Problems with XMP deflickering

Started by timdit, September 07, 2013, 09:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timdit

Longtime lurker, first time poster here...

Camera - 600D

I've been wanting to try out some timelapse shots and finally got my tripod, so I was testing to give it a go but ran into a few problems with the XMP files.

I had been using the last nightly from 1% for raw video on 600D, which I have been using for a while now with no problems.  I got everything set up and shot some tests, but Adobe Camera Raw would not recongize the .XMP files created by the camera.  After some reading it seems like the issues were fixed but after my nightly.

So I downloaded the latest nightly and copied the .bin file and the ML folder over to my card.  Got everything running, but no XMP files were created by the camera.  I tried switching to UFRAW but that didn't create any files either.  If I switch back to my older 1% maintained build, I get the XMP files again but no luck on ACR reading them.

I have made sure to select the deflicker settings as I had done before, and no dice.  I'm not sure what's happening here, I tried several different nightlies and no luck.  Any help would be appreciated.

Tim

a1ex

Looks like you are the only one who tried this on 600D during last month (or maybe last 2 months).

I'll remove this feature and replace it with a post tool.

timdit

So is that what changed then, it got changed from a post tool to a live type tool?

By post tool, you mean in camera post tool, correct?  Because the file generation was working at one point, just not in the correct format.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

Audionut

Quote from: timdit on September 08, 2013, 03:51:44 AM
By post tool, you mean in camera post tool, correct?

No.  a1ex wants to move it into a dedicated tool to be used in PP to process the results.  This way it can be used with any images (including Nikon).
I would imagine that it would be much easier to apply exposure ramps then also.

timdit

I'm cool with it working either way, although I would prefer to have a method that works without wine on Mac OSX.  Not sure if that's an option or not though.

Tim

timdit

So I've gotten this to work, after going back to the 1% compiled version from back when raw video wasn't in the normal nightlies, I've switched to UFRAW, gotten it installed in OSX through macports, and am running the batch through terminal manually.

I have some experience writing terminal script applications, and then making a simple user interface with Platypus, so if you can get UFRAW working again for 600D, I can make a small OSX program that will process and output JPEGs with camera-generated output.  Or if you can make a program to output the UFRAW files in mac in post (even in terminal) then I can make the interface for OSX users.

Tim

Doyle4

Sorry im a little confused on this, is xmp deflicker now embedded into the cr2's on 600d?

Thanks.

Doyle4

Found it

Support to XMP slidecar files as follows:

The XMP file need to be converted to UTF-8 format.

Open the images in ACR and the exposure will be automatically adjusted based on the information of the XMP file

Audionut

That's only to fix the older builds though, correct? 

The new (600D) builds do not output the xmp files?

Doyle4

timdit

A1ex, do you think we might see this as a post tool soon?  I've had good luck using UFRAW but I'm stuck on some older nightlies, I would love to move to newer versions if I could do the deflicker in post.

Tim

Danne

If you have adobe bridge you have the perfect posttool by using dmilligans script.
Search for script, bridge, should pop up

timdit

I tried the bridge script, and it ran, except photoshop did not seem to acknowledge the xmp  files, and there was still a ton of flicker as if I hadn't done anything. Maybe I missed a step, I will have to try again.