NEW SanDisk CF Cards 2.0 450MB/s Announced

Started by KMA_WWC, September 13, 2013, 09:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KMA_WWC

So, SanDisk just announced the new generation of CF cards today at IBC with the announcement of Arri Amira, which will be using CF cards to record prores up to 200fps. CF cards will not be exclusive to Arri (I can say even more, soon there will be at least one more camera/upgrade announced that will use same CF cards. That's all).

Here is the link for more detailed info: http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/CFastPRO/

Now the question. Will ML users benefit from those speeds? No! ML users won't be able to use all 350MB/s speed, simply because cameras do not support such speed. At the same time though, I'm really curious whether it would be possible to get at least 100-120MB/s on 5DIII. Even though I still think its limited to 95-100Mb/s, I still have a little bit of hope, that maybe these cards could go up to at least 120MB/s (I'm not even talking about 160MB/s that the camera supports on the papers).

What do you think guys?
Canon 5D Mark III

Audionut

I tried a crystal ball.  But it reckons we will need a card to test before knowing what the performance is!   :o

PressureFM

No shipping camera support CFast to begin with.

Even though they share the same form factor, they are in fact not compatible.

KMA_WWC

Quote from: PressureFM on September 13, 2013, 11:20:04 PM
No shipping camera support CFast to begin with.

Even though they share the same form factor, they are in fact not compatible.

Yep! It could have a completely different protocol to begin with, which may or may not be compatible with the current generation.
Canon 5D Mark III

phalynx

PRessure is right.  They are based on SATA, not IDE.  They will not work in Canon cameras.