Playing Games on your Canon DSLR :D

Started by Semiconductor, September 10, 2013, 01:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Semiconductor

I recently found a minigame and I am interested whether anyone wants to make further games! I know this has nothing to do with the actual meaning of Magic Lantern but hey, I am mean you can now play actually minigames on your dslr! Thats epic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKWnlBNtszE&feature=youtube_gdata

imak

Will it play uncharted 3?  :)

Seriously,  that's a rubbish way to drain your battery .

ItsMeLenny

Semiconductor

Quote from: imak on September 10, 2013, 11:25:04 AM
Will it play uncharted 3?  :)

Seriously,  that's a rubbish way to drain your battery .

Of course its a good way to drain your battery, far better than other functions hehe ;)

imak

600duser

Can it play Crysis ?

Eventually all non trivial computing devices will be able to run windows XP :-p

Hardware & Software unification in inevitable in a world of networked computational devices....and no one will care whose name is on the tin....that 'it works' is all that is truly important.

The future is probably wintel everywhere....when your too big to screw up you stop becoming a monopoly and become a slave to wider society. I look forward to seeing the start bar 'everywhere' and i don't care whose name is on the tin.

@ OP, Love the VID

Pong we meet again, you've been in my life so long.....since 1972 to be exact....a game you can play on your TV, wow !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHsYjWm8XSI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pong

a+nother excuse for chimping on the bus

This ALL highlights the fact that DSLR's are 40 years behind where they should be.....yes really !

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: 600duser on October 13, 2013, 04:25:32 AM
Eventually all non trivial computing devices will be able to run windows XP :-p

Not even machines built to run windows XP can run windows XP.

I'm starting to think you're a bit mad in the head 600duser :P

600duser

Win XP is STILL the second most common desktop OS , it solved most people problems most of the time so its kind of a benchmark product & represents a big landmark in computing and world history....hence the can it play Crysis / can it run windows XP connotation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

In the future all computer devices of note will be able to run a 'full fat' operating system because they will have 'full fat architecture' Convergence due to the 'network effect' and the near universal desire for plug and play utility.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect

The qwertyuiop keyboard and the English language itself are living working examples of this. Neither are efficient as can be yet their 'utility' function is high enough that the 'network effect'  swiftly culls the diversity that naturally occurs in the early stages of ecosystem development.

The drive for universal connectivity and in camera processing will see cameras become more & more like computers over the coming decades.  Magic Lantern and the Game in the OP are among the first tangible signs that this is happening to cameras.  I can see touch screen cameras and touch screen tablets being happy marriage partners for most camera enthusiasts and pros.  It would be very handy to be able to plug your camera into the nearest monitor and have a full fat computer experience at your finger tips. Ok it probably wont be win xp touch ( you never know )  but it will be a full fat operating system that has gone on a healthy diet.

I don't think games for cameras will be huge driver  but photography needs will drive graphics performance and high definition screens so im sure there will be a wealth of games for cameras that follow swiftly in the heels of utility for snappers. Camera screens may well become detachable and wireless. They may well become 'computer tablets' or 'computer phones' in their own right.  You might own half a dozen cameras but only have one or two portable, dockable camera brains.  This would make sense on a practical and economic level.

The install base for win XP is so large that you cannot rule out SP4 or Touch for XP, there are other dev communities out there working on this.  Outside the US and Western Europe XP still has a dominant or very large market share in many countries.  XP on your digital camera is still a distinct possibility once cameras switch to x86 architecture.  Im not sure that ARM & Android climbing up the computational ladder can stop getting squashed by Wintel climbing down the computational ladder. There are Intel CPU's inside most Apple computers and they are starting to Tablets and smartphones too.  Cameras being behind the times probably and low on computing power probably the last consumer devices to get touched by Wintel

If your a gamer and you like some of the older games, chances are you may still being XP as it had better backward compatibility, it being so old :-p

Im sure Android will be the first OS invasion to sweep across cameraland. Windows something may well be the second and last invasion of camera land. Both these architectures and ecosystems have a huge legacy and back catalog of games. Pacaman, Doom & Angry birds cant be too far away from yer tilt n swivel screen...bring on the fun !

Snappers of the future will probably be able to take a panorama of a scene or cityscape and turn it into a game map
and do so at the  click of a button. Now there's an idea thats not so mad !...I wonder if ML 9.0 will support that ?

There are those who code and those who click and those who figure out the future long before it arrives