Porting ML to XSi (450D)

Started by rwl408, September 06, 2013, 06:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshako

Quote from: Ant123 on February 16, 2019, 08:36:28 AM

From 5D Classic thread:

Thanks Ant123. At last it worked for me. I got the solid blue light when i updated the firmware with ML-SETUP.FIR. Then i've deleted the .fir file from SDcard and then put it back. Now the ML menu appears when i press Delete key. Now its time to figure it out how it works, and it'll take time. For now intervalometer works fine. Thank you guys.

sliper

I also instal sucesfull MR on my old 450D. Now i cant figure it out is there any way to shoot video with this camera?

Ant123

Quote from: sliper on May 10, 2019, 12:12:24 AM
Now i cant figure it out is there any way to shoot video with this camera?

There is only one way which works at the moment.
Recording MJPEG video on SD-card is not ready yet. I'm not sure that this will be completed ...

xueyide703

Hey guys~

I successed installing the ML on my 450D which provided in the topic and i want to know is there any way to increase the ISO Value by using this ML firmware?
Thanks!

Kai123

Hello I am new at magic lantern. I'm interested in features for astrophotography. I own the good old EOS 450D.
It is possible to take dark frames without wearing the shutter mechanism with long time exposure. More than 15 sec ?
I have seen the silent mode feature but there is only a max exposure of 15sec possible.
Could this function also be included in the PTP so that the dark frame can be triggered remote via usb?
If possible, my sequence should look like this and be triggerable via PTP:
Dark frame, light frame ( normal picture ), dark frame, light frame, ....
exposure time is greater than 1 minute.

For a better understanding:
I would like to activate the Canon Long Exposure Noise Reduction but do not use it in the EOS but instead save the created dark frame to the SD. So I always get a light frame and a dark frame on SD. Is that possible?

Druchi

Hello to everyone!
First of all, sorry if my english is bad.. I'm spanish and I don't practice it so much..
I own a 450D and I'm interested in ML, but I have read the post and I have some doubts:
1- wich is the last file to download and install?
2- ML only is installed on SD card, or it modifies the firm?
3- Nowadays it works without bugs?

Thanks!

names_are_hard

Hi!

1 - I don't know.  But hopefully my answering will push this to the top and someone will notice and have an answer.
2 - ML runs from the card and is not permanently installed into firmware.  The installer does make a small change to firmware, this enables booting from cards.
3 - Magiclantern will never be bug free, it is software.  It works very reliably on some cameras, worse on others.  I don't know how good it is on 450D.

Ant123

There are no significant canges since reply#23
Runing ML GUI doesn't mean ML functionality.
So I think this topic should be removed from "Sticky Topics".

fb35523

Hi!

I'm new to ML but since I just activated it in my 450D, I figured I'd explain in some more detail how it's done and what's actually achieved with ML on the 450D.

Installing:

- Check your firmware in the camera. It should be 1.1.0. If not, you need to find this firmware and upgrade the camera to it. There are links to the firmware on this site.
- Format your SD card in the camera and select "Low level format". This is done in the camera's original menus. All files on the SD will be lost.
- Remove the SD card from the camera and insert it into a card reader in your computer.
- Find the most recent ML package for the 450D. As of now, it's this one: ML test build for 450D firmware 1.1.0. : https://bitbucket.org/Ant123/magic-lantern-40d/downloads/magiclantern-Nightly.2016Oct26.450D110.zip
- Unpack the contents of the ZIP file you just downloaded to the root of the SD card (keeping the directory structure intact of course).
- Also download this small firmware file: https://bitbucket.org/Ant123/magic-lantern-40d/downloads/ML450D110.fir
- Copy the .fir file to the SD card. It should be copied to the root directory of the card.
- Unmount/eject the SD card in your PC operating system properly before removing it so you don't lose any information on it.
- Insert the SD card into the camera and power the camera on
- To make the SD card bootable, you perform a firmware upgrade in the camera menus. The trick here is that the .fir file you put on the SD is not actually a firmware for the camera but rather just a program that makes the SD card bootable.
- During the "firmware upgrade" process, the camera will (very soon) light up the blue LED by the WB button on the back of the camera. This is the verification that the card was made bootable.
- You now need to remove the battery in order to restart the camera. Just off/on will not work. Don't panic - even if this is NOT how you abort a normal firmware upgrade, this is what you need to do in this case.
- If you decide to make your SD card not bootable anymore, just perform a "firmware upgrade" again. This time, the blue LED will blink slowly. This indicates that the SD card was reverted to its original non bootable state. Again, removing the battery afterwards is the only way.

Now, fire up the ol´cam and hit the trashcan button on the back of the camera. Now, you should see the ML menus.

You can remove the .fir file if you like as that's not part of ML. I keep it on my SD so I can revert the bootable state of the SD if I like.

If you´d like to have multiple SD cards with ML, just copy all files to that SD and insert it into the camera. Then perform the "firmware upgrade" with the .fir file on the SD card and restart the camera. Every SD that you want to run ML on needs to be bootable. You can have one ML activated SD for the camera and other SDs that are not. Whenever you start the camera with the ML activated SD, you will have ML menus, otherwise not.

