Noob here with T3i

Started by JMASTERJ, September 04, 2013, 12:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMASTERJ

Hi all... this site just came up in a search when I was doing some research on videos of 24/30 fps and trying to get past this annoying 12 min recording limit.  I read in one of your posts that there is a hack by ggeo... sorry, forget the spelling...

Although I well well familiar with hacks for PC's and phones being a computer tech and user of custom roms in my Galaxy, I have never imagined there were such things for the camera.  I am relatively new to technical photography, but would like to do things "right."

So first, in order to get past this 12 min limit, I first have to install magic lantern and then...........? (Although some specs say the 4GB limit should allow up to 30 min recording time)
Also it seems I cant find the files that state it is compatible with the T3i... am I missing something, are you not supporting the T's anymore?

Thanks.

P.S. Is there no setting in this forum to send instant email notification for all responses/subscribe to thread etc.....?

stoopkid

t3i is also called the 600D.

With magic lantern you can lower the bit rate of the video so more can fit inside 4GB. You can also set it to 720P and set the frame rate to 30FPS to get more time in there. This will cause weird playback until you fix it in a video editor though.

There might also be a way to get over 4GB using exfat formatting but I don't know if that actually works, I haven't looked in to it. There is also a setting to make it start recording again automatically if it is stopped but you will lose a second or two.

(I don't think there is an email notify on this forum, unfortunately.)

Edit: when I set my bitrate to .7x and use 720P mode with FPS changed to 30 the camera estimates more than 35 minutes before reaching 4GB. Just under 30 minutes with just the FPS changed. I do believe that there is still a 30 minute limit though.

Datadogie

T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.