A couple of stupid questions

Started by condra, September 15, 2013, 12:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

condra

I have a couple of silly questions. Thank you if anyone can reply with an answer!

(5d2)

• ML is recording ".raw" file but also ".thm" and ".mov" ... Is this the way it should be?
  • What setting is best in "LV func. setting"? = "disable/stills only/stills+movie
  • Is it possible to open a ".raw" file directly in something like Final Cut, without having the convert to DNGs?

sorry if any of that is stupid. thanks.

mageye

1.)

I think you must be recording H.264 video (standard *.mov file)  at the same time as the *.RAW file.

Or maybe you just recorded some video onto the card at a different time?

The *.thm file is basically a JPEG image. It's associated with the *.mov files and acts as a thumbnail for your *.mov files.

The *.mov and *.thm are created by normal Canon (H.264) video recording.

You can set the button that triggers the RAW recording if that's conflicting? (triggering both H.264 and RAW at the same time?)

You obviously don't want to record both at once as that would be counter productive in recording RAW

2.)

Not sure about that? I can't remember but I think I have mine set to Stills+movie. I'm not sure that's optimal or that it even matters?

3.)

NO!!!

Well yes actually! ;D Ginger HDR allows you to load them in direct to After Effects. But (IMHO) it is far from ideal for dealing with them. Although it's fine to use as a way of quickly previewing them. (note that that's just my opinion ;))

You don't say what build you are using?. Are you using the latest nightly build?
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

condra

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Yes I figured out 1 and 2. Once I changed the "LV Func Setting" to Stills+Movie (movie display), the RAW recording started working properly.

I'm using the most recent nightly build. It seems to be the best so far.