Music Video using canon mkiii and RAW (slow motion 1920x818 48fps)

Started by ganzel, September 05, 2013, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ganzel

Hi everybody,

here is my first full raw project using magic lantern and the raw capabilities.  This was entirely shot using a canon mkiii with raw.  I shot it in 1920x818 in 48 fps to play with slow motion.  Everything was imported in after effects, graded with ACR, then exported to prores 444.  The editing was made in premiere and then exported to a h264 to youtube.  The vimeo version should follow in the next few days.  I think this might give you a lot of ideas of the things you can do with magic lantern and raw using a mkiii.  If you have questions it will be my pleasure to answer them to the best of my limited knowledge...

I hope you enjoy!

Ganzel

arrinkiiii

kgv5

Great video!
I assume you have recorded squeezed footage and then un-stretched it, right?
cheers
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

ganzel

yes I did!  Thanks!

Quote from: kgv5 on September 08, 2013, 01:01:43 AM
Great video!
I assume you have recorded squeezed footage and then un-stretched it, right?
cheers

ganzel

dopepope

excellent work keeping your subjects exposed and keeping all that detail in the sky. nice

televizyonadam

Good job, bravo! May I learn how many gigabyte it took the whole shooting ?
I guess that 64gb can take around 10 minutes. With a simple calculation, around 1 hour shooting would take 384gb.
It's quite big!

ganzel

Thank you!  It took around 450 gb, so more than one hour of material.  Once everything was extracted to dng, we almost reached 1 tb.  The final prores 444 files drop the whole project back to 300 gb if my memory is good.   We were working with 2x 32 gb lexar 1000x cards and the lexar usb 3 reader, so we were almost continuously exporting cards to a laptop.  The workflow was less painful than I expected.

Quote from: televizyonadam on September 15, 2013, 09:27:18 PM
Good job, bravo! May I learn how many gigabyte it took the whole shooting ?
I guess that 64gb can take around 10 minutes. With a simple calculation, around 1 hour shooting would take 384gb.
It's quite big!

ganzel

Thanks! My circular polazier and variable ND filter helped a lot.  Also, shooting at ev -2 (or is it -0.2 i should say?) helped having a super low iso.  I think all the "sunny" shots were shot at iso 85 or 75, don't remember, but it was iso 100 minus -2 ev in magic lantern iso settings.  After that, it's just a matter of positioning actors in scene depending of the time of the day/angle of the sun.

Quote from: dopepope on September 14, 2013, 09:58:21 PM
excellent work keeping your subjects exposed and keeping all that detail in the sky. nice

vstrglv

Canon 5D3,1.1.3; Canon EOS M,202,  CF-SanDisk Extreme PRO,160MB/s, 256GB, SD-SanDisk Extreme Pro, 170MB/s, 128GB.

ganzel

Thank you, I put the raw video mode to on in magic lantern.  I then choose an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 and a resolution of 1920x818 going in options with the Q button.

Hope this helps.

KurtAugust

I think this band should be very grateful you did this with a 'hacked' camera still in 'beta'. Nice work!
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog

moebiushaydn

ganzel

Believe me they are.  They already booked me for the next one!

Quote from: KurtAugust on October 03, 2013, 09:07:52 AM
I think this band should be very grateful you did this with a 'hacked' camera still in 'beta'. Nice work!

ganzel

Thank you! I'm doing the best I can with what I have.

Quote from: moebiushaydn on October 03, 2013, 04:28:08 PM
Outstanding work! Something to aspire towards.

ganzel

here is the making of :

some parts are in french, sorry about that...

Enjoy!

canoncan

Quote from: ganzel on December 30, 2013, 10:55:59 PM

Enjoy!

I really liked the music video, and later I'll be watching your making of video. What was your workflow for the raw footage? Did you use commercial or free software? What software?

Taranis

Very nicely done, I liked it. Must have been a real challenge to shoot that girl and staying in control though :D

hjfilmspeed

Very nice. Just curious, when I use 48fps override in canons 60p mode @ 2:35:1 I only Have the option to use the squished resolution in camera 1920x508. Then i have to un squish by 1.61x in post. Is that what you did? i dont think you can shoot 1920x818 48fps in canons 24p or 30p. Even if you set fps override to 48 it will tell you that your actual fps is 34 ish. Just wondering how you did this. Nice work.

ganzel

You have to un squish it in post, that is what I did.you stretch it back from 508 to 818, the pixel are there, it is a ML bug I think.  This won't work in 24 or 30 fps mode, only in 720p 60p.  Hope this helps!

Quote from: hjfilmspeed on December 31, 2013, 08:32:00 PM
Very nice. Just curious, when I use 48fps override in canons 60p mode @ 2:35:1 I only Have the option to use the squished resolution in camera 1920x508. Then i have to un squish by 1.61x in post. Is that what you did? i dont think you can shoot 1920x818 48fps in canons 24p or 30p. Even if you set fps override to 48 it will tell you that your actual fps is 34 ish. Just wondering how you did this. Nice work.

ganzel

I had so much to do in so little time, I honestly had no time to stare.   But I get your point ;)

(ok maybe I did noticed, as the whole crew... wink wink)

Quote from: Taranis on December 31, 2013, 09:22:30 AM
Very nicely done, I liked it. Must have been a real challenge to shoot that girl and staying in control though :D

ganzel

The workflow was :
shoot on canon 5d3 on a lexar 1000x 32gb
unload on laptop
raw2dng to extract the dng files
imported in adobe after effects CS 6
color corrected
exported in prores 444
imported in adobe premiere CS 6 or CC, don't remember
edited, color graded
export

hope this helps

Quote from: canoncan on December 31, 2013, 07:18:39 AM
I really liked the music video, and later I'll be watching your making of video. What was your workflow for the raw footage? Did you use commercial or free software? What software?

hjfilmspeed

Quote from: ganzel on December 31, 2013, 09:24:40 PM
You have to un squish it in post, that is what I did.you stretch it back from 508 to 818, the pixel are there, it is a ML bug I think.  This won't work in 24 or 30 fps mode, only in 720p 60p.  Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for the speedy response! I dont think its an ML bug. I think its canons way of getting the full frame sensor to spit out 60p at 720. I remember reading ML raw just samples from the liveview what ever the sensor will allow. Something like that haha. Again nice work.

shahed26

sull8903

Ganzel, did you come across any frame dropping or any bad recordings? Do you think its safe filming a short film with the raw with out a back up recording?