Audio Output Headphone/HDMI Manual Option Request.

Started by jas.brooks, September 16, 2013, 01:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jas.brooks

Dear all,

I've recently started using a Zacuto EVF with my 5Dmk3. It's a great little display in many ways, but unfortunately doesn't have any headphone out port. This means that when I'm shooting with the EVF attached, the camera sends the audio to the monitor and switches off the internal 5D headphone socket. Because I can't plug into the EVF, I can't monitor at all. This is obviously restricting in a rather annoying way!

I was hoping that it might be possible (and perhaps not even too complex!) to implement a manually switchable audio setting menu option. I can imagine something like an - "Audio Output Override: Auto/Internal/HDMI" setting, that would allow the user to choose how they want to monitor their audio.

Please do let me know if anyone could use any help testing this (or indeed anything else for the 5Dmk3).

With many thanks,

jason brooks

stevefal

I use a 5D3 with a SmallHD DP6, and I don't lose the camera's headphone output when the monitor is connected via HDMI.
Steve Falcon

jas.brooks

--- ORIGINAL REQUEST MODIFIED ---

I have realised that stevefal's comment above is correct, and that the internal headphone socket does indeed continue to feed during shooting.

However, I realised that the original request would still be applicable to audio during playback/review (when there is definitely only audio over HDMI). Of course this is a much less pressing issue, but I (and presumably others using external monitors) would still find it useful to be able to force audio from the camera-body headphone socket only during playback/review.

Apologies for initial mistake, and thanks!

jason