need help recovering a damaged raw file

Started by georgewde, November 12, 2013, 11:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

georgewde

The damaged file has no footer and raw2dng doesn't work with it. Most of the image data seems to be there however. Is there a utility that lets me reconstruct a missing footer? Any tips how I can decode it?
raw2cdng shows me the footer information but its corrupt - the file is truncated, there is no footer info.  If I could manually edit that information then it might be possible to decode it.

maxotics

I hope I'm not the one that ends up doing this ;)  If you can shoot a very short RAW file, just a few frames, at the same res as the corrupted file, I might be able to join the "good" footer from that to the end of the corrupted file (after removing the excess data of the last corrupted frame).  Again, hope someone else has a solution.  PM me if no one can help and you must have that footage.

mageye

The following post has a lot of answers. Essentially use a hex editor like Hex Fiend. You need a rough estimation of the files size so you can work out the hex number that you need to transplant. It's a small nightmare!

I am not a developer or coder but I imagine a little utility could easily be made to fix such files as the actual task is pretty logical.

Anyway post: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8237.msg83517#msg83517
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

mageye

@RenatoPhoto

Thanks for that. That was the link I was trying to find. ;D
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7