Thermal throttling profile

Started by gotar, September 06, 2013, 02:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gotar

Today morning after a few hours spend playing with ML (no real photo) I got the high temperature warning. It would be nice if the most power hungry features could turn themself off automatically in such conditions (I'm not sure which one, but probably waveform, vectoroscope, zebras other than fast, maybe entire LV, dimming LCD etc.) It would be even better, when implemented as low-power profile that comes with some rational presets (made by people who know what drains power - I do not) and could be entered manually (or automatically on low battery condition).

a1ex

First step: somebody needs to wait for a few hours so the high temperature warning appears (to find out how to detect it). Then run property spy. The warning is probably triggered by PROP_TEMP_STATUS.

You can also get away with the EFIC temperature, but you need to find at what value the warning appears.

Then check it on a few cameras to see if all of them handle it in the same way.

Code coverage will be bad (how likely is to get a overheating warning?) so you need to take some special care for testing (e.g. some dummy triggers).

gotar

Quote from: a1ex on September 06, 2013, 02:25:19 PM
First step: somebody needs to wait for a few hours so the high temperature warning appears (to find out how to detect it). Then run property spy.

I will do this next time.

QuoteYou can also get away with the EFIC temperature, but you need to find at what value the warning appears.

It's 50°C on 500D (in ML menu I got 49°C just after the warning disappeared).

The heat was entirely generated by body, I run on AC adapter in place of battery with calm ambient.