Am I even getting close?

Started by condra, September 14, 2013, 04:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

condra

(5d2 / OSX / Transcend 16gb 1000x)

Hey all.

So I just found out about the ML Raw Video feature today and decided to investigate.
That was 8 hours ago. I feel like I've fallen down a rabbit hole. There is a lot to take in.  :o

PLEASE could you advise me, am I going in the right direction?
Please correct or by all means, chastise any of my assumptions below...

Here's what I think I know so far:

• Magic Lantern is a free, third party firmware "sidekick" which ads functionality to various Canon cameras.
  • ML is in ongoing development. New features get more refined and straightforward over time (I hope so)
  • With Magic Lantern on my 5d2 I can shoot Raw Video.
  • Raw Video requires large file sizes but will allow me more dynamic range, greater control over colour/exposure/sharpness etc, just like when shooting stills and using ACR.
  • Faster cards are recommended. CF cards tend to be faster than SD. 1000x UDMA cards are good.
  • When recording RAW video, eventually it will mess up, so recording smaller dimensions such as 1600x900 buys you time
  • Certain settings can be applied in both Canon menu and ML menu to optimize performance (????)
  • The video file will be saved as a ".RAW"
  • Video editors such as Final Cut and Premier cannot open RAW video files. They must first be opened/adjusted in Camera Raw, just like with shooting RAW still photos (????)
  • On a mac I can use something like "RAW2DNG" to convert my .RAW file to a series of individual frames, dng files.
  • dng files are different from cinema.dng files (i think?)
  • dng files can be compiled into an editable format such as .mov by first opening them in Adobe Camera Raw, making adjustments, then exporting as TIFF, then compiling them with Quicktime (?????? there must be a quicker way of doing this????)
  • DiVinci Resolve can be used to umm.. open dng files and convert them to .mov?? (not sure)

Am I getting there?

I managed to get ML installed, and shoot some video at 1600x900, but converting the RAW file into something I can work with in Final Cut is my main stumbling block right now.

THANKS for any tips!

feureau

Yep, you're good to go. Now go out there, shoot, process RAW, edit, and see what you got.

reddeercity

Hello  :)
You got a good start, 
I process my raw file on my PC but i Edit on Final Cut Pro X
I have been working on a CDNG Native workflow for FCPX.
It seams that FCPX can read cdng's but not dng's  ???
on apple support page there is no mention of this .
So i edit the image sequence natively no proxy.
I just finish editing a short Tutorial on using Cdng converter
But on a windows machine, i think there is also a Mac version
i hope this will help  ;)

a1ex

Dumb question: why do you need to quote a huge post? This makes the thread very difficult to read.

reddeercity

Quote from: a1ex on September 14, 2013, 09:52:00 AM
Dumb question: why do you need to quote a huge post? This makes the thread very difficult to read.
Ok i see your point

condra

Thanks for the reply. Still finding the end of the process a bit confusing.

I wonder if ML will come up with a different output format or if editors such as Final Cut will eventually give better support for files such as .raw

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

condra

Thanks for the link g3gg0 but it seems you still need to convert the new MLV format to RAW, and then convert the RAW to DNG files.

I was hoping we might eventually be able to record to one file, which we can open and adjust directly in After Effects /  Final Cut  etc

Seems like there is something about RAW video that I don't fully understand.

reddeercity

Quote from: condra on September 14, 2013, 11:44:37 PM
Thanks for the link g3gg0 but it seems you still need to convert the new MLV format to RAW, and then convert the RAW to DNG files.

I was hoping we might eventually be able to record to one file, which we can open and adjust directly in After Effects /  Final Cut  etc

Seems like there is something about RAW video that I don't fully understand.
just hang in there i'm in the process  of making a FCPX tutorial
with the cdng's and how to edit , Grade all in FCPX without leaving the app. ;)

g3gg0

Quote from: condra on September 14, 2013, 11:44:37 PM

nope, http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7802.0
conversion from mlv to dng, maybe cinemadng follows somewhen later.

there is no other standardized format for raw video yet, so just opening in PP tools isnt that simple.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

condra

Thanks both of you. I'm getting there... :)

condra

OK I am making progress.

Had to set LV Func. Setting to "Stills+Movie" / "Movie Display"  ....

This could be a stumbling block for other people I suspect.

a1ex

Quote from: condra on September 15, 2013, 02:40:56 AM
Had to set LV Func. Setting to "Stills+Movie" / "Movie Display"  ....

This could be a stumbling block for other people I suspect.

Only for those who don't read the user guide or don't know how to record regular video on 5D2.

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#movie_mode