This is what the SD cards looks like for me:

E:\>dir
  Volume in drive E is EOS_DIGITAL
2020-03-31  23:05    <DIR>          DCIM
2020-03-31  23:05    <DIR>          MISC
2016-10-26  22:57           260 704 autoexec.bin
2016-10-26  22:58    <DIR>          ML
2020-03-31  22:29             1 247 ML450D110.fir

So, you have ML in your 450D, what can you do with it? Not much at this time (and likely not anywhere in the near or even far future). ML is designed for other platforms than the 450D and seems difficult to port to the likes of the 450D. At this time, only the intervalometer function is supposed to work. It gives you the possibility tell the camera that instead of taking one picture, it should take a number of pictures (configurable) by either pushing the trigger button half way of fully, or just wait a few seconds after leaving the menu and then start taking pics. The interval between the pics is also configurable. That's it as far as I can see. If you need this function, ML is great. If not, why bother on a 450D?

I hope this helps someone that likes to try ML on the 450D.

/Fredrik

Walter Schulz

You missed the part about cam's bootflag. It's set during first ML installation and removed if proper ML removal is performed.
A cam with bootflag set will react slightly different than without and there may be unwanted side effects.
- A cam with bootflag set will access each (!) card during startup and check if card is bootable. If card is not bootable booting into plain Canon mode will happen. If a bootable card is found it will load autoexec.bin. If autoexec.bin cannot be found cam will get stuck and you have to remove battery.
- If cam with bootflag set is in powersave mode it will access card during wake. This will cause a delay. If you can't have this because timing is critical you have to prevent cam from going to sleep.
- Because of ML's accessing procedure a cam with bootflag set may cause troubles with some cards. Some older EyeFi cards are known to be incompatible with ML and such cards are not usable with bootflag set. In cams with CF-cards CF-to-SD adapters are known to cause troubles.

fb35523

Maybe I misunderstood the part with the boot flag. I was under the impression that the small .fir file was supposed to make the SD-card bootable (after performing a firmware upgrade in the camera menus) , not setting anything in the camera. Is it the camera that has some boot flag altered by the .fir file instead?

Galan

Anyone happen to have the 1.1.0 firmware? The Canon site doesn't have it any more.

cengell

Hello all, I have an XSi and wanted to try ML, I do have Canon FW 1.1.0, and so I did the steps that fb35523 listed and after removing the battery and putting it back into the camera I saw the RED led in the bottom right is on all the time. Not feeling good about this...

So I turned off the camera and removed the battery and put the same card back in same happend's, it's been 3 minuets or more same RED led is on. I turned off the power switch and then removed the battery and removed the card and put back the battery and turned on and dead not RED led no LCD and not working. Really not good.

Just now I powered off the camera and removed the battery and then removed the card and the body was back to normal no ML...Any Ideas PLEASE??

Thank you
Christopher

Ant123

Quote from: cengell on May 17, 2020, 12:05:46 AM
Any Ideas PLEASE??

It looks like your SD card is not bootable or don't contain ML files or incompatible with ML.

You can also try a newer build

Damiano

Good morning I'm a 450D canon owner. I was wondering if it is possible to install modules in this camera? I tried to install the helloworld module (this one : https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19232). I copied and pasted the .mo file in the sd(in the module folder) but the camera can't and see it.
Thank you
Damiano

Ant123

Quote from: Damiano on June 23, 2020, 01:04:57 PMI was wondering if it is possible to install modules in this camera?

It's possible if you have enough programming skills to develop(adapt) and recompile modules.

Most likely, most modules will not work on 450D because this port is slightly abandoned...

Damiano

Hi to everyone ,
Is it possible to use the feature "Dump image buffers" on the EOS 450D??
Thank you,
Damiano

Ant123

Quote from: Damiano on July 02, 2020, 11:35:06 AM
Is it possible to use the feature "Dump image buffers" on the EOS 450D??

Not yet.

Damiano

Hello, i'm trying to use this code in a module to save a dng file with the raw_info.buffer information but the dng file that it saves in the sd is always the same and is only 38.8kb
Is that a problem of the camera or am I doing something wrong?

void* buf = malloc(raw_info.frame_size);
            if (buf)
            {
                memcpy(buf, raw_info.buffer, raw_info.frame_size);
                char filename[50];
                get_numbered_file_name("bad%02d.dng", 99, filename, sizeof(filename));
                struct raw_info local_raw_info = raw_info;
                local_raw_info.buffer = buf;
                save_dng(filename, &local_raw_info);
                free(buf);
            }

Thank you,
Damiano

Ant123

The problem is that ML is not fully ported for 450D. Many functions are not yet implemented and therefore should not work properly.
Last year I was trying to implement "silent capture" module without success. I also stucked with raw_info.

heder

Inorder to use raw_info, you need config_raw_liveview supported and you need to enable RAW transfers.
... some text here ..

Damiano

Is config_raw_liveview supported on this camera??
Thank you,
Damiano

heder

I dont think it is implemented, but only Ant123 knows for sure.
... some text here ..

Ant123

Quote from: Damiano on July 12, 2020, 10:56:42 AM
Is config_raw_liveview supported on this camera??
Thank you,
Damiano
Not yet. There are no changes since 2019.