Bricked a brand new Komputerbay 32GB 1050x CF card.

Started by jonny2graham, September 12, 2013, 12:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonny2graham

Hey guys, I have a bricked CF card that needs help :/

Canon 5dmkii with v2.1.2 firmware
Komputerbay 32GB 1050x UMDA 7 (brand new with v2.3 + RAW_REC (Sept 10th) loaded after I formatted the fresh card with the 5dmkii)

Ran the ML 1GB (5mins) benchmark test straight away.
Camera runs test and then displays 'Card not formatted, format card with this camera.' and won't format ('Cannot format card. Change card.')

Card is discoverable on both Mac and PC but files on card can't be opened/deleted and card can't be formatted
Card contains nothing else except the ML firmware I loaded and the 1GB temp file from the benchmark test and a ~1.TRA file in the root directory
Card read speeds are drastically slower (1-3mins) on simple functions such as opening card/opening a folder in the card/opening permissions properties/loading format command

Essentially the brand new card is a brick. Any help?

Andy600

I had the same thing with a 1000x KB card. Sending it back for a replacement was the only option unfortunately.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Midphase

Lucky you that it happened this fast! Just send it back and get a replacement, should be ridiculously easy through either Amazon or KB directly.

jonny2graham

Yea I'm sending it back for a full refund. Getting the Lexar 1000x instead. Can't afford to depend on unreliable hardware.

hirumhorkweller

Yeah, same thing happened to me and I just got mine today  :'(

sleepinghouse

QuoteEssentially the brand new card is a brick. Any help?

Damn. I was just about to order the 32gb 1050x.
Has this happened to anyone with the KB 64gb?
5d mkii  ||  canon 50 f/1.4  ||  hexanon 40 f/1.8  ||  tokina 20-35 f/2.8  ||  zenitar 16 f/2.8  ||

Nang

I too had the same thing happened to me, but on 64gb 1000x a few weeks back. I was shooting an event when it occurred. Luckily for me it happened early into the shooting so only a small portion of the shots were wasted. I returned and got another.... so far so good (cross fingers).

Like everyone has mentioned, return and either risk on another or get a Lexar. Call me an idiot, but I'm taking another risk with Komputerbay. I did 2 gigs so far (one shooting with raw and another h.264 regular format). It's been holding up good thus far.

Good luck to you
Portfolio: somnang.4ormat.com | Video: https://vimeo.com/somnang
Prime: Olympus Zuiko OM 24mm f/2.8 | Rokinon Cine 85mm T/1.5 | Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Helios 44-2 58mm f/2.0 | Jupiter 37A 135mm f/3.5
Zoom: Meteor 5-1 17-69mm f/1.9, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, Tamron 24-70mm Di VC f/2.

sleepinghouse

Nang, any experience with Komputerbay 32gb 1000X's? I just bought one. If it fails, I would just keep sending it back until I got one that worked. But I am moving to South Korea next week so fingers crossed it works.
5d mkii  ||  canon 50 f/1.4  ||  hexanon 40 f/1.8  ||  tokina 20-35 f/2.8  ||  zenitar 16 f/2.8  ||