Has canon even said a word about ML?

Started by xNiNELiVES, September 15, 2013, 08:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xNiNELiVES

It seems like they don't even know it exists. Curious to know...

Africashot

Never heard of anything except for the whole "... unleashing the force of their legal department" if the 1D or C series gets hacked, although I am not sure if that isn't an urban legend altogether!
It is time they reach the 21st century and realize that they are a company manufacturing hardware, software has never been their strong point so why not embrace this fantastic development and offer at least some cooperation with technical information, although ideally they should simply pay all devs the good salay they deserve and make ML the standard firmware for all EOS devices!
ML 5D2 & T3i

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on September 15, 2013, 08:51:18 AM
It seems like they don't even know it exists. Curious to know...

They know it exist ... I've talked with the service techs at the VA service center several times and they are well aware of ML.  One guy I talked with even hinted that a few of them use it.

And yes, it does not void your warranty.

edit:  ML is the best thing that could have happened to Canon ... sales increased 10 fold on their DSLR line.

RenatoPhoto

Canon is not stupid!  They are getting a free R&D department which is generating the greatest advancements for photo and video period!

FOR FREE!!!
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 15, 2013, 02:16:28 PM
Canon is not stupid!  They are getting a free R&D department which is generating the greatest advancements for photo and video period!

Agreed!

RenatoPhoto

Can Canon or any other manufacturer incorporate this code in their cameras without any agreements or loyalties to ML?
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

arrinkiiii

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 15, 2013, 02:16:28 PM

FOR FREE!!!

Exactly!!! Assistance and upgrades... for free, without any cost for them!

Audionut

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 15, 2013, 02:33:59 PM
Can Canon or any other manufacturer incorporate this code in their cameras without any agreements or loyalties to ML?

They should abide by the conditions of the GPL.

deletedAcc.0021

I don't believe they can due to copyright laws.  Even open source is copyrighted.

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/foss-primer.html

RenatoPhoto

N/A

Quote from: dslrrookie on September 15, 2013, 01:59:25 PM
They know it exist ... I've talked with the service techs at the VA service center several times and they are well aware of ML.  One guy I talked with even hinted that a few of them use it.

And yes, it does not void your warranty.

edit:  ML is the best thing that could have happened to Canon ... sales increased 10 fold on their DSLR line.
Ohhhhhh this just gave me an idea.....
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

gotar

Of course they can, why wouldn't they? GPL license allows anyone, including Canon, to redistribute the code and all it's derivatives (providing the sources on any request). And it doesn't have impact on their internal (closed-source) firmware as long as they won't infect it with any GPL code.

Different thing is all the artwork (logo, font shapes, documentation etc.) which requires appropriate licenses (not code-related like GPL). See Librecad example, which code was forked from Qcad (under Ribbonsoft maintance), but had to drop all the non-code parts.

g3gg0

believe me... not the code is the valuable thing - its the hundreds of hours testing and thinking.

they can simply reimplement it within few weeks, regardless of our license.
as long we didnt "patent" the methology (i.e. Dual ISO) they can use it for whatever they like.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

gotar

Quote from: g3gg0 on September 16, 2013, 02:44:23 PM
believe me... not the code is the valuable thing - its the hundreds of hours testing and thinking.

they can simply reimplement it within few weeks, regardless of our license.

Sure - I bet they would write their own code anyway (they got all specs you might dream of, wouldn't bother with booting, bricking, could easily attach full-blown debugger, have control over base firmware, might seamlessly integrate with it etc.). I just answered the question: they can do anything they want without asking for permission or any kind of fees.

as long we didnt "patent" the methology (i.e. Dual ISO) they can use it for whatever they like.

Such patents are valid in USA, but not in EU. Well, here in EU I can do anything I want to the hardware I've bought (a propos C100/C300/C500/1D ML port - it would be safe from lawsuit). The rest is business evaluation, what's worth more: to have nice feature, to pay for license, or ship per-country firmware.

Datadogie

If Canon payed the ML devs they would then charge extra for the camera. Likely double the sale price.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

xNiNELiVES

Lol what do you guys think about that, double the price!

RenatoPhoto

My 2 cents:  If Canon would have patented and implemented innovative code like ML, there would be no competition.  In the lack of meaningful competition the prices would go up!

See their marketing department: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5603.msg38949#msg38949

larrycafe

haha, who knows? there could be some ML contributor coming from Canon  :P

gotar

Quote from: larrycafe on September 17, 2013, 09:00:21 AM
haha, who knows? there could be some ML contributor coming from Canon  :P

You might laugh, but such things happens - there is alternate firmware for Ferguson DVB-S receivers (sharing, emu etc.) originating from the same source, as original firmware (you can find additional code in there, simply disabled), somwhere deep in Hong Kong.