550D SilentPic DNG + Intervalometer -> Display off ?

Started by Aquillum, May 23, 2013, 07:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquillum

Hi !

I managed to get a very nice timelapse using
SilentPic = ON
Intervalometer = 1 pic every 3s / end after 500
after grading the DNG's

However the battery drained a lot, almost to zero,  I think cause the display was on for settings + actual timelapse
From Manual --> I tried the PowerSave  settings to turn LV off with DISP and with Sensor, but it stayed on all the time

Q: What settings to take to turn LV off during the timelapse (silent DNG) for battery saving (maybe wake up inbetween to check) ?

Thank you !

Aquillum

From what I've learned the DNG's are written from LV buffer so it has to stay on, it will turn off for JPG/CR2.

I followed Renatos and A1ex' advice for flicker free timelapse using ETTR.
The problem is, that these tutorials are for CR2 timelapse.

For a DNG timelapse, following these rules, we would need:

- XMP, UFRAW files also written for silent DNG's.
   I see that ETTR kicks in during timelapse, I hear the beep and see exposure changes and the DNG's are affected, thats OK !
   Maybe these exp. correction files could be written also for DNG's in future ?

- Some kind of Display dimming.
  As I told, LV mode is needed. But some dimming of the Display to about 5% during the timelapse would save battery.
  ML offers Display settings, but just Normal, High, very High. Could a very Low setting be possible ?

dreamwalker

Hi everyone! I'm new on this forum.
I use a 600D and I wanna try this silent pic method for timelapse videos to save shutter and mirror mechanism. My question is that does this way of taking pictures wear the sensor? I mean during silent picture mode the sensor is working all the time, and a timelapse can last for long hours. I can solve battery drainage but I'm afraid of sensor wear or overheat or else. 

Thanks for Answer, Tom