[WONTFIX] RAW to JPEG in-camera conversion

Started by gotar, September 04, 2013, 10:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gotar

Hello everyone,

at the beginning - I am aware that this request might look like breaking "don't do anything that can't be done in postprocessing" rule, but this feature would have at least one real-life usage: freeing storage space when one runs out of it being out of civilisation. It already happened to me that I had to choose either to delete some of the already taken photos, or won't shoot any new. In such position many would happily sacrifice raw possibilities of some photos if only they could be preserved in JPEGs.

I've searched forum and bug tracker for similar request and found only off-line raw movie compression, unfortunately not possible. I hope in this case it is possible to feed raw data from storage directly into the DIGIC to perform hardware (i.e. fast) JPEG compression. Once again, I don't wish that option to be some introduction of in-camera fancy photo editor, but solely to give users comfort of shooting raws without worrying much about their size, as some of them could be shrinked afterwards (probably when there's more time to review).

Best regards and thanks to all the contributors and developers!

a1ex

You have it in Canon menu on recent cameras.

Doesn't worth the effort if you ask me. Just get another card.

gotar

Understood. However - assuming it is possible to use hw this way, maybe it would be worth to expose appropriate functions to the scripting API? This way enables e.g. file managers to handle various DIGIC-assisted tasks (I guess there are some that could find interesting usage). For example: would it be possible to use face detection to implement 'zoom to faces' in playback mode?

nanomad

Yeah, too bad we don't know how to control the JPEG/H264 chips
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5