550d/t2i raw footage squashed

Started by timmartin-harvey, September 10, 2013, 08:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmartin-harvey

i dont know if im doing something wrong  but after watching all videos on youtube and copying precisely what they have done, i am still encountering the same problem.
when i record in raw the image is always squashed vertically/ stretched horizontally,
i may have the wrong aspect ratio but when trying to change it to match a standard eg 1280x720 or 16:9
i end up with the same footage i would get if it was shot properly but squashed down,
how to i fix this?
Thanks
Tim

Rewind

Check your settings in canon menu. If Movie rec.size is set to 1280x720, then you'll get this 'squashed'  image. This is how higher frame rates achieved. Try use one of the 1080p and you'll be alright )

timmartin-harvey

that worked great thank you one last thing,
ive done that and my resulting footage is a cropped zoom,
how do i get full frame but lower resolution?
thanks
tim

maxotics

timmartin-harvey.  When you're shooting normally, most resolutions need to be stretched to fit into a normal aspect ratio.  It will say at the bottom of the resolution menu, stretch at 1.6 to go into 16:9, for example.  So what I do, in Vegas Studio, probably the same for other NLEs, is in "pan/crop" I select 'no' for keep aspect ratio, in that way, it will fill to the aspect of my editor settings, usually 16:9. 

However, you can shoot in "crop mode" at 1280x720 that will give you true 16:9 aspect.  The reason you didn't get that is you were shooting in normal mode.  I don't have your camera, but you want to select crop mode before you shoot.  Crop mode is not desirable, usually, because it increases you effective focal length, depending on camera 3x or 5x.  The good thing is that, because it shoots the center of the sensor, without line skipping, you get virtually no moire.

Put another way, shoot almost any mode in normal mood and risk getting moire.  Shoot in crop mode and get no moire, but higher focal lengths.

timmartin-harvey

where is crop mode in the ml settings?
thanks
tim

maxotics

On the 50D, you have to press the magnifying glass button, top right.  Took me a while to figure that out!  Also, you want to change the "preview" mode to "ML Gray", otherwise it shows live-view with too much zoom.  in EOS-M it's in ML menu. 

timmartin-harvey

magic lantern crashes when i press the magnifying glass but i think ive got it now guys thanks for all your help!

Rewind

Quote from: timmartin-harvey on September 10, 2013, 08:44:48 PM
magic lantern crashes when i press the magnifying glass but i think ive got it now guys thanks for all your help!
550d crashes at 10x zoom. Turn it off in ML menu (prefs - live view zoom tweaks)

internetsurfer

Quote from: Rewind on September 10, 2013, 08:57:20 PM
550d crashes at 10x zoom. Turn it off in ML menu (prefs - live view zoom tweaks)
Same issue on my 550d. But raw recording works nice in the smaller resolution. Now im dealing with 960x540 to get the best results.