Picture Quality: Raw vs L

Started by tonybeccar, September 07, 2013, 05:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonybeccar

Hello!! I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.. I read it several times on the 7D thread and I never got a clean answer.. this is the thing:

I'm recording on a 5D3 in 50fps, everything is great!! Now, if I select image quality to RAW, I get 1600x??? continuous OK (i don't know the vertical height). BUT, if I select picture quality to L I can get almost 1080p, or 1080p sometimes continuous... what's the catch here? I downloaded the footage and the quality is still amazing.. of course it's the first time I use the 5D3.. we're shooting a music video.. and I need to go back in a few hours.. we rented the 5D so I almost didn't have any time to play with it..

Can someone please orientate me in this one?? What am I loosing? Is it MUCH big a difference??

If I shoot at 1600px horizontal I get a crop factor that I don't want really!!!

Thanks so much in advance!!!!
Cheers!

Juan.

dadinio13

you can't get 60 or 50 fps at 1080p, is not a problem of speed with your cf card it's the buffer of the 5D are full and that's normal it working like that.

you need to shoot cropped and then fit to comp in post to 1920*818 i guess.

Francis

To answer your question, no there is no drop in image quality for RAW video when you set stills quality to something other than RAW.

tonybeccar

Quote from: Francis on September 07, 2013, 06:40:14 PM
To answer your question, no there is no drop in image quality for RAW video when you set stills quality to something other than RAW.

Okay then.. there is no drop in quality, fantastic!!

And YES, I am shooting in 50fps 1920x508 and then stretching it by 1.61x CONTINUOUS in picture quality L. Once or twice it stopped but it says continuous OK.. maybe i'll select Drops allowed (i dont care if it drops 1 frame..). Will do more testing today on the shoot.. but at my home tests I get continuous..

Using a KomputerBay 128gb 1050x here.. ALSO: shooting at 2.35:1 ;)

Will report back if this comes back positive.
THANKS for the fast and great answer!!!

Juan