Custom picture style for on-set RAW monitoring? Color bars calibration info

Started by superegophobia, September 03, 2013, 10:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superegophobia

Short version... Has anyone found an accurate (or better yet custom) picture style for on-set monitoring that mimics the default raw settings in Adobe's Camera Raw import?

Long version... I was able to calibrate my SmallHD AC7 monitor to color bars on the 5D mk3 (see bottom for the process if anyone's interested). However I noticed when I pull in the raw files they're usually darker/different than what I was expecting compared to the calibrated monitor on-set.

At first I was like "no problem, just boost the exposure, it's raw right?" But doing so introduces more noise since I found out that unlike the BMCC, Canon's raw ISO is 'analogue' rather than 'digital'. I tested this by setting a low ISO in camera as well as a high ISO, then boosting the raw exposure of the low ISO to visually match the look of the high. It was substantially noiser.
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10892

I read in another thread to try the 'landscape' picture style to get a closer on-set look, and I'll do some tests later using that, but was wondering if anyone knew of a custom picture style made specifically for ML Raw recording. I'd like to approximate the default look when bringing it into After Effect's Camera Raw import settings with the on-set monitor as close as possible.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5867.0

Getting bars on the camera:
Basically I did what they said in the first vimeo link (take a picture in-camera of black, place the color bars that I got from the second link, into that .jpg, scale up, flatten, save), and then calibrate brightness and other settings following the third link. I used the .png that was IRE 0, (link toward bottom), instead of 7.5 since for my uses most stuff is either film or web.

http://vimeo.com/21501415
http://accad.osu.edu/~aprice/courses/752/blacklevel.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6O7U6H0H38

bnvm

Picture styles do not affect raw video the stream is captured before picture styles are applied, I suppose it would be possible to create a picture style that makes the LV look like the raw, probably neutral would be a good place to start, I have not aware of anything around like what you are looking for.

As for the differences in intensity, I am not sure what you were shooting at but not all ISO settings affect raw video. Apparently some of the ISO's are just a digital gain applied to the image just like adjusting the exposure in post and none of those ISO actually affect raw video.

ptaylor999

Instead of offering an answer, or opinion, I'd like to ask a question:

How are you monitoring while shooting RAW on the 5D3. I have not tried this yet only because everything I hear points to the HDMI out on Canon version 1.1.3 firmware to be UnClean, and unusable for monitoring?

My main purpose for monitoring would be to record, at whatever quality, simply for playback (checking framing and performance), but just being able to monitor would be nice too.

So, how are you accomplishing this?

I'd love to know!

Thanks!

reddeercity

I know you are talking about the 5D3 but when i monitor
I use the Landscape Picture Style  to monitor on my 5D2.
I think its the closes to raw, and when i Capture to my Ninja hdmi recorder
The Image is Very Close if not right on in some cases, you just don't have the dynamic range of raw
and its 8bit output. Also the picture style is burned in to the hdmi stream
I make a short video show this,

The Stream is good for backup.
I hope this helps  :)

Kharak

The analog ISO's are 200, 400, 800, 1600 and 3200 (maybe 100, not sure). Theses are the only ones you get in RAW. All other ISO's between or higher than those are digital and will not affect the RAW file.

I use Neutral and set sharpness to max 7+. For extra focus peaking with Digic. Sharpness does not affect RAW files either.

once you go raw you never go back

superegophobia

Quote from: Kharak on October 23, 2013, 01:56:53 PM
The analog ISO's are 200, 400, 800, 1600 and 3200 (maybe 100, not sure). Theses are the only ones you get in RAW. All other ISO's between or higher than those are digital and will not affect the RAW file.

I use Neutral and set sharpness to max 7+. For extra focus peaking with Digic. Sharpness does not affect RAW files either.
Made some progress! I set it to Landscape picture style and recorded both RAW and .h264 at ISO 400, 800, and 1000. I believe you are correct that using ISO's other than the native ones you mentioned will result is a larger exposure shift between live view/h264 and the RAW file. My ISO 1000 looked more underexposed than the 400 or 800. However with that said, both the 400 and 800 were still underexposed by more than I'd want compared to what the Live View/Monitor show.

So I made a custom picture style in Canon Picture Style Editor software using the Landscape as a starting point. I then adjusted a midpoint on the curve to Input 130, Output 115 and Color Saturation -1. Saved it out, loaded on camera and recorded both an h.264 and RAW comparing both the landscape picture style and this new custom one. The curve adjustment worked so it looked darker in Live View and closer to what the RAW recorded (using default values in After Effects). I'd still need to play with the saturation/green/red hue as those weren't a perfect match yet but at least from a exposure standpoint I feel more confident in this adjusted picture style than any of the stock ones.

If anyone else has dialed this in better I'd be curious to know what values you're using. Oh and BTW the 'Brightness' in the 'Preliminary adjustment' doesn't get embedded in the picture style. I tried that first and Curves is what actually works.