Raw 600D (T3i)

Started by onegreenev, September 03, 2013, 07:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onegreenev

Got the newest nightly build installed and got all the original files saved in case I want to go back. I started with version 2.3. No modules. Now with the newest nightly build I was able to get a modules folder and stuff on and a new autoexc file. I figured out how to have the modules auto install on startup. I went to the video section to enable Raw for this camera. All seems quite fine but when I try to start a video it only captures like 345 frames and quits. I get no RED light indicating any video. I do have an Extreme Pro SanDisk level (10) 64GB SD card that will do 95MB/s. I figured I needed one like this when I got my camera a couple years ago. I like some of the features of ML but wanted it to do Raw Video. I want to play with RAW even in the smaller output format but it does not seem to like the build.

Which build should I be using that actually works on the 600D?

Pete :)

a1ex

Should we just drop the 600D support from ML, since nobody is maintaining it?

1%

Where did all the 600D devs go? There were at least 4 or 5 people. I'm still maintaining but mostly using 6D/50D day to day so those get first priority.

onegreenev

Now video stopping after 37 frames. Wow. This really sucks. Guess I should just ditch ML until I find a good deal on a 5D II or III.

1%

Or figure out you only have 21MB/s and can record somewhere around 960*540

onegreenev

My card will do 95 MB's. The default size for Raw on the 600D is 950x540 24 fps and that is the only choice you have to pick. Do I need to change any Canon settings? Just can't figure out why it quits so fast. The standard format works great. Actually still going to keep ML because there are a few things I do like. But for RAW. I really don't want to have to tear out what little hair I have left out figuring this mess out. I also figured that Final Cut Pro X does not open raw, at least not the ones that were recoded on the card. What program will open Raw Video Files?

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: a1ex on September 03, 2013, 08:09:29 PM
Should we just drop the 600D support from ML, since nobody is maintaining it?

I've been testing the ML raw since it was available in the nightlies for the 600d,  unfortunately with poor results.  Even the lowest resolutions produce pink frames.  So I ended up going back to using TL2.0 even after your warning of unsafe code.

I would like to see the ML release improved upon (for raw), but other than testing I don't have the skill set to help out.

1%

QuoteMy card will do 95 MB's.

The camera won't. Set up the raw module, read some threads.  You probably need sraw to get continuous and have a large enough buffer to be usable.

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: 1% on September 03, 2013, 09:05:15 PM
The camera won't. Set up the raw module, read some threads.  You probably need sraw to get continuous and have a large enough buffer to be usable.

I'm getting continuous recording with TL @ 960x544 without using sraw.

Canon 1080 @24fps
default settings on everything else.

When I use ML with above settings I get a lot of pink frames.  Not sure why?

CFP

Quote from: onegreenev on September 03, 2013, 08:51:18 PMMy card will do 95 MB's.
That is right. But the 600D's SD-Controller doesn't support UHS-I. That means it can't write faster than 21.5 Megabyte per second. Even if your card was as fast as a SSD it would be useless. The camera is the bottleneck. It is completely pointless to use such a fast card as yours with this camera.

And that's also the reason why you can't get continous recordings with resolutions above 0.5 Megapixel. 0.5 Megapixel with an aspect ratio of 16:9 equals 960 X 540. So that's the default for the 600D and the only resolution that you should use for continous recordings (At 24 frames per second! Lower framerates allow higher resolutions).

And the 'SRAW' option may be called unsafe since it can't be changed from the Canon menu. That's basically it. Usually you need Magic Lantern to change the 'Pic Quality' setting back from 'SRAW'. But you can simply reset the camera in the Canon menu. That works too.

@ dslrrookie: You probably get pink frames because your buffer is too small. Use 'SRAW' to increase the shoot_malloc buffer and reduce the amount of pink frames or reduce the framerate if you need the higher resolutions. That should help.

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: CFP on September 03, 2013, 09:16:34 PM

@ dslrrookie: You probably get pink frames because your buffer is too small. Use 'SRAW' to increase the shoot_malloc buffer and reduce the amount of pink frames or reduce the framerate if you need the higher resolutions. That should help.

Using TL (without sraw) I don't get any pink frames at 960x544.

Using ML (nightly) I get pink frames regardless of settings.

deletedAcc.0021

Other than the SRAW feature, what is the difference between the code for raw in ML and TL?

