ML for 50D Question.

Started by Doyle4, September 10, 2013, 05:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doyle4

Hi there,

Bought a 2nd hand 50D today and was wanting to install ML onto with RAW and Dual Iso,
Iv spotted theres a few different builds from couple o devs, what are people using please and if possible some links? iv clicked on the posts for 50D and 40D but can only see builds from July.

Any help will be great thanks.

Doyle

maxotics

Good question!  I hope you get an answer.   I can never get a good answer to which builds are good for what in video RAW.  This is the wild West of ML.  For something to start with, I have Andy's august build on my 50D.  Works well!

https://bitbucket.org/andy600/andy50d/downloads

1% seems to be very active with the dual-ISO stuff, I have his build on my EOS-M. 

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads

Doyle4

Thanks for the reply :)

Whats the difference with Aug 18th Build by Andy and the Tragic Lantern 2.0 Aug 27th?if you know that is :)

Also i have cr2hdr for my mkii by a.d for mac, will this work for the 50d as well? spotted a 50d version but its windows.

Spotted this: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/tl50d/downloads/Tragic_Lantern_50D109-Andy600.Build.2013Sep08.zip

Will try this one thanks :)

maxotics

I wish there was some sort of explanation about this.  From what I can piece together, the devs don't spend any time writing any kind of documentation.  Instead, they'll choose to work on some feature, let's say dual-ISO, and start coding it.  They explain what they're doing in the commits on their builds.  So I think you basically have to read their commits, compile the code (if they haven't yet), or use a build after they say they've finished something.   I believe the cr2hdr needs to work with the camera build that supports HDR.  Or, whoever is working on it, you have to follow both sources, the camera and cr2hdr utility builds.  Sorry if I'm just making this more confusing!

Doyle4

All good friend, following along fine.

Basically im stuck atm for Dual Iso as i cant see a mac compiled version, iv put it across on the 50D and 40D thread.

Ill try Andys 8th Sept build as i read the 27th Aug was stable and he's just added .mlv to it which again doesn't bother me as im mac and you need windows to convert that.

maxotics

I believe you just turn off the mlv module in the camera if you don't want it to write to MLV (that is, if you want it to write to .RAW).  I think someone said that.

Doyle4

Cheers :)

Also a.d's cr2hdr mac version works for 50D :)

Andy600

I compile a fork of 1%'s Tragic Lantern 6D code only for the 50D and include a fresh raw2dng.exe and cr2hdr.exe in the download.

As for details, I try to include a list of major additions, fixes and new features when I post a new build to download. If you click on my username then 'show posts' you'll see any new builds in bold text to save you having to scroll through the huge 50D thread.

The latest build is usually the best spec'd but stability can only be proven by users actually using it and reporting bugs.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Doyle4

@Andy600

Thanks for reply and info, iv installed the 8th september version and all seems good thanks.

Im a mac user but noticed cr2hdr detected 50D images, for the RAW conversion i tested rawmagic and raw2dng (mac version which says for mkii - i also own a mkii) and the footage converted, only thing i noticed was rawmagic had a light cast of pink so im hoping im safe to use raw2dng that a.d has built for mac users.

Thanks again.