Kill help menu

Started by stevefal, September 07, 2013, 12:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevefal

I think the Help menu is mostly worthless and not likely a priority in the future. I'd rather see continued effort into overall usability, intuitive design and in-context assistance. For example, individual menu items could have Help sub-items (or INFO press) for in-depth information as needed.

Clean out the dead wood.
Steve Falcon

falkor

agreed...
and including the debug section to a point- .at least on the "don't click me!" (i can sse its usable for devs, but not stable releases)
but
i use the battery, shutter count, and show tasks (kinda like the 'top' command).

i recently tried the screenshot after 10sec, but all that did was beep quietly, and not (afaik) take a ss of my view.

also, agree on the help files, (which i would volunteer to help write too), as the info button does work (on my 60d, it brings up the dedicatd or highlighted item selected to a new screen) but then continues with all the man-pages in order.... i think that is good, but also could be better if it would scroll automatically after the initial page has been read, (as i don't like pushing the buttons on the 60d :( ... thats just me though

a1ex

The primary purpose for the help menu is to tell you the navigation keys (it's supposed to appear first time after install). Many people don't know about how to open submenus, how to enter the Junkie mode, or how to change any setting with LiveView visible underneath.

What about adding a small box with common keys on the "about" page that pops once per day? (could serve as a reminder)

Or "tip of the day" (selected randomly).

stevefal

How about a first-time use Tips page that always shows upon startup (and possibly trash), until disabled. It could then be turned ON again in Preferences, if desired.

QuoteMany people don't know about how to open submenus

Don't get me started.  ::)
Steve Falcon

a1ex

Yeah, I've still seen questions like "how do you change intervalometer duration"...

stevefal

Just press SET of course!  ::)

Intervalometer
        Enabled                     OFF
        Take a pic every         5s
        Start after                  3s
        Stop after                  Disabled
        Manual focus ramp     OFF

(and Q for quick ON/OFF!)
Steve Falcon

a1ex

No thanks; the modules tab was like that and I didn't like it.

stevefal

Whoops, missed the top toggle:

Intervalometer                   OFF
        Enabled                     OFF
        Take a pic every         5s
        Start after                  3s
        Stop after                  Disabled
        Manual focus ramp     OFF

The module tab was like what?
Steve Falcon

a1ex

Module: click SET, toggle autorun, go back. Choose next module, SET, SET, back.

Now: set/down/set/down/set/down.

Q is not the natural choice for this, as discussed previously.

stevefal

Hah, of course I remember..

If I could only get you to see that Q/down/Q/down/Q/down will be just fine after you adjust.

It will solve so...many...problems.

Anyway, <insert old arguments here>.
Steve Falcon