CFP

Well, use Tragic Lantern :)

Even if you don't want RAW, it helps to improve the 600D's quality. At least it used to. The newer builds don't have these features anymore :(
(@ 1% do you already know when the GOP & slice control will come back? :D)

Pink frames seem to appear if the buffer fills up too fast.

If you use resolutions above 0.5 Megapixel the buffer fills up faster than the camera can write stuff to the SD-Card. So you'll probably get pink frames even with Tragic Lantern. If you increase the size of your RAW buffer (shoot_malloc) you can film at higher resolutions without getting pink frames. At least it works like this with my 600D and the current Tragic Lantern build. I usually shoot at 1280 X 512 (0.65 Megapixel | 1:2.5 aspect ratio) with 24 frames per second (27.5 Megabyte/s write speed required). With 'SRAW' I can film for slightly above 10 seconds and get 0 pink frames.

But if you don't want to use 'SRAW' and really need to use resolutions above 0.5 Megapixel, decreasing the framerate might be the only way to avoid pink frames.

N/A

The nighly build doesn't have the option to disable GD in raw video menu, does it? Try turning off GD manually before you start a raw recording, see if that helps with the pink plague.

I'd love to see development continue for 600D, especially in light of the dual iso capabilities. Seems like our little camera is an oddball, though. So much potential with just one limiting factor. I agree that newer cameras need more attention. If we can get .mlv ported to 600D I'd be satisfied, never imagined we'd get this far, honestly.

7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

onegreenev

So with all things as they are, shooting RAW with a 600D is pretty pointless. So I am going to go back to ML 2.3 and go from there again. I may actually go with a BlackMagic Camera instead of mucking around with the Canon.

I would love to have a camera that has a 35mm size receptor. The BlackMagic does not but will do RAW out of the gate. I am at odds with getting a BlackMagic or 5D III. If cost was the only issue the BlackMagic is the winner hands down.

Anyone have any thing to say about the BlackMagic Camera?

N/A

I'd go with the MkIII, personally. Raw video and photo features that are outstanding with ML's support. Dual Iso continues to improve on a daily basis. A huge open-source community all working together to improve upon what we own.

deletedAcc.0021

I'm extremely happy with ML.  I still use the nightly's for commercial use, and tragic lantern for personal stuff.

onegreenev

Which is the best build at this time? Link? So much to look at but really don't want to try every piece. The current one I have has some funky glitch that flickers the monitor from one screen to another. Weird and can't really explain it. Just don't want it. I want 16Gig Movies.

N/A

1%

Quote(@ 1% do you already know when the GOP & slice control will come back?

Ironically prolly with 7D development.

600D is good as an audio recorder too :) paired up with 50D shooting the video. You can make some really nice everything, time lapse, stills, etc. Just raw video data rates flood CF cameras even.

If you were to buy it specifically for raw, don't... but a lot of us had a 600D first.. and probably before that XTI (it was top on flickr I think).

The flicker is because the sync function is 90% likely running more than once per frame and taking up CPU... look at MZ you get pink frames as soon as the raw module loads and starts doing the modules_vsync_cbr from the EVF state. Before it would crash and when I patched the crash I found that everything slowed to a crawl. So this is the top issue with this camera 100%, if I figure out a fix then there should be no more pink frames... nothing is using the edmac so either its firing off too much or hooking into evf state wrong (doesn't do it on display_state for filters so probably #1)

onegreenev

Reloaded sixthirty from Tragic Lantern. Keeping video Raw turned off. Back to standard HD Quicktime Format. Works just fine that way. Going to check out this Audio Recording function. Interesting. I usually use a nice USB Studio mic on my other computer when recording in my office. Much better audio that way but I need to sic it to the video. Not hard to do.

onegreenev

Don't see using audio recording while recording. Tried it and it froze my system. Had to remove battery. When rebooted it did not load the modules due to being turned off incorrectly. Rebooted again and all was fine again.

1%

You would record separate wav or with a crappy H264 like .1x

onegreenev

Would be pretty cool to have the camera record .wav while recording so you have on your camera a separate audio file and video file. That way you don't have to use two systems for good audio and you don't need to use Canon quality (crappy) audio. And if your out in the field you don't have to take along all that extra equipment. Just connect a good shotgun and go.