Mark III raw video lost?

Started by joegorges, September 12, 2013, 07:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegorges

Hey guys,

I have a mark III with a Komputerbay 64gb card, and recently I did two shoots on two different days. I recorded a full card on the first day, transferred it, and formatted the card in camera.

The second day, I shot a ton of stuff, and filled the card again. I transferred the card, but the footage transferred was that of the first days shooting. I have no idea what is going on...but one thing I am sure of is that I was recording new clips the second day. I watched some of the clips I was shooting in camera (in the menu replay), and they were recording fine. Also, when the card get's full, it beeps and gives you an error message...I didn't have that all day until it was full.

This is extremely weird, and I don't know what I'm even looking for here. Anyone else experience something like this?

Midphase

Let us know what you did wrong when you figure it out. Sounds like user error.   ;D

(ok, that's a bit mean....but I honestly can't think of anything that would cause that. Did you re-format the card for the second day?)

joegorges

"I recorded a full card on the first day, transferred it, and formatted the card in camera."

Yes, like I said, I formatted the card. And like I said, it wouldn't let me record if I didn't (the card was completely full from the previous shooting). I also watched clips that I recorded, but literally zero of them are on the card when I transfer. It sounds unbelievable, and honestly it really is.

I wish I could pinpoint it and say it was user error (then I could know what not to do lol).

Midphase

...here's a theory:

What if the camera defaulted back to recording on the SD card instead of the CF card? Is it possible that your footage lives on the SD card instead of the CF card you thought you were recording to? This would totally make sense, assuming of course that you have 2 cards in the camera at the same time. I don't think the CF card would be able to record at a high enough data rate, unless you had enabled Skip Frames in which case it would keep on going and grab what it can grab.