Quack 'n' Run - Shooting Entirely in Crop Mode on the 5D mkII

Started by ted ramasola, September 05, 2013, 10:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

Since 3X crop is sharper and very minimal aliasing and moire I went out and tried to see whats it like to shoot entirely in crop mode.
Used a Tokina 11-16 as a 33-48 "normal" lens and an 80-200mm nikkor as a very long 240-600mm.

Also, for this piece I removed the VAF filter to get optimum sharpness.

CF Cards: KomputerBay 64gig 1000X

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

edwmotion

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 05, 2013, 10:58:49 AM
Since 3X crop is sharper and very minimal aliasing and moire I went out and tried to see whats it like to shoot entirely in crop mode.
Used a Tokina 11-16 as a 33-48 "normal" lens and an 80-200mm nikkor as a very long 240-600mm.

Can you do the same test on you 7D?

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

dariSSight

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 05, 2013, 10:58:49 AM

Did you have to back away from the subject a great amount of distance in order to frame correctly?
Canon 5D Mark II

gtsofilms

Hey Ted,

Just wondering if you had real world examples of bad aliasing and moire.  I've been doing a lot of tests and shot with 5d2 raw on a short as a second cam and only really noticed the aliasing when I was shooting a close up of a paper with a chart on it.  Most of the tests have been indoors.  Rarely do I have shots where I'm shooting directly at things that would naturally cause aliasing.  Maybe I'm just not seeing it?

Would appreciate any thoughts you have on this, thanks so much!
5D2 + Other Stuff :)
https://vimeo.com/chester112

ted ramasola

Not much samples on my 5D2 since I have the VAF for it, but here are "real world" samples that I did to test with and without the vaf.
"real world" meaning, houses, high contrast water textures, fabrics, etc.

There was a project I did a couple of years back on the 7D where moire bit me as well at 2:58

The VAF is an essential tool to add flexibility in your shots when using the canon DSLR.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Posted in Vimeo:

Probably better compression since I exported at 1280 at a higher bitrate to stay within my free account's limit
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas