Adobe CC updates that should make you guys happy

Started by DFM, September 09, 2013, 09:33:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFM

Hi - been a while since I posted here, but I guess you may be just slightly interested in what's about to happen to Adobe Media Encoder and Premiere Pro.

CinemaDNG has been a little on the back burner at Adobe for a while now, so it's frustrating pulling the DNG frames from ML raw video into some of the applications (After Effects is hardly the best choice for quick transcodes and fast edits!). With the arrival of SpeedGrade there was a new drive to support digital cinema workflows, and today I can finally announce that in the free updates to CC due to drop mid-October, Premiere Pro and Adobe Media Encoder will be able to read CinemaDNG frame sequences natively. Media Encoder CC will be able to transcode uncompressed CinemaDNG sequences to any format you want with full hardware acceleration, plus the ability to apply Lumetri color grading and BITC to the footage as you go - no longer any need to open After Effects or Premiere Pro to turn a DNG frame sequence into a video file. Premiere Pro will also be able to open CinemaDNG frame sequences.

I know it's not exactly support for MLV, but I'm still pushing for that  ;)

There's a mountain of other improvements, full info at http://acrobatninja.com/2013/09/adobe-new-video-features.html

Canon eos m

Couldn't be better news. I just purchased the CC on monthly subscription today!
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

swinxx

hi great news.
when will it be available? release date?

greets. sw

DFM

The updates will push to CC subscribers mid-October. I can't give the exact date as it's still in flux.

chmee

fantastic - adobe has reacted on the actual changes - thats great.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

SDX

We highly appreciate the effort Adobe does. This sounds really good, thanks for letting us know.

vikado

cs5.5 had a cinemaDNG importer plugin.
tried it on both cs6 and 5.5.
CDNG sequences i imported did not playback in realtime and that's without any effects layers.
so i wont be excited until the update is out and tested.
here's hoping this update will do a better job of crunching CDNG sequences.
it would be of great benefit.  ;D

2600k @ 4.9ghz
32GB 1600mhz ram.
5d2 user

chmee

I hardly believe, that "this" alpha-beta-importer would be awaken again. So, beside CDNG there are some more rawlike-Codecs supported. Yes, i think, its a better one :D

regards chmee

vikado

Quote from: chmee on September 09, 2013, 11:21:04 PM
I hardly believe, that "this" alpha-beta-importer would be awaken again. So, beside CDNG there are some more rawlike-Codecs supported. Yes, i think, its a better one :D

regards chmee

hi chmee, off-topic question, have you thought about adding options to your raw2cndg for normal CDNG, Lossless, and Lossy?
i like your utility the best.
thanks!
5d2 user

chmee

[ot] after deciding to invest the small amount of time i got actually into mlv - but multithreading and compression are on the list for raw2cdng, yes. after that, i hope, i have written this mlv-converter[/ot]

regards

vikado

wonderful!
you rock, brother!
keep up the great work!
5d2 user

Canon eos m

Quote from: chmee on September 09, 2013, 11:30:49 PM
[ot] after deciding to invest the small amount of time i got actually into mlv - but multithreading and compression are on the list for raw2cdng, yes. after that, i hope, i have written this mlv-converter[/ot]

regards

Hi Chmee: Is there a mlv2cdng convertor yet?
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

chmee

not from my side yet - i started to cope with the new format, i want to solve the convertion in a elegant way. the first approaches were little bit chaotic, because of the random order of the blocks.

actual there is the reference implementation (mlv to raw) and one converter written by gnarr
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7802.0

regards chmee

iunknown

DFM,
Will you be able to open dng files from premier and have access to adobe camera raw to grade?  Or would you still need to take them into after effects?

DFM

Unlike with a regular image sequence, a CinemaDNG sequence is "undeveloped" so its properties must still be defined by the ACR engine and you can adjust it however you want. Remember that the timeline in Premiere Pro is always native 32-bit floating point so a luma curve effect in Pr would have the identical result as a tone curve in ACR. Can't show you the workflow yet, it's not finished  ;)

Another thing for RAW shooters on non-5D bodies who need to enlarge their frames to HD is detail-preserving upscale in AE: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-at-ibc-2013/after-effects-cc-detailpreserving-upscale/

aptass

In the update a dynamic link will be provided between speedgrade and premiere so grading can be an ongoing process like editing clips in AE today linked in premiere.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-at-ibc-2013/adobe-creative-cloud-october-2013-release-whats-new-in-video/

g3gg0

Quote from: chmee on September 10, 2013, 10:13:45 AM
not from my side yet - i started to cope with the new format, i want to solve the convertion in a elegant way. the first approaches were little bit chaotic, because of the random order of the blocks.

just use the .idx files mlv_dump can create for you.
or just copy-paste the mlv code that creates an .idx.

so you dont have random order and you dont even have to calculate the next blocks' position, but just use the list of offsets and files where you have to read from.

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

chmee

@g3gg0 :D yeah thanks, but right now i had no time to get in more touch with the mlv-thing - in just about 3 weeks i'm thru the jobs :) and then..

dp_ice

Beyond excited for these updates! Can't wait to see what else Adobe will have in store!

jemabaris

Does anyone know when the update is actually gonna be released?

arrinkiiii

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: vikado on September 09, 2013, 11:16:29 PM
cs5.5 had a cinemaDNG importer plugin.
tried it on both cs6 and 5.5.
CDNG sequences i imported did not playback in realtime and that's without any effects layers.
so i wont be excited until the update is out and tested.
here's hoping this update will do a better job of crunching CDNG sequences.
it would be of great benefit.  ;D

2600k @ 4.9ghz
32GB 1600mhz ram.

Is that rig of yours under water?

vikado

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on September 24, 2013, 03:46:25 AM
Is that rig of yours under water?

i read somewhere that certain stock of the 2600k die can reach 4.8-4.9ghz. unfortunately its only a small portion of that stock.
iirc, there are numbers on the die itself to tell if you can reach 4.8+ghz.
im using a Thermalright Silver Arrow cooler.
5d2 user

painya

Hmnnn, I wonder if the update is limited to just Cinema DNG's, or would include DNG's.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

dude

So it will only be aviable to the cloud members??
How can i get it if i am not in the cloud? thought like a normal update... Looks like it would only be aviable for cc, i am using cs6, any ideas?