confusing but it´s the way it is. The newest version which didn´t work like I wrote in post #45 is working without shutter bug now after using one time the "minmal" autoexec.bin and changing back to the normal one.
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

a1ex

That autoexec simply jumps to Canon firmware (so obviously, no ML). I'm asking you if the shutter bug is present when you are running it, or not.

funkysound

Quote from: a1ex on September 24, 2013, 09:26:09 PM
That autoexec simply jumps to Canon firmware (so obviously, no ML). I'm asking you if the shutter bug is present when you are running it, or not.

NO shutter bug